Midi in merged to usb

AS77

Hi, I don't know if this is a FAQ question.

I connect a midi keyboard controller to midi in of PX5S to control a soft plugin.

The PX5S is connected to PC by USB.

Does midi in recieved by PX5S pass through usb to pc?

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, now I have another problem to solve.This is my set up:

PX5S, Behringer UMX490, iPad mini.

I use the controller UMX490 to play sounds of the PX5S via MIDI IN.

I connected the PX5S to iPad through USB (kit connection). And I play synth apps on iPad with the UMX490.

Now my problem: I can't use both PX5S and UMX490 to play apps, only one of these.

There is a way to do this?

Let's see, From what you say the setup looks like

UMX490 --> midi out --> midi in (PX - 5s) --> USB out --> USB in (iPad)

Unfortunately, there is no control for midi thru that contains midi out messages on the USB.  It's one or the other.  You can either send a signal through the keyboard from a controller to another device, or you can send the midi output from the keyboard to another device.  You can't do both.  

• 2 months later...

Let's see, From what you say the setup looks like

UMX490 --> midi out --> midi in (PX - 5s) --> USB out --> USB in (iPad)

Unfortunately, there is no control for midi thru that contains midi out messages on the USB.  It's one or the other.  You can either send a signal through the keyboard from a controller to another device, or you can send the midi output from the keyboard to another device.  You can't do both.  

And (UMX490) midi out --> midi in (PX5S) midi out --> midi in (External sound expander) ...both controller midi messages into the External sound expander?

I think to meet your goals, you'll need a Midi splitter or Midi merger or both.  Here's the scenarios as I see them:

PX5s Midi Out --> UMX490

USB Out +-> External Sound Expander

UMX490 --> PX5s = Play PX5S sounds from UMX

UMX490 --> PX5s out (thru) --> External Sound Expander = Control External sound expander from UMX

PX5S --> External Sound Expander = Control External sound expander from PX5S

PX5s --> UMX490 out (thru) --> External Sound Expander = Control External sound expander from PX5S

+----> PX5S

UMX290 --> Midi Splitter/Router -+

+----> External Sound Expander

UMX290 -+

+---> Midi Merger --> External Sound Expander

PX5S -----+

Instead of a hardware splitter/merger, you could use a computer, multiple USB ports and something like Midi OX and Midi Yoke (windows).  Linux - Jack.

But I tend to think a small hardware adapter would be easier to manager live.

That's curious behavior, Choppin, but it jives with the manual (Web_PX5S-E-2A.pdf, page 41).  It doesn't really seem appropriate to call it a MIDI Thru if it doesn't actually merge MIDI IN data with the keyboard output.  If I understand the manual correctly, in MIDI Thru mode, the PX-5S simply acts as a MIDI cable coupler!

BTW, Choppin!  I feel rather dense now, but I just barely realized your avatar has you playing the first notes of Chopsticks.  And here I thought that Choppin was a play on Chopin... or maybe it's both.

Anyway, I apologize for hijacking your thread, AS77.  I'll put Choppin's answer in the FAQ.  (Perhaps, I should just have a section entitled "Choppin's Corner".  He has been a great contributor!)

Carry on!

• Like 1

Hi Jaspeter,

Ha!  You're the only one to get the Chopsticks reference!  Very nice!  I couldn't dare hint at being Chopin, but I liked the pun so it's a play on both!

On the PX-5s, there's no dedicated midi thru port so the midi out is either out or thru unfortunately. 

...section entitled "Choppin's Corner"...

Thanks for the compliment, but it's good that someone double checks my answers!  I'm going to test this again when I get home.  I'm starting to think a splitter may not be necessary.  MIDI In or USB in should play the keyboard (PX5s).  Routing MIDI or USB in to the MIDI out, should pass the signal on while the PX is playing.

Tested it out.  

AS77, the simplest configuration to play both the PX5s and the External Sound Exapnder from 1 source should be:

UMX490 (MIDI out) --> (MIDI in) PX5s  USB out(thru) --> External Sound Expander.

If the external module can't take USB then use midi direct.

The settings for the PX5s should be

[sys Settings] > MIDI > MIDI Out Select or USB Out Select [MIDI]

MIDI In Enable [On]

If the External Sound Expander can take both a USB and Midi input, then you could send one or the other from the Px-5s as well as the Thru that's being routed from the UMX490.  In which case you have to set the proper Midi or USB out select to [KEY]

• Like 1

My goal is to play the Expander with both PX5S and UMX...

So I think I need a Midi Merge box...

Or change the UMX for a PCR500 that has the midi merge function...