Video Files on Forum ×

The missing BIG LCD on Synth´s

User 29303

so just an Idea for Mike & The Casio Mechanics.....:)

If we have USB in / out and no money to putt a big LCD into the Casio Synth´s why not having an external Android / IOS app using any tablett as Synth-Screen ?

So everybody is free to use a 7" 10" 13"  20" 24" to programm his Casio.....

• Like 2

Perhaps many manufacturers know that individuals have personal preferences for 'touch screens' (i.e. tablets), therefore allowing third party screens to be used makes a lot of sense. It also means it's far easier to upgrade the 'screen' (tablet) for when newer technology comes out (increasing the instruments longevity), and means that the XW's could be manufactured and sold at very competitive prices in the first place. Casio didn't design that big black rubber pad area just as a coffee cup holder, they were quite clever in their thinking!

What I think Casio SHOULD be doing is producing their own apps for the various platforms. Though the ipad has some, decent controller apps for the Android platform are seriously lacking, which is strange when you take into account the size of the Android user base. Casio should be trying to capture that market by producing their own apps for the various tablets and their platforms. This in my opinion would make the XW's even more attractive and accessible via modern technology, something that is increasingly important in today's electronic market.

I'm throwing in on this one too (I've been all over the boards lately sorry but I'm psyched!) The midi spec for Android hasn't been developed enough yet, from what I've researched. With dual and quad core CPUs even in inexpensive tablets now, maybe the time has come. Whatever apps exist have limited or no functionality through the usb ports so far and require something called OTG (on-the-go) specs.  I did find one developer who claims to have developed a midi driver for Android with OTG but I haven't tried it yet since I haven't found an app in Android market that is designed to use this connectivity, if anybody can pitch in I'm all ears (no joke intended).

There are some amazingly advanced Android apps that work as stand-alone. I've also posted a request  elsewhere in this forum for Casio to develop an editor for the PX Privia series to give more access to control parameters. Maybe they will. Maybe we can, see below.

Having complete control of  the keyboard from any computer platform would be wonderful but would require a different design for each keyboard's specs. Check out a program called CTRLR which I am studying (trying to develop my own control interface for the PX-350) and allows for development ofcustom front-ends for just about anything with MIDI specs and there are already many on their website. It's complex but it looks promising and is designed to be used with Linux, OS10 and Windows, not Android but Android is Linux-based so..........

I don't think Casio will make any apps for Android or any other platform except Apple. I suspect that Casio and Apple have some kind of a deal. It is apparent from all the XW's presentations, they always mention how cool is their rubber pad because you can put there your iPad. Which is a little bit weird - Casio, producing affordable but clever things on one side, and Apple well known about their overpriced products. 

So i have i see my Idea using the Tablett as a LCD for Synth are  finding some interessting conversations..i will push it again so my new Idea is givin the Synth also a Modular Software and using the Tablett als a Software Module you can integrate in the Sound Process of the Synth....

haha this means if i like my Synth with an 16 Bar Hammond Plugin i load it into my Tablett and via USB it works like a ASIO Plugin interated into my inside software of the Synth..if i like to have more Sound programming i add a FM / Wavetable  plugin...and so on ...

Yes....crazy maybe @NAMM2020 maybe from KORG but for shure from CASIO :)

With all respect, I must disagree and wouldn't look too deep into this searching for secret deals between Apple and Casio.

I believe this has everything to do with Cost vs. Benefit  and ROI strategy by Casio.

Mike Martin has been pretty vocal about this before on this forum and judging from his previous statements, this is how I understand it:

• Why does Casio state that the rubber pad is good for an iPad and never mentions Android or Windows devices?
    • iOS devices are hands down beating other platforms when it comes to high quality virtual instruments and music making apps
    • When you see musicians using tablets, they are "usually" (but now always) iPads
    • There is a reason why you don't see Animoog, Nave, iPolysix, iElectribe, iMS20, etc... on Surface or Android app stores
    • Also one of reasons why I returned my Surface and stuck to iPad
  • Why is there no XW app for Android or Windows Mobile?
    • Easy answer: the XW application was built upon Midi Designer framework which exists only on iOS
    • My hunch is that Casio saw the potential in Midi Designer platform and instead of building their own app from the ground up, they leveraged Midi Designer as their foundation, built the front end and were able to bring this to market much faster and cheaper than starting from scratch themselves
    • Using Midi Designer also solved Casio's problem whether to hire an army of mobile developers to build everything themselves
    • I don't mean to side with Casio here, but to be honest, we should be asking the same question from Korg, Waldorf and Moog why their apps are on iOS and not on Surface or Android tablets
    • Apple has had CoreMIDI built into their OS for a very long time, making various APIs available to developers and that's where the other platforms lack
    • MIDI lag was one of the main reasons why I returned my Surface tablet, low quality music apps, or lack thereof, missing plug'n'play functionality

One doesn't really realize how great it is to plug your controller to your tablet directly without messing around with MIDI drivers. That's what Apple did and developers started flocking around their OS. When Android and Windows RT actually implement MIDI without the real time lag they are plagued with today, things will change.

