Video Files on Forum ×

Casio obsession....

Chas

OK, ok. It's like a drug. I can't resist picking up old, bargain Casios!

I was browsing through Ebay seeing what interesting Casios were on offer when I saw an MT750 that had been re-listed for about the 3rd time. It's not a model that I am familiar with, though with a five octave keyboard and plenty of sounds/ functions it looked to be quite well specified. It has 3 keys missing, along with the slider caps, otherwise it is complete and working. It also came with a hefty power supply that on its own was worth the price, including postage, of the MT750. I put in an amount matching the starting bid of £10, no-one else bid, and I become the owner of an MT750

It arrived yesterday and it is indeed an interesting little pre-set synth. It has 220 PCM 'tones', 110 'beats', a basic envelope function to mess around with the tones, a pitch bend wheel (very limited range), a 'multi accompaniment system' (buttons that give you variations/ fills for the drums/ rhythm section) and MIDI in/ out/ through.

Some of the sounds are actually quite good, and it seems to have a number of similarities with my CTK1000, a Casio that claims to use the 'IXA sounds source', which I've never seen mentioned on any other Casio. Unlike the CTK1000, the keyboard isn't velocity sensitive. The construction is also similar to the 'HT' and later 'MT' series, even the switches and sliders look similar, and they all use PCM for sound generation. Also, like the HT series the MT 750's pitch bend wheel only has a limited range of approx. +/- 5 semi tones, not a full +/- octave like the CZ's. Unlike the HT range, the MT750 lacks the programmable drums and rhythm sections, though it does have a record function that allows you record and playback your playing. There also isn't extensive control over the amplifier (VCA) and no filter (VCF), which is a shame as with so many sounds that really would have made it fun. However, I am going to get some leads so I can feed it through my Korg Monotron's filter, which should make things very interesting indeed!

I'm also going to see if I can find a broken MT to raid for its keys, as though the rubber contacts are there for the missing keys on my MT 750, it would be nice to have all keys there to play with.

Oh, and the demonstration song is 'The way that you love me', by Paula Abdul. Very 80's sounding - bonus! :-p

post-2103-0-57894000-1389452016.jpg

post-2103-0-87400200-1389452051.jpg

post-2103-0-54165500-1389452092.jpg

post-2103-0-57894000-1389452016_thumb.jp

post-2103-0-87400200-1389452051_thumb.jp

post-2103-0-54165500-1389452092_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Nice catch!  As many different Casio models as I think I know about, there's always one more I haven't seen yet.  When will the wonders cease? Open her up and see what the date is. 

Also, I have a very special request.  Can you record the drum samples from that model and upload them?  Or any other interesting sample you may like.   I'd love to convert them and add them to the XW-G1. 

I've also been trying to figure out a Casio timeline.  When did they change from CT models to CTK?  Was the CTK-1000 the first CTK?  When and what was the last MT model?  What was the first WK model and what year?  Lot's of questions.  

Nice catch!  As many different Casio models as I think I know about, there's always one more I haven't seen yet.  When will the wonders cease? Open her up and see what the date is. 

Also, I have a very special request.  Can you record the drum samples from that model and upload them?  Or any other interesting sample you may like.   I'd love to convert them and add them to the XW-G1. 

I've also been trying to figure out a Casio timeline.  When did they change from CT models to CTK?  Was the CTK-1000 the first CTK?  When and what was the last MT model?  What was the first WK model and what year?  Lot's of questions.  

