What the next XW should have.

Then what's the big freaking secret?  Does Casio think users don't have a right to know whether or not their equipment is functioning properly?

Kurzweil makes no secret of diagnostic mode and readily tells everyone how to access it.

Gary

How about Phase Distortion Synthesis like the CZ/VZ series? Chuck tonewheel organ (snore) and put in PD! Many old Casio Pro synths gave you graphic envelope editing, I was shocked the XW didn't come with it considering the size of its screen. Lets have that back too. And how about Midi In, Out and Thru? The Out/Thru thing is a PITA if you need to chain other modules and still want to use the software editor....

• 1 year later...

I would like a seamless cross fade or some cross over for sample loops when I switch to another while playing on the XW, Sometimes I have two matching and diverse loops and want one to take over the other with no timing issue's specially when its a bit of a intro, break switching between step sequence and sample.

Hmm... Be careful. Without knowing specifics regarding internal midi chips making up the Casio din connections in and out it might short something out. DIN connections usually carry some low voltage I think it's 5 volts like a USB bus connector. Il'd check the midi specs first. I'm not sure I'd try it.There are optocouplers for each midi din instrument to keep data signals clean and to prevent voltage from going directly into one from another. I'm not sure if the optocoupler in one instrument protects it from its own signal and voltage. Better do a little more electronics FAQ finding first before you might fry your din ports.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

While it's true the basic PCM samples (especially pianos) are pretty weak, the Synth section and the Hex Layers more than make up for the weakness.  Plus the ability to incorporate PCM tones into the Hex Layers makes for some very phat and rich sounding patches.

What it boils down to is what were your intentions when you bought the board initially?  I bought mine mainly for the VA synth capabilities, not really for the bread and butter sounds.  As far as I'm concerned the drawbar organs and the Hex layers were a welcome bonus.

As for PCM sounds?  I have better gear in my rack to cover those deficiencies.

Gary ;)

My thoughts about the XW PCM.

Its true the PCM are no crisp waves and they do not seem what I think they are just as BrettM wrote in his post found several filter differences on them.

The waves where composed purely for the  XW synth engine, I have a feeling those waves consist with a bit more wave processing all based on the

quality of the engine which could be based on 8 / 16 bit wave parts. And as it seems compression is part of the engineering mantra at this device

probably also the reason why there is a small rompler footprint. Thus the different waves on the XW might have resonance sweep at certain parts and

others none, Just as there are waves with analog parts in them seems more like waves with sonic three dimension parts build in to keep them compact

and small :unsure:.  

It shows compared to the PX5S which has a stronger synth engine and more fidelity, The waves where probably designed being hybrid to begin with *guessing*, 

with XW  as the engine developed it became what it was based on the processing capabilities given and the other parts sequencing, arpeggio etc.

How the tones sound on themselves seem to be Casio characteristic sound design, Crisp in one spectrum of the sound and muffled in another, 

All together a variant tonality recognizable to some of their sound engines like AHL, AIR, HPSS. I'm only guessing if some of these complex hybrid waves are also made for the PX5S.  

My thoughts about the XW PCM.

I'm only guessing if some of these complex hybrid waves are also made for the PX5S.  

I would hazard to guess that many (if not all) of the "base" waveforms (ie samples) are identical, but the PX-5S has a much more robust DSP.  Again, this is a guess as well. Brad spends a lot of time in that "sound space" so he could probably shed some more light on this. 

I only have the XW-P1 and PX350 but would a software spectrum analyzer connected to the audio outputs work? I'm also thinking there may be a faster CPU in the PX5s (and PX350) which can read the sample tables faster-even if the samples are basically the same content-the ability of the CPU to read out the sample tables faster would affect the sound quality-just a guess. And 8-bit vs. 16-bit samples, I can't imagine the XW sounding this good with 8-bit samples but I guess it's possible.

A software standalone spectrum analyser might work but the D/A conversion on a 44.1 KHz soundcard will probably not yield too much useful information when it comes to higher order harmonics.

It may be sufficient to determine whether or not the two keyboards have identical fingerprints for a few basic sounds , such as the pianos and organs.

Gary ;)

Actually that is... its all ready a known fact compression is used for the waveform. 

Besides the fidelity role  in case of the G1 using waves could be done by creating a sampled wave with the resonance

or any other filter curve inside the wave. This method would be much more easier then a spectrum

analyzer speaking of which any daw has the proper tools suffice for that purpose :huh:.

http://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/topic/6160-using-the-xws-resonant-filter-with-polyphonic-tones/

Plus there is a fidelity difference between the G1 and P1 overall, The P1 has better instrument waves which is a fact.

The interesting part still remains if two tones are layered and resonance is applied depending on the wave some do 

get canceled out by an resonance value. BrettM and Chas used and played with the filters not particular for that reason

tho. 

I'm curious if the XW engine recognize such curves , I've found such an application to design waves and experiment at. 

I would love it if they would spend some time working on a better Leslie simulator.  Also, it would be nice if the draw bars were a little smoother sounding when adjusting them while playing.  In regards to the Leslie simulation, I would love to be able to play the electric piano sounds with some Leslie too.  I am currently using a Boss RT 20 Rotory Ensemble pedal.  The 60's electric piano patch played through the RT 20 (On the right setting) sounds very reminiscent of the piano in "No Quarter."  I have been playing with that sound for the last week and am seriously addicted.  BTW... it goes without saying that The Rotory Ensemble pedal fills up the organ and electric piano sounds, giving me the B3 and vintage keyboard sounds that I have coveted for so long.  Before I stumbled onto this keyboard, I thought I would have to save up until I had $1000.00 or more.  I am on a serious budget, and I love what the XW P1 with the Boss RT 20 give me.  It would be nice if I could get this sound out of the Keyboard alone.  I can't complain to much, because I only paid $300.00 for the XW P1 and $125.00 for the RT 20.  If it got stolen, I would be more than willing to replace the board at full price, even without better simulation and draw bars.  Awesome job Casio...  I will be picking up a Privia PX 5S within a year.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...