I don't think Casio will make any apps for Android or any other platform except Apple. I suspect that Casio and Apple have some kind of a deal. It is apparent from all the XW's presentations, they always mention how cool is their rubber pad because you can put there your iPad. Which is a little bit weird - Casio, producing affordable but clever things on one side, and Apple well known about their overpriced products. 

• Like 1

Thanks for opening this post, Mau Van!

I, for one, was really excited to see the KORG Gadget app coming out and hope that Casio counters, although this would mean to develop their own rather than using tablets to just control hardware synths.

Tablets keep (and will keep) getting better and more powerful, eventually allowing them to have enough strength to be standalone instruments.

I'd envision:

1. apps as Animoog or Nave to become full fledged composition and performance suites allowing you to create sound and record and mix it down
  2. Hardware keyboard would be pretty much nothing but a MIDI controller without any engine inside
  3. Controllers would gain wireless capability (WIFI or Bluetooth) in addition to class compliant USB MIDI
  4. Musicians could choose what keyboard they would like to play on based upon their need
    1. Pick a 88 weighted controller for a piano gig
    2. 2 tier controller for Hammond  or church organ users
    3. 49 key board for a bass or small gigs, etc...
    4. 61 key controller for home studio or day to day use
    5. Microkey controller for commuters
  5. Possibilities are endless and I really think there is market for this because the price could eventually come down
  6. I would have never dreamt of even owning a Moog and now I have fun with Animoog for the price of a small dinner at Chili's. 
    Does it sound like a Moog? No, but it's darn close..
  7. I could day dream all day long about having a full version of Omnisphere, Kontakt, Alchemy or Logic's Sculpture on an iPad :-) I think we are slowly heading there.

Manufacturers could try to have these built-in, but the tablets and their OS are developing so fast that by the time they'd bring something to market, it could already be obsolete.

It won't be long before ARM processors have enough horsepower to be able to handle GB sized samples, making Ivory, Miroslav Philharmonik or Lounge Lizard run on a tablet with enough polyphony to make it stage-worthy.

It is amazing what quality you can get from simple iOS apps, just because they have high quality samples.

So i have i see my Idea using the Tablett as a LCD for Synth are  finding some interessting conversations..i will push it again so my new Idea is givin the Synth also a Modular Software and using the Tablett als a Software Module you can integrate in the Sound Process of the Synth....

haha this means if i like my Synth with an 16 Bar Hammond Plugin i load it into my Tablett and via USB it works like a ASIO Plugin interated into my inside software of the Synth..if i like to have more Sound programming i add a FM / Wavetable  plugin...and so on ...

well so in the next PX5S we maybe can se some like an OASYS System from Casio, with an Connector for IPAD ans maybe ANDROID of course i dont understant why Google is loosing this big market fo musicians maybe the are to arrogant ? ....but IOS is perfect for a Modular System allowing to plug and play optional Power to a Synth...

If you look the KRONOS is the Power Machine Nr1 actually and they use a ATOM inside....

Anyway i think the future will be Synth allowing the User to upload modules to expand it to the sound and System he like...and we also take care of the Nature ...

I am more willing to buy a module to expand my Synth then having lot of Hardware laying around ...but that´s my opinion..

I don't really see your logic in VGA/HDMI out. I have an XW-P1 and I can connect it to my PC via USB, and then in the Data Editor can edit all the parameters, looking at my HD desktop monitor. On the other hand, if you wish for many buttons and knobs on your keyboard, then you won't really need a large LCD display, or any display at all, except for the tone bank numbers to see.

Casio has been having a history of functional monochrome display on their synth, I honestly don't see the point in having an expensive color lcd display on an future  PX5 or XW synth it just adds to the pricing beside's look what Casio has manage to power the PX5S all their proprietary technology into a lighter then a workstation keyboard.

The only reason I think a color or touch display would fit is for a monster workstation but that would be very expensive let alone to maintain for parts,  What if your screen gets a crack and bust you cant get into the keyboard how would you feel to wait if support available in you're vicinity.

