Video Files on Forum ×

CASIOS FINEST

Hello forum, I have been watching a lot of casio synth video's lately. Those old cz synth's are awesome and the new big wk's are good too. but still for me the best synth's casio ever produced are the XW-P1, XW-G1, and PX5S. This is just my opinion.There is a subtle harmonic or something in the mid and lower sound's, cant put my finger on it, it isn't in the raw sample's themselve's, but the latter mentioned synth's have something analogish and special when you start to tap into them. 

• Like 2

I will have to agree. There are a whole bunch of very cool classic Casio synths and keyboards, but for me the PX-5S is, to-date, the pinnacle of Casio engineering. The combination of: keyboard action, AiR and linear morphing tech,  polyphony and multitimbral capabilities, MIDI controller and DSP (the DSP on the PX-5S is a monster!).. it all adds up to an amazing instrument. 

Don't get me wrong, the XW's are amazing as well.. I love my G1, esp. the step-sequencer. It's just the PX-5S ticks all the right boxes for me. 

I'm sure Casio will surpass it with something even more amazing in a few years, but the PX-5S will always be a very special keyboard to me.. it's got class and character.  B)

• Like 3

Just purchased a PX-350, it isn't a PX5S, but it sounds and feels amazingly nice. Speakers sound way too muddy but this is a near-field effect as I find the sound through speakers from further away is really good. And the action-better than any digital I've tried in 20 years-closest thing has been the Roland RD series, but this feels even better to me and beats all the Fatar actions which are in almost everything except Korgs (I think). And I can carry it without a hand-truck amazing. I've posted on the PX forum which is keeping me out of trouble until I get my XW restored which will be soon.

• Like 3

I would also add the FZ-1 and VZ-1.  Amazing pieces of tech at very affordable prices....

fz1.jpg

casio_vz1.jpg

cover.gifcover.gif

I agree, and both can be picked up for bargain prices. I got my VZ1 for £75, including stand and ROM card. My FZ20M I got for £42. These are criminally bargain prices for what were once flagship professional synths!

I would also add the HT6000 to the list of 'Casio's Finest', though it should've been developed more. Despite having four detunable PCM 'oscillators', they can only share the same selected PCM waveform. Imagine if they could each be assigned a different waveform, the sonic possibilities would be immense! And if Casio had added sysex and 'CC' control (it already had MIDI) it would be so much easier to edit sounds. Oh, and add a sub oscillator and/ or allow the range to drop another octave and it would've been a real monster. It's still an interesting synth capable of some distinctive sounds. Strangely though, the single PCM oscillator of lesser HT's sound more analogue, and my little HT700 is one of the synths that I have the most fun playing. Perhaps like the CZ101, it's mini size and great sounds is what makes it such an inspiring 'board to have. Pictures of biggest and smallest HT's below:

w_casio_ht6000.1_a.jpg

casio-ht-700.jpg

I agree, and both can be picked up for bargain prices. I got my VZ1 for £75, including stand and ROM card. My FZ20M I got for £42. These are criminally bargain prices for what were once flagship professional synths!

A VZ-1 for only £75? Sweet.

A VZ-1 for only £75? Sweet.

The best bargains on Ebay are the 'collection only' auctions, especially when they are in somewhat remote locations. Located in London, or any big city, there will always be nearby buyers so it's hard to get a bargain. Outside of London, especially 75 to 100 miles away, the number of interested buyers decreases dramatically. Plus many people are just too lazy to travel! That's how I got my VZ-1 (located about 75 miles north of London), and also how I got my MZ2000 for just over £100 (an absolute steal). My MZ was located in Portsmouth, around 100 miles for me to drive from where I live in NW London. There was only one other bidder! If you are prepared to travel the bargains are out there  ;)

• Like 1