LK 280: how to split a file into lesson parts

_Stf_

Hi,

I have converted several midi files into cm2 files. (with smf converter)

That works fine. Left hand and right hand are goods.

Now I want to learn the added file thanks to lesson feature.

But the "Step up lesson" section plays the whole music (i.e. the music is not split into lessons).

How can I put mark into my midi file to cut my music into several parts (lessons)?

I hope someone knows how to do it.

Thank you

• Like 1

Howdy _Stf_, I got this keyboard for Christmas and I'm currently battling through the same process as you.  How did you split the piano part of the midi into left and right parts?  I went to an online shop and bought what I think is a professional midi and it only had one piano part,  I cloned it but it is still just playin gboth hands together,  is there something else I'm meant to do?

On to your point about adding a mark,  I'm not sure how but I would add it at an even split in the tempo or ever 4 bars of music.  Something like that so it's only parcels of the song at once.  I'm having the same issue though as I can't get it to split into lessons and it plays the whole song with both hands.

• 2 weeks later...

How did you split the piano part of the midi into left and right parts?  I went to an online shop and bought what I think is a professional midi and it only had one piano part,  I cloned it but it is still just playin gboth hands together,  is there something else I'm meant to do?

Hi lk280king,

In fact you have to export left hand on channel 3 and right hand on channel 4 of your midi file.

In my case, I use MuseScore. I create a sheet with 4 instruments.

I put left hand on the 3rd instrument and I put right hand on the 4th instrument.

1st and 2nd are empty

That's work fine.

To answer to my question, I've just an answer from casio. It's not possible to add marks :(

Bad luck

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

It's an old post,but I've just bought a new LK280. After some experiments I found a way to split lessons with midi files. I use midi on the sd card. First select a song from the song bank (not the card). Go to Options -> Lesson -> phrase lenght. Select Pr3. Start auto Lesson and stop it. Load the midi from the card. Now it is splitted and work like internal song with multiple parts. It doesn't show finger Numbers but it works. Tell me (old post I know) if it work also for you.

Bye

• 3 years later...

Hi, that worked for me too. The only problem that I could tell is that it splits in a nonsense places, in the middle of a phrase for example. It just splits it periodically. There is 3 option for the range of the splitting PR1-PR2-PR3. PR3 is the longest. It works but its kind a half solution.

It would be really nice feature if we could mark the sections in the midi file.

• 1 year later...

Hey everyone!  I’m new here and I want to take midi files and learn the melodies while the accompaniment plays.  I have a WK-500.  What do I have to do to use the lesson feature on my keyboard?  I’ve read a few posts which seem to suggest that the midi files need to be converted to Casio’s proprietary file format.  Am on the right track or is this not possible?  Thx for your help!

Pete

The Casio SMF Converter program was designed during the reign of Windows 98SE to convert generic Standard MIDI Files, from various sources, to a Casio proprietary CM2 Song File Format to make them compatible with the Casio "Step-Up Lesson" features of those models, so equipped, but how successful it was in doing this is highly questionable, at best.  Left hand note data needs to be on Track/Channel 3, while right hand note data needs to be on Track/Channel 4.  Casio terms these as the "Navigate Channels", but precious few SMF's meet this requirement, and many have BOTH left and right hand note data on the SAME Track/Channel.  The SMF Converter program makes no attempt to correct this.  Instead, you must use a computer based DAW/Sequencer program to make those corrections manually, yourself.  To date, no one has succeeded in making a conversion that works 100% with all of the Step-Up Lesson features.  The "fingering" indicators in the display panels and the "Listen/Wait" features appear to work only with the built-in songs.  As indicated by the discussions above, in this thread, manually inserting "markers" into the note data to separate the song into easily learnable "phrases" is not entirely successful.  So are there any advantages to using the Converter program?  Yes!  It provides a means of storing song data in the keyboard's internal CM2 compatible Song Memory (if equipped), on those Step-Up Lesson models not equipped to access external storage devices, such as Smart Media Cards, or SD Memory Cards, or USB Flash Drives.  If you are interested, you can download the Converter from:

https://music.casio.com/e/smf/

If you can find a compatibility statement about Windows 10, it will tell you that it is not, or more generally, that it is not compatible with any of the 64 bit Windows systems, but I currently have it running on a 32 bit Windows XP (SP3) laptop, a 64 bit Vista desktop, a 64 bit Windows 7 laptop, and a 64 bit Windows 10 laptop.  This is not the only older download being offered this way.  I think this is just Casio's way of saying that it is no longer supported.  Here it is!  If you try it and it works, OK,  If not, OK, but in either case, just don't call the Support line about it.

Pete

I over simplified my discussion a bit.  On the WK-500, and many of the newer Step-Up Lesson models, the right hand Navigate Channel is actaully assignable from Channel 02 to 16, with the adjacent lower channel being automatically assigned to the left, but it defaults to Channel 04, making Channel 03 the left Navigate Channel.  I recommend leaving them at their default values.  If you re-assign them to match the MIDI files, then you need some way to remember what Navigate Channel settings each MIDI files needs, but if you leave them at their defaults, and modify each of the MIDI files to match the keyboard, then when you retrieve one of those files at some future date, you know it has already been modified to match the keyboard.  No second guessing.

- T -