Video Files on Forum ×

Help with USB and digital recording

Hozzer

Hi All.

I've recently purchased an XW P1 to put down drum tracks and soft synth pads as backing tracks for my guitar.

I use Adobe Audition and have downloaded Sonar X2 (30 day trial) as a test as I could not get Audition to recognize the P1.

P1 not recognised by X2 either.

Connection to computer is via USB only.

I use a Boss GT10 guitar processor connected via USB. Both programmes recognise the GT10 at start up.

The P1 is recognised by my computer when connected via USB. File transfer using data editor is not a problem, have been into MIDI setting and set as follows,

MIDIOutSel [ USB ]

USBOutSel [ key ]

MIDI in       [ON ]

USB In       [ON ]

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I assume the P1 is the same as the GT10 

Guitar > input   GT10    > USB    >  computer (Audition)   Audition output back via USB to GT

GT10 outputs L & R  TO  Mixer.

This allows the ability to live record in Audition and listen at volume at the same time.

P1 > computer ( Audition ) via USB > record track with  P1

Sound out from Audition back to P1. 

P1 output L & R  to Mixer.

Is there something I'm missing or just having a senior moment and doing something stupid?

Thanks in advance.

Graeme.

Hi, thanks for the quick responses.

I guess I was looking for audio not midi( GT10 sends audio both ways via USB) I assumed P1 would do same, that would explain a lot.

Was trying to avoid using mic in and Soundcard on Crappy laptop, sound quality s rubbish.

Will have to look at other options, matbe an older  Boss  br600 digital recorder. then import as mp3 or wav to Adobe Audition . 

Thanks again.

First of all sound into your laptop is thru Line In not Mic In.  Usually the Blue connector on the laptop.

You need one of these cables to make the connection.

http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-CMP159-Stereo-Breakout-10-Feet/dp/B005HGM1D6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1389654327&sr=8-3&keywords=3.5mm+to+1%2F4%22+mono

Secondly Sonar DOES recognize the XW-P1 but you need to configure it with an INS file available for download here on the forum.

http://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/files/file/14-casio-xw-p1-cakewalk-ins-file/

Once you install and configure Sonar to use that file you will be able to use the full range of XW voices in your songs and not just the crappy GM voices.

Gary

PS.  If Audio Line In on your laptop STILL sounds like crap try an external USB soundcard or USB DAW Interface.

Thanks guys,

Definitely can't use Audio line in on lap top, the background noise, electrical interference is terrible (pretty low spec laptop) .

Yes had noticed that sonar had recognised P1 via midi.

Have downloaded file, but not being computer savvy that's as far as I've got. Any Ideas how to install this file.

I'm old school, very analogue . Guitar >  Pedals > Amplifier >  noise.

Thanks again.

I'm old school, very analogue . Guitar >  Pedals > Amplifier >  noise.

I am a mix of old and new... but I prefer recording on my multitrack and then mixing down into my DAW. From there I use the DAW to add ambient sounds and/or sound effects... then master and render inside the DAW. 

There is no "right or wrong" way (as long as it still sounds good!)... do what you are comfortable with and have fun doing. I don't restrict myself to one OS, one DAW, one synth, etc. I use the best of everything and leave what I don't like.  :)

Thanks happyrat1.

I think looking at Sonar user interface compared to Adobe Audition for my level I may be going down same route as Scott do all the Keyboard stuff  first then upload to Adobe. then add the rest of the tracks.(typical guitar player doesn't need a keyboard player, I'll do it myself, why do I need a drummer when I've got a drum machine)

You would think I should Know better Having Worked for a large Sound and lighting company and latterly a Digital piano and keyboard shop in the UK.

Although in my defence was a Yamaha Homeworld and yes other brands are available.

Thanks.

Have been looking into USB Audio interfaces which look good in principle, the cheaper ones have RCA phono L + R in and USB out to computer as well as RCA phono L+ R out to mixer. I have 1/4" jack to RCA cables

Don't think I can get away with buying much more "stuff"

11 guitars

Boss gt10 processor

2 Guitar amps

Small PA

Yamaha CLP digital piano

Yamaha psr

Casio XW P1

I'm currently having withdrawal symptoms at the moment as P1 has gone back to casio for repair (3 keys very scratchy and click when pressed)

Have resisted joining facebook this long.

But I guess "resistence is futile"

Definately will have more questions.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Have resisted joining facebook this long.

But I guess "resistence is futile"

Definately will have more questions.

LOL - You don't even have to use your real name or pic.. I mean FB says you have to use your real name but it's not like we check ID's at the door. We do look close at people with new accounts as that is one of the signs of a spammer, but if you send me or Brad a PM here with the name you are using  to sign up we will make sure you get in.

The FB Group is very cool and laid back.. and questions usually get answered in mere minutes. Hope to see you there.

• Like 1

. Overtime, you will accumulate enough boxes and adapters to make due in any situation... or build a space shuttle! :) 

Face book assimilation complete.

Will PM. at  soon.

As for building a space shuttle !!

I started with something smaller from a  Yamaha CLP 470 box from work for my sons halloween party.

post-2493-0-68195000-1389828213_thumb.jp

post-2493-0-66138100-1389827972_thumb.jp

• Like 1

• 6 years later...