Building a harpsichord stage setting

piano_71

I just got a PX-5S a day ago. I haven't hooked it up to my computer yet, but I was thinking that I'd like to build a stage setting for harpsichord, to expand upon the 2-3 built-in patches for harpsichord sounds that exist.

Harpsichords normally have up to four ranks of strings: 16', 8', 8', 4'. Much like organ stops, that means 8' is at exact pitch, 16' an octave lower, 4' an octave higher. Usually, 16' and 8' are playable separately or coupled on one manual, and then 8' and 4' are playable separately or coupled on the other manual. Optionally, manuals can be coupled together, making it possible to double the 8', combine 16' and 4', or any other combination. (Though it's physically hard to play when all four ranks of strings are engaged.)

In addition, some harpsichords offer a lute stop, which dampens the strings, resulting in a more lute / guitar-like sound. Others have a "nasale" stop, which imparts a more nasal tone (not sure how this works, as I haven't seen an acoustic harpsichord with these).

So then I got to thinking: what can hex layers do with this? I was thinking that mapping the 6 sliders could control volume levels of the following:

16' (harpsichord patch played an octave down)

8' (manual 1)

8' (manual 2)

4' (harpsichord patch played an octave up)

8' lute (tweak harpsichord patch envelope/settings for more guitar-like sound)

8' nasale (tweak harpsichord patch envelope/settings for nasal tone)

And then it would be possible to "couple" these by adjusting relative levels of the sliders, resulting in more flexibility than a real harpsichord.

Since I'm new to this keyboard, maybe this reflects a fundamental misunderstanding of how it works ... but is something like this do-able?

• Like 3

@piano_71

You sound like you have the idea as XW-Addict also said.  Here's something to think about as well.  The Px-5s has 4 zones - meaning the keyboard can be divded into 4 independent layers or ranges.  They can overlap, or be sectioned, turned on or off, etc.

You could set each layer with it's own harpsichord tone for the different strings 16,8,8,4.  You could use the sliders to control volume on each or other states.  You could use the  knobs and additional sliders to control the effects.  I would probably try the zone control method before using a hex layer - though both are possible.  The zone control I like because it is also possible to turn on and off specific zones using the zone +and- keys without having to use the sliders which could free up the sliders for additional controls.

The Hex Layers definitely offer tone development flexibility, but they are limited to only being used on zone 1 and/or zone 2.  In this particular case, if you want a stage setting as a harpsichord, I would recommend not using a hex layer but 4 separate tones - one on each zone.  The sliders and the knobs control the entire stage setting, though they can also be used for hex layers.  You should experiment and find what works best.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

OK, I finally got to playing around with the data editor. I started with the existing harpsichord stage setting, but made some changes.

First, I discovered that transposing the harpsichord tone down an octave doesn't work well. So I dropped the 16' registration and went with the 4-zone approach, for 8', 8', 4', and 4' with lute stop. Turning zones off/on accomplishes the "coupling" effect as desired.

Then to fatten the sound, I detuned them slightly (differences of + / - 2 or 3 on the fine tuning).

Next problem to solve: I haven't found a way to make the lute stop effect convincing. I tried playing with the release to make it more abrupt and guitar-like, but the effect isn't wholly convincing. Any advice on how to simulate that sound?

Also, on a two-manual harpsichord, even if both manuals are playing 8' registration, each manual has a slightly different tone (one is slightly more 'nasal' than the other). Any thoughts on how to alter the harpsichord tone to impart a subtle nasal quality to the sound?

Hello!

Very interesting project ! I love it!

First of all, transposing doesn 't work indeed very well, but I do not know how accurately you want the harpsichord sound to be? The px has much more guitar tones which might be suitable for the harpsichord in a 16' registration. You'll have to test all guitar tones each.

For the lute stop: there is an effect in the px-5s, which emulates the piano lid. It has 3 settings which can be fine-tuned, open, half open lid or closed lid. Using an knob or the mod wheel as on/off button, you could set it up for open or closed lid. It is in the DSP effects. You can change the values of the effect, but as I remember I didn't notice much difference on piano sounds when trying the piano lid effect.
So I don't know if it will be suitable.

Also, I would try to use the Air program, but dunno if this works on hex layers. Will come back with this, after I tried on the px.

For a more nasal sound, try to change the cutoff frequency of the filter (usually an LPF) in the 8' tone of the hex layer.

• Like 1