Video Files on Forum ×

What The Competition Is Doing

AlenK

In case you don't already know Roland introduced its new FA-06 and FA-08 workstations recently, just in advance of winter NAMM (which is less than a week away).  These are 61-key and 88-key boards with the following quick specs:

- 128 note polyphony

- 16 part multitimbral

- 6 assignable knobs

- Sampling (w/ recording time limited only by SD card size)

- 16 assignable pads (NOT velocity sensitive) that can trigger samples

- Large color LCD OLED screen (not touch sensitive)

- 2000+ tones including "SuperNATURAL" acoustic and synth tones

- 16-track sequencer

- each track has its own independent effect, plus global effects

Many of the details are still to be revealed.  These seem to be lower-cost relatives of Roland's Fantom-G boards (hence the "FA" designation), at least in capabilities, although the sound engine is derived from the Integra 7.  Watching the FA promotional video (here) it seems obvious Roland also wants to grab some of the DJ/dubstep market that the P1 and G1 sought to address.

Before you say "but this is a workstation whereas the XWs are performance synthesizers" the FA's sequencer can be used like a MIDI looper in real time and there is a three-oscillator synthesis engine in there with full on-screen editing in addition to the PCM-based tones, which are also fully editable. The XW series is still unique in having both a step sequencer. and a drawbar organ emulation, which the FA boards don't seem to have (although they do have PCM-based organ tones and apparently even a Leslie effect). UPDATE: Evidently, the FA boards DO have a complete drawbar organ emulation, similar or identical to the one in the VR-09. It only lacks physical drawbars or sliders (the VR-09 has sliders). No doubt you can adjust the harmonics using on-screen drawbars.

I sincerely hope that Casio has stepped up its game. In less than a week we will see.

Great post Alen. I have one of the original Fantoms.. the FA-76... it is a nice balance of a performance synth and workstation so I understand where they are going with the new FA's.

As far as Casio goes, you can be sure they are watching what Yamaha, Korg and Roland, etc. are doing. There are also some threads here and on Keyboard Corner about what people are looking for in the next Casio pro board so they know what people want.

I encourage people to do two things help bring these dream boards to life:

1- Keep the suggestions and wish-lists coming. Of course they can't put everything in.. otherwise you end up with a "Homer"... but if something is requested enough it has a better chance of making it into production.

2-  This one is real important.. Proudly and loudly promote the Casio brand whenever and where ever you can. Share posts from the Casio Music Gear Facebook page on your FB timeline, post pictures of your Casio rig, talk it up to fellow musicians, make YouTube videos... ..  Let people know that Casio is making SERIOUS instruments and provides exceptional after-the-sale support. This type of grassroots support is really important. 

• Like 3

I encourage people to do two things help bring these dream boards to life:

1- Keep the suggestions and wish-lists coming. Of course they can't put everything in.. otherwise you end up with a "Homer"... but if something is requested enough it has a better chance of making it into production.

2-  This one is real important.. Proudly and loudly promote the Casio brand whenever and where ever you can. Share posts from the Casio Music Gear Facebook page on your FB timeline, post pictures of your Casio rig, talk it up to fellow musicians, make YouTube videos... ..  Let people know that Casio is making SERIOUS instruments and provides exceptional after-the-sale support. This type of grassroots support is really important. 

I like what you said so much I had to quote it just to show it again.  Absolutely agree. 

I've read somewhere that the Korg Kronos beside having their own sound synthesis processor on board  also works with an Atom processor surprised me tho an Atom cpu I looked down on those chips purely of seeing them less then half the power they could deliver. I have a dual core in my smartphone If Casio add their custom sound synthesis chips with a few mobile cpu quad core they have a workstation capable design ditch the SD card slot add an CF card slot booya.

Another series of new products: Behringer's MOTOR 49 and MOTOR 61 controller keyboards. These have everything, including nine motorized sliders, eight continuous rotary encoders (with LED rings), eight velocity-sensitive pads and aftertouch. Priced at $349 and $449US. I assume those are "street" but I'm not sure.

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2014/01/23/namm-2014-behringer-motor-61-moving-faders/?utm_source=more_news&utm_medium=storiesbox&utm_campaign=more_stories
http://www.behringer.com/EN/products/MOTOR-61.aspx

Of course, they don't make any sounds. But as controllers they would seem to be ideal.

• Like 1