Brad, I've not had a chance to fiddle around much with the MT750 yet, let alone open it up. As to the year, I suspect it is very early 1990's seeing as the the re-released Paula Abdul song 'The way that you love me' was a hit in Autumn 1989:

"In the autumn of 1989 in the US, "The Way That You Love Me" was rereleased in its original edit. This time, it became a huge success, peaking at #3 on the Billboard Hot 100 on December 2, 1989, blocked from the top by Milli Vanilli's "Blame It On The Rain." It was subsequently included as the demonstration song on several Casio keyboards (e.g. CT-670 ToneBank Keyboard)." 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/(It's_Just)_The_Way_That_You_Love_Me

As for a Casio timeline, there are a few sites on the web discussing and documenting older Casios, though how accurate some are is anyone's guess. This one is quite good:

http://generror.wordpress.com/2010/07/05/history-of-casio-keyboards-1/

However, they claim that the HT series uses 'Consonant Vowel', which is not true as they use 'Spectrum Dynamics', which is just a fancy way of saying Pulse Code Modulation (PCM). The HT's even say 'Pulse Code Modulation' on their cases!  Plenty of information regarding the first Casios and those through the 80's, though very little of the 1990's models. My suspicion is that most 90's Casios used PCM based sounds up until the MZ2000.

As for sampling the drum samples off the MT750 I can try. What is weird is that across the case, above the key bed, are little logos of the various drum and percussion instruments. On my HT700, which has similar logos across the case, these show you which keys trigger the specific drums/ percussion when recording a new pattern. However, the MT750 has non programmable drums and no apparent way of playing the drums individually. I even managed to download an MT750 user manual and still nothing about how to play the drums on their own. It almost appears that these drum logos on the case are merely decorative. Weird.

What what way do you think is best to sample the drums? Straight into the computer? Or use the XW-G1? It will be a lot easier if I can get the samples on the computer for editing purpose as I suspect I will have to sample a drum track and then pick out the individual drums. Also, I am very green when it comes to sampling (I have a lot to learn!) Let me know what way is best and if I can do it that way, I will.

BTW, there's some weird speculation regarding the CTK1000 model and it's sound generation. Some reckon it was Casio's next development step after the VZ series, but the Yamaha lawsuit caused them to pull out of the pro synth market. Instead, some speculate that Casio stuffed this new technology into the CTK1000, called it the 'IXA sound source' and then gave up on it and just concentrated on home keyboards. Apparently it doesn't sound like any of the other CTK models despite sharing the 'CTK' name. Some discussion here:

http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=33140

Anyway, let me know what way you think would be best for me to sample the drums off the MT750. Cheers!

Brad, I've not had a chance to fiddle around much with the MT750 yet, let alone open it up. As to the year, I suspect it is very early 1990's seeing as the the re-released Paula Abdul song 'The way that you love me' was a hit in Autumn 1989:

I assumed that as well.  My 1989 CT had the 1st gen Tonebank Chip.  This improved model surely is later. 

As for a Casio timeline, there are a few sites on the web discussing and documenting older Casios, though how accurate some are is anyone's guess. This one is quite good:

http://generror.wordpress.com/2010/07/05/history-of-casio-keyboards-1/

Thanks for the link.  I stumbled upon that site once before. It's an interesting read. I hope he finishes it one day. 

Plenty of information regarding the first Casios and those through the 80's, though very little of the 1990's models. My suspicion is that most 90's Casios used PCM based sounds up until the MZ2000.

I don't know of a single Casio in the 90's that wasn't sample based boards.  The MZ-2000 is also totally sample based. It's just that with the arrival of that model, the sound generator and samples were greatly improved and the sample set was almost completely new.  I have a WK board from 1997 and it sounded real good at the time but it's rather digital sounding looking back.  There's aliasing in things like piano tones. What's astonishing is that some of the drum samples used in that WK (which I suspect premiered in the CTK-1000) and many others models with that gen of sound chip have come back in the new models... even the PX5s. Although played back in the new models they sound more rich.

As for sampling the drum samples off the MT750 I can try. What is weird is that across the case, above the key bed, are little logos of the various drum and percussion instruments. On my HT700, which has similar logos across the case, these show you which keys trigger the specific drums/ percussion when recording a new pattern. However, the MT750 has non programmable drums and no apparent way of playing the drums individually. I even managed to download an MT750 user manual and still nothing about how to play the drums on their own. It almost appears that these drum logos on the case are merely decorative. Weird.

