Video Files on Forum ×

A little jam between the US and UK

Hugh O Kelly

I must ask, how are you doing the collaboration?  An existing service?  Live or recorded?  Audio or MIDI?  Are there significant time lags?

Funny you should mention reggae.  I was just in St. Lucia and a little 3-4 piece band was playing quite a few popular tunes with a reggae flavor.  I told myself I'd have to do some cross-genre covers!

Yes I'm hoping that there are more programmers like Brad out there that can make up other stage setting like swing,blues texan blues/Delbert McClinton,western swing etc.

Brad ,if you have the time and the inclination I'm sure there are a lot more members including me that would like to know how to make up the program you made and perhaps there will be more genders made for all of us to enjoy  :P 

Here is a little tune I wrote in logic and the PX-5s 

• Like 1

Ah.  I was getting intercontinental jam session envy!  It made me think, though...

It might be kinda cool to have a low-bandwith MIDI-powered jam session.  I don't know if such things exist, but I can visualize two PX-5S users with identical setups transferring MIDI data instead of audio for a super-low bandwidth connection.  I would imagine that might nearly eliminate time lag.  And if Casio made a softsynth version of the PX-5S available, that could really rock things!  I don't know if a MIDI-sharing service already exists.  I'd imagine it does.

I dig the tunes, by the way!

• Like 1

Sorry Hugh, I won't be making a bunch of styles.  In the future, my accomp needs will be serviced by my MZ-2000.  

If you would like to know how I did it, here's how.  

Accomp keyboards have rhythms that play out on 8 channels outside of the 4 playable zones.  On the 5s we can only put phrases on the 4 zones so immediately we are in trouble for making a rhythm.  To overcome some of this limitation, I have taken advantage of the hex layer tone.  The hex tone can be designed in a way that 6 separate tones can be mapped out across the 132 note (11 octave) midi keyboard map.  This allows up to 6 different parts of a rhythm to be placed in one zone.  Of course to do that, all of your parts need to fit into one phrase.  You'll need midi editing software to do this.  Now....to make all of these parts fit into one phrase is a bit of a head scratching give-and-take.  You must arrange your parts in a way that they will have sufficient space for the transposing in order to prevent one part from playing over into the next tone zone.  I've never put more than 4 parts in a phrase/hexlayer because of this.  Next comes drums.  Drums can only be on zone 1.  If we want drums we have to sacrifice zone 1 for them which makes the hexlayer I just described have to go to zone 2 since z3 and 4 cannot do hex tones.  Now this leaves us no choice of hex tones for actual keyboard playing.  We have to use melody tones on Z3 and Z4 to play along with our rhythm. So now.....we have "up to" a 7 part (realistically, 5 parts max) accomp pattern squeezed into Z1 and Z2.  The next big problem.  The PX5s doesn't do chord detection.  The PX5 will only transpose a phrase.  As a result, the sound of the phrase becomes unnatural outside of a range and changing the chord of a phrase is not possible.  You'll have to change the phrase to change the chord.  

Any questions?

Brad,Don't worry.

I wasn't asking you specifically.

"Yes I'm hoping that there are more programmers like Brad out there that can make up other stage setting like swing,blues texan blues/Delbert McClinton,western swing etc."

The hex layer tones at the moment are above my comprehension

Just wondering if you had the bluegrass set up,

if you could make a cut down version and leave out the third of the scale

so one could play minors and well as major chords.

But as it, is it is just 

GREAT

Are you sure it's the computer that can't see the PX-5S, or just the editor? You may want to try to cycle the connection in the editor (preferences screen, then the little button with the two blue arrows at the top right). If that fails, try communicating with the keyboard from another program. If that fails, make sure the USB connection didn't get turned off in the PX-5S itself (I don't remember which menu that's under, probably system settings). Having a computer technician fix the jack sounds like a recipe for disaster.

• Like 1

Are you sure it's the computer that can't see the PX-5S, or just the editor? You may want to try to cycle the connection in the editor (preferences screen, then the little button with the two blue arrows at the top right). If that fails, try communicating with the keyboard from another program. If that fails, make sure the USB connection didn't get turned off in the PX-5S itself (I don't remember which menu that's under, probably system settings). Having a computer technician fix the jack sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Yes Hugh.. try all these troubleshooting steps.. Also, do you have another computer you can try?