Is this kind of effect available for the XW models?

Paragone

First off, as a prospective buyer, I happened across this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r_xSxAvu3c

I think this is one of Mike Martin's Privia Pro patches(?).

But, I have a question.

Upon viewing the video, it becomes obvious that the major contributing element to this sound is the chorus effect being modified with knob one.

And given that it sounds *alot* like a multi chorus effect, I am reasonably(?) assuming that this is not a generic chorus effect, but rather a specific multi chorus algorithm available only to the Privia Pro PX-5S.

If that is the case, then it is a shame, as it is precisely the kind of sound that I(and many others) would be looking to recreate with one of the XW models.

So, is there any chance that this is just a generic chorus algorithm common to the XW models as well?

If not, is there any chance of Casio porting over the multi chorus algorithm(I'm sure we would be willing to  trade off some DSP power elsewhere, for being given the option to use it)?

Given that the XWs don't have a unison function, and the fact that stacked oscillators will never sound as good as unison, a multi chorus effect like this would the next best thing(in fact, the chorus in this video actually sounds better than the unison function integrated into a lot of synths).

And trust me, an external chorus or vst is NOT an easy solution, as a chorus of this quality is RARE(I have looked, and even Korg's  MDE-X Polysix Ensemble FX, and assorted Chorus effects don't come close) - the only chorus that sounds close is Roland's Hexa-chorus. 

In short, I really like this chorus, but not enough to buy a Privia Pro just for the sake of the chorus(the large keybed, and piano oriented theme is not what I am looking for - I am partial to either of the XW models).

Any suggestions?

But, I have a question.

Upon viewing the video, it becomes obvious that the major contributing element to this sound is the chorus effect being modified with knob one.

And given that it sounds *alot* like a multi chorus effect, I am reasonably(?) assuming that this is not a generic chorus effect, but rather a specific multi chorus algorithm available only to the Privia Pro PX-5S.

Nik Rejczak answered your question 12 hours ago. Or you answered your own question if that is you.

If not, is there any chance of Casio porting over the multi chorus algorithm(I'm sure we would be willing to taking trading off some DSP power elsewhere, for being given the option to use it)?

I think there is ZERO chance of any significant firmware changes to the XW synths. What you are describing would be significant.

But, I have a question.

If that is the case, then it is a shame, as it is precisely the kind of sound that I(and many others) would be looking to recreate with one of the XW models.

So, is there any chance that this is just a generic chorus algorithm common to the XW models as well?

If not, is there any chance of Casio porting over the multi chorus algorithm(I'm sure we would be willing to taking trading off some DSP power elsewhere, for being given the option to use it)?

Given that the XW's don't have a unison function, and the fact that stacked oscillators will never sound as good as unison, a multi chorus effect like this would the next best thing(in fact, the chorus in this video actually sounds better than the unison function integrated into a lot of synths).

And trust me, an external chorus or vst is NOT a solution, as a chorus of this quality is RARE(trust me, as I have looked - even Korg's  MDE-X Polysix Ensemble FX, and assorted Chorus effects don't come close) - the only chorus that sounds close is Roland's Hexa-chorus. 

In short, I really like this chorus, but not enough to get a Privia Pro just for the sake of the chorus effect(the large keybed, and piano oriented theme is not what I am looking for - I am partial to either of the XW models).

Any suggestions?

Well if what you're asking related to if the G1 can do that? seeing the question posted in the G1 thread. The PX5S is in a totally different league but you can have chorus effect on Tone's and control the level of Rate and Depth even changing the level of reverb if that what you want. Its also possible to program you're own dsp effect. If you want the chorus the PX5S have you shouldn't look no more and go for that its much more advanced cause you would set yourself in quiet a pickle if trying to emulate it on the XW. 

Well if what you're asking related to if the G1 can do that? seeing the question posted in the G1 thread. The PX5S is in a totally different league but you can have chorus effect on Tone's and control the level of Rate and Depth even changing the level of reverb if that what you want. Its also possible to program you're own dsp effect. If you want the chorus the PX5S have you shouldn't look no more and go for that its much more advanced cause you would set yourself in quiet a pickle if trying to emulate it on the XW. 

