Video Files on Forum ×

Are you normally sitting or standing when at the keyboard?

Null

Sitting or Standing When Playing?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Are you normally sitting or standing when you use your keyboard?

Considering that western civilization abandoned ideograms as a means of communication about 6000 years ago in favor of a phonetic alphabet, I've always been at odds with programmers who seem to think it's simpler to express a concept with a cryptic little graphic rather than use a simple English keyword to sum it up succinctly and clearly without any ambiguity.

If they at least hyperlinked the reference to an explanatory paragraph describing how the function actually worked and how to use it, I might have been more impressed.  As it is, I see a tedious column of tiny, nasty, indistinct icons which bear no intuitive relationship to what they actually supposedly represent nor any explanation of how they are actually meant to be used.

Likewise, they appear to be strictly designed to embed media and images which are hosted offsite when used as directed. 

Like I said, the forum help reads like a typical braindead programmer's attempt at technical writing.  A highly simplistic listing of basic functions totally devoid of context or examples.

It pretty much may as well have been written by the same idiots who wrote the XW-P1's original manuals. :P

Hi there, first posting (do I get a cake?)

Am building a collection of these seats;  due for some de-cluttering come springtime.  The most comfortable seat for me is my computer chair with no armrests.  The kneeling stool is okay to dig out when the backache comes to call.  The traditional bench is my least favourite, as I'm inclined to do some serious slumping, especially when trying to make sense of my XW-G1 manual. :-)  But thank goodness for this forum and YouTube, I say!

post-2551-0-45623300-1390323297_thumb.jp

Hi Gary,

... with some difficulty, I guess.  Have been using a flat sustain pedal without problem with the kneeling stool,  or "posture chair" as my posh neighbour would say.   Instead of using my foot, I grip the pedal between my knees.   But just to remember to stop gripping it and untangle both legs when the phone rings. 

Been trying without success to get my Korg EXP2 expression pedal working with the Casio G1.  Time will tell.

cheers from Ed

If you want to use an expression pedal with a Casio XW synth you either have to buy a special MIDI pedal and plug it into a MIDI port or else use another keyboard, like your Korg that recognizes expression as a controller for the XW.

The XW recognizes the MIDI values for expression but it has no CC pedal input.  Only an assignable SW pedal.

Gary

Definately sitting. Never gigged with keyboards, or guitars any more. plus there is no headroom in my loft unless I stand in the middle of the room. :(

I use an office chair, don't have any problems with the arms, this  allows me to move around various instruments and computer without getting up.

No P1 in picture because it's not back from casio yet.

20140122_135708_zpsa714f568.jpg

post-2493-0-29861000-1390405051_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Hey Hozzer, just curious since I need to restore-I'm the guy who fried his XW with Casio fryware and will need to get it to Casio. What happened to yours? As far as sitting or standing, I once had to sit on a freezer behind the bar to play at one memorable gig. Gave new meaning to the phrase "cool jazz". Hope you get better-now I sit on my drum throne since I busted my foot but will stand at gigs-I can keep a better eye on customers that might be throwing things at the band or want to come up and do "open-mike" fright I mean night! :P

Hi Jokeyman, Yes read your topic  "pooched my XW". sorry to read about your problem, only wish I'd joined the forum and read your post before I charged ahead and did the update. fortunately all went well and had no problems.

My problem with the P1 was  several keys in the key frame were very noisy, scratchy and very clicky,  from the outset, the shop I bought it from had no more in stock so were unable to swap, so back of to Casio it went.

Having played many keyboards, digital pianos from all  different manufacturers, some very bad keyframes, but at least all the keys were bad not just some.

So I await the return.

Hope your situation gets sorted,

You would think there would be a simple factory reset that could be done cheaply by casio,  when my daughter unplugged her laptop during  critical updates it would not reboot. All that was needed was a simple reinstall of the original OS. all of the data on the hard drive was recovered as well,

reinstalled handed back £40.00 ($65.00).

Thanks.

• 7 months later...

As a yogi I spend most of my life in the lotus seat.

So when I play keyboard, I sit on floor in front of it, i.e. pedals are pretty useless for me, but I sometimes pushed a fill-in button by toe. I guess I will somewhen construct a belt-pull controller operated by trunk motion to simulate a volume pedal.

By the way, also my PC keyboard (AT size, resembling "IBM Model M" with mechanical keys) is always resting on my lap in lotus seat. With music keyboards this position doesn't work well (too shaky) but I can type texts quite well. The monitor is a 22'' CRT in front of me, resting on the large wooden DIY desktop case of my Amiga workstation.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...