Privia Pro PX-5S Hex-Saw Synth patch - can we do this on an XW?

Paragone

Hi, I posted this same question in the G1 forum, but given that XW-P1 also shares the Hex Layer configuration with the Privia models, it is probably a more appropriate question here.

So, first off, as a prospective buyer I happened across this video:

I think this is one of Mike Martin's Privia Pro patches(?).

But, I have a question.

Upon viewing the video, it becomes obvious that the major contributing element to this sound is the chorus effect being modified with knob one.

And given that it sounds *alot* like a multi chorus effect, I am reasonably(?) assuming that this is not a generic chorus effect, but rather a specific multi chorus algorithm available only to the Privia Pro PX-5S.

If that is the case, then it is a shame, as it is precisely the kind of sound that I(and many others) would be looking to recreate with one of the XW models.

So, is there any chance that this is just a generic chorus algorithm common to the XW models as well?

If not, is there any chance of Casio porting over the multi chorus algorithm(I'm sure we would be willing to trade off some DSP power elsewhere, for being given the option to use it)?

Given that the XWs don't have a unison function, and the fact that stacked oscillators will never sound as good as unison, a multi chorus effect like this would the next best thing(in fact, the chorus in this video actually sounds better than the unison function integrated into a lot of synths).

And trust me, an external chorus or vst is NOT an easy solution, as a chorus of this quality is RARE(I have looked, and even Korg's  MDE-X Polysix Ensemble FX, and assorted Chorus effects don't come close) - the only chorus that sounds close is Roland's Hexa-chorus. 

In short, I really like this chorus, but not enough to buy a Privia Pro just for the sake of the chorus(the large keybed, and piano oriented theme is not what I am looking for - I am partial to either of the XW models).

Any suggestions?

Paragone,
I saw your comment on the Youtube video and replied there.  The PX-5S was not using a multi-chorus effect in this video.  No chorus was used at all. The PX-5S has entirely different processor than the XW-series.  This and the quality of the filters really contribute to this sound.  At one point in the video a phaser effect is used too.

My recommendation - Take the HexLayer Preset 0-0 XW PolySynth and edit it.   For each of the 6 layers adjust the panning of them in pairs like this:

Layer 1  Pan -20
Layer 2  Pan +20
Layer 3  Pan -40
Layer 4  Pan +40

Layer 5  Pan -64
Layer 6  Pan +64

This will give you a much thicker and larger sound.  While playing check out knob2 for detune.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...