The Casio XW-Z -MPC Controller Synth

Ah,  eventually a few of the folks here did rekindle this thread albeit over a  over a week later, but anyway seeing as Namm 2014 is upon us, I thought I'd reply to a few direct posts since I was here last.

Can you do the same thing, but use a Native Instruments Maschine Studio or Mk2?  :)

Interesting question, thought what exactly would you take from that other controller and what would be feasible in making it all work correctly is another. There is only so much space available so essence a totally redesign of the manufacturing process of the keyboard would possibly be necessary such as adopting a modular mechanised solution or addon displays. Sample editing screens like those of Mashcine Studio's are aspects which would preferably be something akin to fold up displays from the edge, giving easier accessibility and overview than having to enter display menu's. The Maschine Micro version with it's simplified surface would possibly be adaptable though. With the Casio redesign's the aim was an evolutionary realistic one that Casio could consider without completely abandoning it's current design and pushing it forward as a real must have product.    

As I mentioned earlier, my hands are tied up with something else atm gui wise so no plans for a resdesign at present. This is actually a pretty old project in the scheme of things.

Loving these concepts! One thing I would question though is having both the CZ-1 and CZ 101 as the two onboard 'synth engines'. The sound generation for both is identical, the CZ-1 is in all essence just a more powerful CZ 101 (with extra features and double the polyphony). I'd like to see maybe the HT6000 as a second synth engine, or maybe even a whole bank of infamous retro Casios recreated.  Imagine having all that at your fingertips :)

Thanks, I think they were both included as it's something I saw mentioned on a forum somewhere so didn't have much knowledge of how they actually differed, however my first ever keyboard was Casio SK1 Sampling Keyboard around the age of 8 back in the 80's lol. It would be preety funny to see that on the XWZ.

See what you can do with this.  BTW.  There's no good pics of this on google.  I'll have to make a good one someday. For now this will have to do.

1376915624_535612536_1-Pictures-of--keyb

Humm, whilst I really like that keyboard, to do any actual image editing with that picture, I feel would be pretty difficult to pull off with lots of compositing required, possibly also in 3D and with a low grade quality of that photo, the time it would take wouldn't really be rewarded visually besides the technical issues. You can always imagine though in visualising some elements that could be adopted.   

• Like 1

Here's something a little more plausible. Everything is to proper scale. If I could take pre-orders I would. :D

post-1631-0-11478700-1390531848.jpg

PS. I'm only posting this because with NAMM upon us and Casio definitely NOT announcing a new keyboard at the show there is no danger now of anyone believing this is real, even though it sure looks like it could be. Please resist the temptation to use the image in order to fake someone out.

post-1631-0-11478700-1390531848_thumb.jp

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Here's some photo compositing images I did with the current manufactures product, the XW-G1. Previously posted over on Gearslutz where Casio's Mike Martin had commented directly on them and gave some feedback  about the connectivity limitations.

Yes those controllers are very cool but are really for synths apps/VSTis. You may be able to use them with the XWs by using a computer as a "go between" - IDK I need to try it sometime.

That being said - real time controls and pads are very fun. If you get a midi controller keyboard that has all those knobs sliders and pads you can DIRECTLY use it with a synth like the XW or PX-5S if it has a 5-pin MIDI out. The Arturia KeyLab series comes to mind but there are others as well. Cool stuff. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...