I missed that - there are options to code your own DSP algorithms within the XW-G1?

I missed that - there are options to code your own DSP algorithms within the XW-G1?

There is no such capability in either model.

The XW's DSP chorus effect does have a "type" parameter with mono, stereo and "tri" options (probably a triangle modulating wave rather than sine, although one would hope that tri means three modulators!). There is also a global stereo chorus effect that you can use in place of a DSP effect (it's one or the other). But none of these sound to my ears like a multi-chorus.

Agreed that the sound of a multi-chorus is heavenly.

The XW's DSP chorus effect does have a "type" parameter with mono, stereo and "tri" options (probably a triangle modulating wave rather than sine, although one would hope that tri means three modulators!). There is also a global stereo chorus effect that you can use in place of a DSP effect (it's one or the other). But none of these sound to my ears like a multi-chorus.

Ah, thanks for the clarification.

After inquiring on the Privia forum, it seems like knob one is actually assigned to Hex Layer detune.

The effect sounds very nice for a simple detuning of parts, but if this is true, then maybe the XW-P1 is a better option for me.

I do like the sampling option in the G1.

The G1 lets you program your own DSP effect its there you can assign your own parameters effects there are free slots for that I've not delved into that.

much to come in that menu.

Press the mixer button hold it you'll see the effect menu scroll down to page 3/3 and select dsp,

Enter the DSP select menu from there you go can edit/program your own DSP setting in a free user slot

Slots available are from U:0-0 up to U:9-9.

With a bit of tweaking of the DSP , EQ and Reverb could give this similar effect I agree one dsp is limited 

still all these available effects can be costumed to you're own liking :)

Cheers 

Ah, thanks for the clarification.

After inquiring on the Privia forum, it seems like knob one is actually assigned to Hex Layer detune.

The effect sounds very nice for a simple detuning of parts, but if this is true, then maybe the XW-P1 is a better option for me.

I do like the sampling option in the G1.

Well I guess you could go for the P1 better sampled PCM tones and luscious hexlayer there is lots of room to create a wide field of sonic soundscaping.

Its different tho on the G1 this synth gives room to create  and interact, I mean they named it a Groove synth so its made to interact with every aspect of what its

capable of to do.

The truth is I would like to have both the P1 and G1 but I'm driven driven and need value and impact so I chose the G1 only cause it has that

umph, A drumcomputer , A sampler and then you have this monophonic solo synth for a PHAT GROOVE fully customable you're not limited at the standard waves

available add you're own wicked sample slices. With that power under your finger the air will resonate so hard people to jump it was always Casio who delivered phat basses  :)

Customize synth and audio modelling is what the G1 does its fully custom able, It has the Back-to-Basic kinda thing the classic synth everyone wants, A Mellotron you want that bam it has mellotron a Juno you want that bam its there.  

The G1 lets you program your own DSP effect its there you can assign your own parameters effects there are free slots for that I've not delved into that.much to come in that menu.

Which, just to be clear, is not the same as "coding your own DSP algorithms".  For each kind of effect that the XW offers (many of which are actually combinations of two effects) you can choose your own values for different parameters and store the new settings in a user effect memory.  But the effect algorithms are fixed - you just choose one.  This is all explained in the user manual, which you can download from the Casio music web site.  And it's no different than any other synthesizer.  Even Kurzweil's VAST system offers a fixed number of effect algorithms but in that case you get to string them together in myriad ways.

Words have meanings, sometimes specific ones or sometimes more general. Most people would not use the word "program" to describe the act of changing a few parameters from a list of options.

Changing parameters on a synth has been called "programming" for over forty years.  Back when people started "programming" synthesizers there were not so many people writing programs for computers so nobody thought that the word was ill-chosen.  It's no coincidence that what Casio calls a tone Korg calls a program.  (But note that nobody says they are "coding" a synthesizer unless they really ARE writing code for the algorithms.)

• Like 2