Video Files on Forum ×

New for NAMM 2014 ?

Something new from Casio at NAMM 2014  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think we'll see something new from Casio at NAMM 2014?

2. 2. What do you think we'll see?

• New Digital Piano
    • New Synthesizer
    • New Sampling Keyboard
    • New Keyboard Controller
    • New Organ
    • New PA / Amp
    • New MultiTrack Recorder

I know that Mike (or anyone else at Casio for that matter) cannot provide any details about anything new being released at the NAMM show coming up next week.... but the suspense is killing me!

Mike... can you just give a Yay or Nay as to whether we'll be seeing something new from Casio at NAMM this month? 

Personally, I'm more interested in seeing a better workstation keyboard with 76-keys (I made a post/topic about a workstation keyboard derived from the PX-5s, XW and WK capabilities several months ago)  --- which should complement the current PX-5S with the following features:

1) Expression pedal input/jack

2) 16-track sequencer (different from the PX-5's phrase sequencer, that is)

3) Ribbon controller input (at least) if not an actual on-board ribbon controller

4) Multiple pads -- that can act as triggers for sampled sound, riffs, a full MIDI song-sequence, WAV or mp3 clips, phrase or used in playing the built-in drum patches/sounds of the keyboard while sequencing

5) Better/newer instrument samples (strings:something close to the warm, organic string sounds of the PC3/K, acoustic guitar etc.)

6) Groove/Rhythm creation capability (borrowed from the XW-G1) if not a programmable drum machine feature (with multiple fill/variation which can be customized depending on the song being performed/covered). 

7) 9 faders (sliders) -- similar to those found in the XW series/WK-7500 for Draw Bar

8) MIDI IN/OUT/Thru ports please in addition to the restrictive USB-MIDI only port found in WK-series

9) Dedicated DAW transport buttons 

10) 256-note polyphony (to beat the current value offerings from Yamaha: MOXF and upcoming FA-06 workstation which only have 128-note polyphony) 

Having had released the PX-5s with its polyphonic synth capabilities/dual hex layer feature, the current WK-series ("workstation keyboards") line are getting older by the day. It needs a better incarnation. Yamaha already released its value-oriented MOXF series. Roland is introducing its FA-06/08 workstation soon. And Korg...well there's the Kross, Krome and Kronos workstations. So if its any indication at all, these 3 keyboard manufacturers seem to find the "workstation keyboard" hardware (despite the existence of powerful DAW softwares and giga-sampled virtual instruments) still viable.

I voted "new synthesizer" because it was the closest option. But really, these distinctions we make are arbitrary. Most keyboards have some sort of synthesis capability, even if it is just editing of a few parameters of a PCM voice (technically, that is synthesis!). Most keyboards have some sort of sequencing capability, be it a step sequencer, a phrase sequencer, a pattern sequencer or a linear sequencer (names which are themselves somewhat arbitrary). BTW, an arpeggiattor can also be considered a kind of sequencer (that you "program" in real time by holding down keys). Many keyboards can be used as MIDI controllers. Some keyboards that are not considered digital pianos have hammer action keybeds and contain decent piano sounds. Some keyboards that are not considered organs have drawbar organ emulations. The lines between the categories that existed in the past are being blurred. There's nothing wrong with that.

Here's what I'm expecting: Casio will come out with a new keyboard or two. It or they will either fit into an existing line (e.g., XW or WK) or will be the start of a new line. It or they will have synthesis capability and PCM tones that build on what we have seen in previous models. It or they will have at least 128-note polyphony. It or they will have great piano sounds, although that won't be their main focus. It or they will have expanded real-time controllers (more pots and/or sliders and/or footpedal inputs) than we have seen before on Casio models. It or they will have a better LCD display than we have seen in recent models (some older Casio boards had better displays than the current ones). It or they will be very price competitive if not price leaders.

Pretty safe and non-specific so far, right? To be more specific: There is a good chance that it or one of them will have a 76-key keyboard. There is a good chance that we'll finally see an expression pedal input.

Will it be called a synthesizer? Will it be called a workstation? Will it be called an arranger? I don't really care.

I could be wrong. Casio may not introduce anything new. That would be a mistake and thus unlikely; Casio isn't stupid. The new product might be something without a keyboard, perhaps a DJ-oriented controller or sampler. That would be cool but not for me. Maybe Christmas will come late and they'll introduce multiple types of new product.

dc2k:

"I'd love a noob-friendly book explaining in detail everything the px-5s does and how to do it with examples."

That's the problem - Casio can put out an awesome pro keyboard that just blows you away, but they are soooo weak on User Manuals and explaining just what it is their product does.

• Like 1

dc2k:

"I'd love a noob-friendly book explaining in detail everything the px-5s does and how to do it with examples."

That's the problem - Casio can put out an awesome pro keyboard that just blows you away, but they are soooo weak on User Manuals and explaining just what it is their product does.

Casio should hire outside help for that. I know a writer who is qualified. :D

well, this is my first good board coming from mostly just an acoustic piano so I don't know what a lot of the jargon on the board means. That's not Casio's fault as you are sort of expected to know synthesizer terminology and what the options aim to achieve. I've been learning some of it but I still wouldn't know how to replicate a patch from scratch on any board, let alone the px-5s. Most of the cool sounds I create were made by accident but I guess that is the way you learn. I would love a big book explaining everything though. I could see a third party making one, maybe. 

• Like 1

"Fresh colors!" I had to laugh when Casio made a big to-do last year about the orange-colored XW-P1. Mind you, I do seriously like the look of the gold-colored model (that AFAIK you can't buy anymore).

http://www.casio.com/news/content/Casio_Unveils_Latest_XW-P1_Performance_Synthesizer_in_Legends_Collection_at_South_by_Southwest_2013/