This is surprising. It should be similar to my Tonebank. Is there a percussion tone among the tone select buttons?

BTW, there's some weird speculation regarding the CTK1000 model and it's sound generation. Some reckon it was Casio's next development step after the VZ series, but the Yamaha lawsuit caused them to pull out of the pro synth market. Instead, some speculate that Casio stuffed this new technology into the CTK1000, called it the 'IXA sound source' and then gave up on it and just concentrated on home keyboards. Apparently it doesn't sound like any of the other CTK models despite sharing the 'CTK' name. Some discussion here:

I listened and looked at some CTK-1000 info.  Here's my take.  The CTK-1000 is a keyboard that showcased everything to come in Casio's future models in the same way the MZ-2000 did.  And just like the MZ-2000, it took many years for the average model in Casio's line-up to catch up to the CTK-1000 and even then I'll guess that a few features were left only to that CTK-1000.  I'll say, after listening to the CTK-1000, that it's sound set and generator sounds alot like my 1997 WK. I would guess that the IXA sound source is really in most of the models that were released after the CTK-1000 and up to the MZ-2000.  The MZ-2000 premiered the ZPI sound source.  Many models that came after it had the ZPI source in the same way. Casio does this.  They design a tricked out "concept" model and sell it. Then everything that comes after it recycles parts of the original "concept" in a lesser form while the engineers move onto other projects for a few years.  This is my take on how they operate.  But I don't really know. 

What what way do you think is best to sample the drums? Straight into the computer? Or use the XW-G1? It will be a lot easier if I can get the samples on the computer for editing purpose as I suspect I will have to sample a drum track and then pick out the individual drums. Also, I am very green when it comes to sampling (I have a lot to learn!) Let me know what way is best and if I can do it that way, I will.

If you can get the drums to play on the keys, I would record directly to your computer in one shot. One .wav file would do it.  Play each drum sound on each key leaving a little air in between for splitting into separate files later on.  I can do the editing into individual samples or you can if you want.  Most of the time I don't use the G1 for editing samples.  I use the Data Editor and Audacity.  

Sorry for the delay in replying Brad, the past few weeks have been a bit crazy.

This is surprising. It should be similar to my Tonebank. Is there a percussion tone among the tone select buttons?

Ah, yes, there is. It's in the second bank (no.12), called 'Percussion II'. I feel stupid now, it was staring at me in the face all along...!  :wacko:

If you can get the drums to play on the keys, I would record directly to your computer in one shot. One .wav file would do it.  Play each drum sound on each key leaving a little air in between for splitting into separate files later on.  I can do the editing into individual samples or you can if you want.  Most of the time I don't use the G1 for editing samples.  I use the Data Editor and Audacity.  

I shall do this as soon as I get a free moment. Should be easy enough to record a stereo in to my PC from the MT750 and record each percussion sound on one .wav file for you. Bear with me, I've hardly had a chance to touch any of my Casios lately   :(

I listened and looked at some CTK-1000 info.  Here's my take.  The CTK-1000 is a keyboard that showcased everything to come in Casio's future models in the same way the MZ-2000 did.  And just like the MZ-2000, it took many years for the average model in Casio's line-up to catch up to the CTK-1000 and even then I'll guess that a few features were left only to that CTK-1000.  I'll say, after listening to the CTK-1000, that it's sound set and generator sounds alot like my 1997 WK. I would guess that the IXA sound source is really in most of the models that were released after the CTK-1000 and up to the MZ-2000.  The MZ-2000 premiered the ZPI sound source.  Many models that came after it had the ZPI source in the same way. Casio does this.  They design a tricked out "concept" model and sell it. Then everything that comes after it recycles parts of the original "concept" in a lesser form while the engineers move onto other projects for a few years.  This is my take on how they operate.  But I don't really know. 