I would like a synth with display but the reason for that must be for it to having true value, And synths of that caliber are pricey or over priced. I can see why most of classic Casio synth are still around battered ,cracked or near good , good condition still usable and for sale with simple character screens and circuit boards lasting a good beating if not.

But it is also true you can omit complex structures with a bigger screen overseeing the many function inside the synth but it has to add value for that to even put it there. If you rely on component makers who build say a cpu and let say component parts are dropping each year to build a product that fits a market segment how long would that last hard to predict. Alas the time for a cpu or component that might be in the market circuit for five to six years before getting discontinued. Support would be not easy to setup looking ahead for several years of supporting a product that should also be considered for display's.

Even my Korg MW1 workstation has a simple character display everything is accessible and quick on performance same for my XW-G1 sorry but the music as of now I experimented and created with it is for me workstation stuff even if it has less WK snuff it gives big. Whatever Casio might release next will be typical  Casio specific I have also a wish list other synth on the market can provide but there is a liking to the Casio sound which I can understand greatly.  

I'm throwing in on this one too (I've been all over the boards lately sorry but I'm psyched!) The midi spec for Android hasn't been developed enough yet, from what I've researched. With dual and quad core CPUs even in inexpensive tablets now, maybe the time has come. Whatever apps exist have limited or no functionality through the usb ports so far and require something called OTG (on-the-go) specs.  I did find one developer who claims to have developed a midi driver for Android with OTG but I haven't tried it yet since I haven't found an app in Android market that is designed to use this connectivity, if anybody can pitch in I'm all ears (no joke intended).

There are some amazingly advanced Android apps that work as stand-alone. I've also posted a request  elsewhere in this forum for Casio to develop an editor for the PX Privia series to give more access to control parameters. Maybe they will. Maybe we can, see below.

Having complete control of  the keyboard from any computer platform would be wonderful but would require a different design for each keyboard's specs. Check out a program called CTRLR which I am studying (trying to develop my own control interface for the PX-350) and allows for development ofcustom front-ends for just about anything with MIDI specs and there are already many on their website. It's complex but it looks promising and is designed to be used with Linux, OS10 and Windows, not Android but Android is Linux-based so..........

if the Tablett works with OTG then any midi software should work .....i have rooted my Nexus7 to open a better OTG Firmware,works fine with midi but not with latency..this is a real google problem ...

Casio has been having a history of functional monochrome display on their synth, I honestly don't see the point in having an expensive color lcd display on an future  PX5 or XW synth it just adds to the pricing beside's look what Casio has manage to power the PX5S all their proprietary technology into a lighter then a workstation keyboard.

The only reason I think a color or touch display would fit is for a monster workstation but that would be very expensive let alone to maintain for parts,  What if your screen gets a crack and bust you cant get into the keyboard how would you feel to wait if support available in you're vicinity.

I would like a synth with display but the reason for that must be for it to having true value, And synths of that caliber are pricey or over priced. I can see why most of classic Casio synth are still around battered ,cracked or near good , good condition still usable and for sale with simple character screens and circuit boards lasting a good beating if not.

But it is also true you can omit complex structures with a bigger screen overseeing the many function inside the synth but it has to add value for that to even put it there. If you rely on component makers who build say a cpu and let say component parts are dropping each year to build a product that fits a market segment how long would that last hard to predict. Alas the time for a cpu or component that might be in the market circuit for five to six years before getting discontinued. Support would be not easy to setup looking ahead for several years of supporting a product that should also be considered for display's.

Even my Korg MW1 workstation has a simple character display everything is accessible and quick on performance same for my XW-G1 sorry but the music as of now I experimented and created with it is for me workstation stuff even if it has less WK snuff it gives big. Whatever Casio might release next will be typical  Casio specific I have also a wish list other synth on the market can provide but there is a liking to the Casio sound which I can understand greatly.  

my Idea was to have the tablet as an aditional display so anyone is free to play with the inside mono LCD and / or plug in a external tablett to have an secondary Dispaly ,,,why ? well programming sounds is easy on a bigger display have ever tried the KRONOS ? ;) and you could also use the

tablett as an controller .......well just an idea...;)

• 3 months later...

It was Casio who actually invented the concept of big LCD touchscreen operated synths in 1979!

Look at this patent: http://www.google.com/patents/US4440057 (US4440057)

By the lack of technology they imagined the implementation as segment graphics LCDs with changable foil overlays coming with individual synth data ROM-packs or such things. It is a shame that Casio didn't continue the idea of having a simple synth feature in every cheap keyboard after the VL-Tone VL-1. Strange is that even the 2 CPUs in my Casiotone 201 (first Casio keyboard ever) contain an unused LCD segment display port (likely outputting the selected preset sound number).

• Like 1