What the next XW should have.

I second everything you just wrote above, Korakios.

Daryl (post #48), I think "No Quarter" was originally performed with an EP through a fairly fast phaser. I can get pretty close to it with the on-board XW phaser DSP with the LFO rate set to about 68.

Addict (post #49), I've just posted a method for producing stutter effects in the step sequencer in real-time: http://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/topic/8561-stutter-effects/

I second everything you just wrote above, Korakios.

Daryl (post #48), I think "No Quater" was originally performed with an EP through a fairly fast phaser. I can get pretty close to it with the on-board XW phaser DSP with the LFO rate set to about 68.

Addict (post #49), I've just posted a method for producing stutter effects in the step sequencer in real-time: http://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/topic/8561-stutter-effects/

I kinda want to do it with out being a finger gymnast  :D

• 2 weeks later...

After spending alot of time playing the XW-P1, studying it's features, messing with every possible convoluted function I could wrap my tiny head around, I'm beginning to think this will eventually become a sort of "cult" machine, not only for what it can do and how it sounds, but because of its warts and imperfections. sure there is a "perfect" more or less keyboard out there somewhere, but this is stamping more and more of it's unique signature into how i create music. It may never become the "landmark' synth such as the earlier stuff like the original DX7, etc. But it has it's own identity-sort of a cross between a

1) cheap Hammond/electric piano (without the non-functioning keys that always broke on the tine pianos or the 1/2 ton weight of both)

2) all the Korg/Roland/Yamaha electribe/RM1x/Boss dance modules

3) the earliest analog sequencers.arpegiators ala Arp/Moog/Sequential (without the beautifully cruddy sounding mis-triggering and filters that went out of tune and

4) Casio's very own unique PD synthesis ala the Czs, HTs etc.

So overall, even if Casio incorporated every single feature mentioned in these posts in the new XW-CZ-WK-MZ3000-5000 with an 8-octave transplanted Steinway keyboard action, 6 control pedal inputs and the newest telepathic input transmogrificator I think the XWs as time passes, will end up being one of those "niche" instruments that someday our kids will pay 5000 bucks for on eBay for a used one with wires hanging out of it and gouge marks when one of us hit it with a chisel while trying to figure out how to create 2 hex layers in one performance slot on top of an arpeggio, a phrase and all 16 tracks of the mixer doing something-with the right midi triggers connected to the correct cc meassages I think I can get it to turn lights on and off in my house (uh-oh, now everyone will want to know how to do this!) :o:P:blink::rolleyes:

• Like 3

After spending alot of time playing the XW-P1, studying it's features, messing with every possible convoluted function I could wrap my tiny head around, I'm beginning to think this will eventually become a sort of "cult" machine, not only for what it can do and how it sounds, but because of its warts and imperfections. sure there is a "perfect" more or less keyboard out there somewhere, but this is stamping more and more of it's unique signature into how i create music. It may never become the "landmark' synth such as the earlier stuff like the original DX7, etc. But it has it's own identity-sort of a cross between a

1) cheap Hammond/electric piano (without the non-functioning keys that always broke on the tine pianos or the 1/2 ton weight of both)

2) all the Korg/Roland/Yamaha electribe/RM1x/Boss dance modules

3) the earliest analog sequencers.arpegiators ala Arp/Moog/Sequential (without the beautifully cruddy sounding mis-triggering and filters that went out of tune and

4) Casio's very own unique PD synthesis ala the Czs, HTs etc.

So overall, even if Casio incorporated every single feature mentioned in these posts in the new XW-CZ-WK-MZ3000-5000 with an 8-octave transplanted Steinway keyboard action, 6 control pedal inputs and the newest telepathic input transmogrificator I think the XWs as time passes, will end up being one of those "niche" instruments that someday our kids will pay 5000 bucks for on eBay for a used one with wires hanging out of it and gouge marks when one of us hit it with a chisel while trying to figure out how to create 2 hex layers in one performance slot on top of an arpeggio, a phrase and all 16 tracks of the mixer doing something-with the right midi triggers connected to the correct cc meassages I think I can get it to turn lights on and off in my house (uh-oh, now everyone will want to know how to do this!) :o:P:blink::rolleyes:

I hope so as long if it stay midi complaint with the latest midi version that is. The step sequencer is kick-ass needs more stability on timing etc tho.  

Little late replying, but for those reading this thread now:

I am currently using a Boss RT 20 Rotory Ensemble pedal.  The 60's electric piano patch played through the RT 20 (On the right setting) sounds very reminiscent of the piano in "No Quarter."  

"No quarter" is a phaser effect on EP.  Both XW's can do this internally fairly well.  

Tone mode>select 60s EP.

Edit the tone>dsp on>dsp edit>select phaser>rate 80, resonance 80, lfowaveform triangle.

Write tone. 

Solo mode for hexlayer, sync for hexlayer, FM for hexlayer, basically a roland gaia with 6 oscillators. And under no circumstances you don't forget to include revese sawtooth waves. With those things you can do completely new type of sound synthesis. 

And I must repeat myself just if you forgotten: LOTS OF KNOBS AND LOTS OF FADERS ! I don't mind to give an extra 200 or 300 euros if I get hands on controll.