XW P1 discontinued ?

Bigmark

I purchased a gig bag for my XW -P1 from one of the biggest music retailers in Europe, which arrived today.

However despite being a deluxe 61 key bag the Casio was a very tight fit in it.

I telephoned the company to see if I could return it, but they could not try out a XW for size as they said it was a discontinued model and they didn't have any left in stock ?

With the recent price plummet this certainly lends credence to a new XW being announced or released at NAMM ?

And BTW they refunded the bag and let me keep it !! Now that is great customer service.

Sources from my  old work have kind of implied the same XW P1 discontinued. 

Here in the UK a large  guitar retailer with a recently opened Digital store apparently bought up the remaining stock and was selling it for £199.00. So the only UK stock is ones that shops have in their stock room.

I couldn't get  my shop to order one or even if they could they couldn't price match at £199.00.

Maybe they're upgrading the Keyframe. :D

Its probably the only thing I would change. but at the price I paid £199 ($325) you dont get any better from other brands in the same price range, and all said once I get mine back from casio with a fully functioning key frame i will be delighted.

• 2 weeks later...

More UK music retailers advertising sale of XW P1 and XW G1 because its discontinued stock. I was on another music retailers site today who were stating this.

An officail statement from someone at Casio would be nice.

Confirm or quash the romours.

Why would Casio show the XW-P1 at NAMM, a show whose main purpose is to interest dealers in carrying product, if they have discontinued it? (They also verbally mentioned the G1, but did not show it.) It makes no sense. And apparently Mike Martin had already denied the rumour on Casio's Facebook page (see Scott Hamlin's reply above).

• Like 4

I totally agree. Why would it be on the stand alongside the PX5 and in the live feed if it has been discontinued, it would make no sence.

I'm only reporting the view from my old shop and what music retailers are putting on their websites.

It would seem that retailers in UK/Europe cannot order XWs for what ever reason.

Casio USA seems have a different stance than that from Eurozone.

• Like 1

I always keep an eye on what the trend is regarding a lot of my equipment, including my XW's. I bought my P1 just over a year ago (at the then bargain price of £300), then before Xmas 2013 I saw my G1 for sale by a private seller, used but almost showroom condition, boxed with manuals, for £170 (ish - I forget the exact price). I snapped it up as it was somewhat a bargain, then shortly after I saw both the P1 and G1 for sale online (in the UK) at the blow-out £199. Originally I was going to wait until after Xmas to get my G1 figuring that some people would get them as 'unwanted gifts' and there would be a glut of them for sale in the post Xmas 'need to sell off gear to pay bills' period. Even more so after the £199 prices the last units were selling at.

I'm glad I didn't wait, as the post Xmas XW glut doesn't appear to have happened. If anything, the availability of both XW's has dried up, other than a few being sold new at the higher prices by some dealers. Also noticeable is that very few private sales seem to be coming up since Xmas, which surprised me as I was expecting a lot of those who bought them at blow-out prices may have changed their minds and decided to sell them on.

In the UK at least, it looks like new stocks of XW's are drying up, and used items also seem to have dried up also. What does that mean? Well, I can only conclude that new stock is not being replenished, hence many thinking that the XW is being discontinued in the UK. As for used? Looks to me that the XW's have fallen into the hands of those that really wanted them, and have been bought by those buyers that have now been converted after acquiring one. At the blow out price of £199 there is/ was nothing that comes even close to the power of the XW's, and even at £300 they were in a class of their own. Those that have XW's now mostly seem to love the power and features and have no intention of selling them on. I certainly wouldn't even dream of selling my XW's and they are here to stay with me. 

I wonder what the situation is with the future of new XW's, certainly in the UK?

One guess is that Casio are going to combine the p1/g1 into the pg2. My reasoning is, if they were going to discontinue them and not replace them, they'd tell us, sparking a rush to buy them. On the other hand if the two XWs were being superseded then it would be better not to tell us so current stock would still sell. 

Which ever it is, I hope I can get my hands on a g1 (or a future model with similar features. I'd like a p1 too in an ideal world where I have unlimited space). I haven't bought one because I'm still learning my px-5s and giving my spare time to that. I should have really jumped on one of the £200 ones.

Many years ago , painting contractors came to paint my towns coal fired power plant.

They told the workers that the plant was being closed down , management denied this.

However unrest followed and regional high management were then drafted in to quell workers concerns, they also categorically denied that the plant was closing .