I believe you are most probably correct. It's nice to think that my CTK1000 is somehow unique in its sound generation, though in reality a company like Casio is unlikely to make a one off instrument and never use the technology for anything else (VZ and FZ models excluded!) Funny though how they came up with the 'IXA Sound Source' name and didn't use it on anything else, despite the technology obviously being used. Mind you, the 'ZPI Sounds Source' name on the MZ2000, was that mentioned on any other Casio keyboards? Still, the CTK1000 certainly does sound good for a 'home' keyboard and is a worthy addition to my collection.

I do wish Casio would do a timeline on their models, the technology used and how they were developed. It would make very interesting reading.

Sorry for the delay in replying Brad, the past few weeks have been a bit crazy.

No rush and no apologies needed.  I was offline for a few days myself.  I'm still catching up from it. 

Mind you, the 'ZPI Sounds Source' name on the MZ2000, was that mentioned on any other Casio keyboards? 

Yes.  Several other models that came after the MZ wore the ZPI moniker on the panel, which is odd because the MZ never had the ZPI badge on it's panel.  Some of the early Privia models were ZPI and then the WK series adopted ZPI.  

I do wish Casio would do a timeline on their models, the technology used and how they were developed. It would make very interesting reading.

They did just recently redo their website and added a product archive.  No timeline but it's got a good number of models from the 90's up. Some of them have very little info.  http://www.casio.com/products/archive/Digital_Pianos_%26_Keyboards/

• 5 months later...

I finally got my hands on a Casio CTK-1000 and have examined the hardware. Despite superficial similarities it strongly differs from Casio VA-10.

Here is my analysis with short review:

http://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/topic/6110-casio-ctk-1000-hardware-analysis-also-va-10/

By the way, If anybody is interested in raw samples or waveforms; I also have dumped the ROMs of CTK-1000, MT-750, MT-540, MT-640 and olders. (Because Casio used linked lists for infinite volume envelopes, it may be hard to re-create main voice sounds from these. There are huge data tables I haven't researched yet.)

• 1 month later...

Dear admint. Where I can get the MT 750 keyboard spare parts for 36 keys (white) and 25 keys (black) and also path grip for power, volume control and chord / midi.

Are the keys missing or only cracked off? If you still have the keys, they can be re-attached with a piece of thin PE/PP sheet plastic (cut out of a blister package) and hotglue. You have to dismantle the keyboard assembly, which has many screws but otherwise isn't difficult. I have fixed several broken keyboards this way. If keys are lost, gut out a broken Casio from that era (e.g. MT-240 would have correct size), but even those from a cheap Chinese midsize tablehooter (Medeli etc.) often can be modified to fit. You may even carve or saw spare keys from wood if you want and attach them the same way with hotglue and blister plastic. With foreign keys you may need to file pieces off and attach a plastic piece with hotglue to push down the rubber contact at the correct spot, but this is all easy to master. Often several keys form one piece (connected by a plastic strip with screw holes at the top), but the piece will be anyway shorter than the whole keyboard, thus different keyboard length of the scrap keyboard doesn`t matter.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Back in August, and despite being a few weeks from leaving the UK, this little gem turned up on Ebay. How could I say no?!!!

I know I was going to hold back on buying any more Casios/ keyboards, but a boxed and complete MT400V at just £25 was a bargain I couldn't resist. It was advertised as "not tested" and with a damaged power socket. I hot wired a PSU to the battery terminals and guess what? Everything works!

post-2103-0-42169700-1442169695.jpg

post-2103-0-80947600-1442169835.jpg

post-2103-0-00126100-1442169760.jpg

post-2103-0-42169700-1442169695_thumb.jp

post-2103-0-00126100-1442169760_thumb.jp

post-2103-0-80947600-1442169835_thumb.jp

• Like 3
  • Love 1