Adding rhythm files to PX-350

Jokeyman123

After research in a few forums, I figured out something that might be of interest to PX fans. One of the Casio file conventions for rhythm files is the .ckf file. The Casio European website has a downloadable data manager called crypticaly "IDES" in version 2.0, 3.0, 4.0 and 5.0 which all look the same to me and actually designed for the WK-3000, 35000. Anyway, I discovered 2, no 3! inneresting things-although this program is not designed for the PX350, 330 etc. it has functions that might work for transferring certain data but that wasn't the good part.

The thing I found verrrrrrrrrrrrrry inneresting was its ability to create a .ckf file from an SMF MIDI file. It has a "rhythm editor" which does this from one continuous MIDI file by putting break points in between each section to create fills, intros, variations etc. I tried it with a simple drum MID pattern I had created and it worked. So although the PX350 does not allow note-for-note creation of your own accompaniment styles internally (one can switch sounds around, change reverb settings and a few others) now you can "roll yer own" from scratch and put in the user rhythm bank, very nice.

There is a downloadable PDF which goes through all the details. The last very inneresting Item I noticed is that this data editor also converts .CPT files (I am not familiar with these yet) to .CKF which gives us PX users a much greater variety of accompaniment "rhythms" than I thought at first since I think the .CPT file is used in the older Casios.

There is also an "OTP" function in the data editor that allows your rhythm to become a "preset" which provides the addition of complete registrations, chord progressions and even DSP settings which can be programmed and stored in the preset. Whether this will work with the PX I don't know yet, still messing around. Tried loading .CKF DSP files in the PX-350 but it didn't work (see my other post about trying to re-program DSP settings  using CC messages, still experimenting, see y'all later.

• Like 1

Another post from-I should call myself "doesn't get out much"!  I found a little conversion program (all these programs run with Windows XP, not sure about 98, windows 7 or 8) that will change any of Yamaha's ".sty" style files and convert over to the Casio .ckf format. I tried a few (there is a huge database of .sty files on the Internet) and it works perfectly.  I posted elsewhere that there is a .ckf player program again for Windows which I've been using to preview "rhythm" files before loading into the PX-350, very handy. So taken together, this IMO gives this particular Casio an amazing array of versatility-pretty much makes the PX-350 "open-ended" when it comes to auto-accompaniment functions. Now onto my other project-trying to edit and save PX-350 DSP settings with CC messages and registration memory, but that's another post!