Six months later it closed was demolished and a housing estate built on it.

Fact is the XW synths are no longer available in the UK, Gear4music ( one of Europes biggest online music retailers ) told me they were a discontinued item.

Now this is either down to Casio withdrawing the product from the UK ( poor sales perhaps ? I can't somehow see that ?) Or maybe there is a new model on the horizon that even the (power plant regional high management ) know nothing about ?

The plot thickens !

Alright, include me in the list of people who think SOMETHING is up. I don't know exactly what Mike Martin said on Facebook (I'm not on Facebook and I can't find his statement in the publicly viewable posts there) but the fact that he has not repeated whatever he said there in THIS thread, which he could not have failed to see after he got back from NAMM, has me suspicious.

If this rumor is indeed completely false then it is in Casio's best interest to say so in direct language in this forum, not just on Facebook. In any case, Mike should explain the reason for the availability problem in certain countries, which all evidence to date indicates is real. Failing this we are free to dream up reasons based on zero supporting facts. This is not a good thing to let happen. For example, there is a thread here from last June in which the OP used the language "blowout" to describe a retailer's price for an XW-P1 only to have someone conclude that Casio was once again getting out of the synth market! No one corrected the mistaken notion. (Mind you, the thread is on Gearslutz, where spotty-bottomed, socially-challenged members of the Holy Church of Analog attack anyone who dares post a differing opinion on anything.)

Personally, I don't think the reason for non-availabilty is that a new model is imminent. If a new model IS coming soon it is unlikely to be announced before Musikmesse in March since releasing a new product or model between tradeshows throws away the chance for a lot of the free publicity for a product introduction you get at a show. And stopping production of the old model(s) three or more months before announcing a replacement is a dumb idea for obvious reasons.

Good point. But I don't believe he is unaware of what is going on with Casio's major music products in other countries. And here, at least, he is the official voice of Casio.

Hey, no skin off my nose if Casio's HQ thinks it is better to let the rumors (rumours) fly. It certainly does make things entertaining. :)

To set the record straight...As mentioned I can only speak for Casio America but we are certainly not discontinuing the XW-series.  In my discussions with Japan, Australia, Germany, Canada, Mexico and others they are still carrying the XW-series.  For whatever reason, Casio UK appears to be sold out of XWs.  Personally we are still investing in the XW-series.  That means more sound libraries, updates to the iPad app and support like live clinics.  The XW-series is not going anywhere any time soon.

• Like 4

To set the record straight...As mentioned I can only speak for Casio America but we are certainly not discontinuing the XW-series.  In my discussions with Japan, Australia, Germany, Canada, Mexico and others they are still carrying the XW-series.  For whatever reason, Casio UK appears to be sold out of XWs.  Personally we are still investing in the XW-series.  That means more sound libraries, updates to the iPad app and support like live clinics.  The XW-series is not going anywhere any time soon.

post-2103-0-99968500-1391370244.jpg

post-2103-0-99968500-1391370244_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Thanks Mike for the informative real version of what is going on.

This is why I like Casio, real answers from real (cool) factory people!

Having a blast with the P-1 and looking soon for more sound libraries.

Thanks again Mike, for the valuable time you spend!

• Like 1

The plot indeed thickens...

I rang Casio UK instrument sales this morning ( on the pretence of trying to track down a p-1 ) the young lady told me that stock was indeed scarce but nonetheless gave me the contact for a couple of stores that had one or two available.

She did say though, that stock was not being replaced by Casio, and this usually signalled a new model on the horizon, although they had not been told anything ?

I then asked if I should wait for a new model rather than track down a XW-P1 ( those available are nearly double the pre Christmas price ) she again reiterated that they had not been told of a new model but stock would not be getting replaced.

So ...If I were a gambling man ...And weighed up the form...

1: Major retailers clearing XW synths at rock bottom price pre Christmas

2: Stock really scarce

3: Stock confirmed by Casio as NOT getting replaced

4: Told it was a discontinued item ( by retailer )

I would have my money on a new product !

1: Major retailers clearing XW synths at rock bottom price pre Christmas

2: Stock really scarce

3: Stock confirmed by Casio as NOT getting replaced

4: Told it was a discontinued item ( by retailer )

I would have my money on a new product !

My money is on "no more xw's for the UK because of Casio UK's business decision to stop importing and selling XW's while Casio corporate is still manufacturing new ones for the rest of Casio's subsidiaries around the world"

I hope I loose the bet but I fear I won't.