XW-P1 vs. XW-G1

bass_produce

I ve owned casio before and really dug 'em..namely the WK-1630 and WK 7500. I'm currently  In the process of buying / ordering the XW-P1 unfortunately... I was informed that the distribution site /contact  was unable to ship but made a good deal on the XW-G1, so the XW-G1 on its way to me instead of the P1. 

here's my concern. I ve been watching/listening to dozens of videos for the P1 and loving the piano sounds. Anyone know what the piano sounds like on the G1, does it have piano at all? 

Please help....thanks

The only things you're going to lose on the G1 vs the P1 is the drawbar organ voices and the hex layer voices.  Not a dealbreaker for some, but personally I think those are two of the P1's best features.

On the other hand you do gain a sampler and greater control over the synth voices than the P1 has.

It's your call...

Gary

The XW-G1 has the same Stereo Grand Piano found on the XW-P1.

Apparently not. If you compare the waves listed in each model's appendix you will find that the G1's acoustic piano is double strike, whereas the P1's is triple strike. Even Mike Martin has said as much on the Casio forum (don't have time to look up the exact post at the moment). It's not a great difference, sure, but it IS a difference.
  • Like 1

The only things you're going to lose on the G1 vs the P1 is the drawbar organ voices and the hex layer voices.  

There are some more differences between the P1 & G1:

- The sliders on the XW-P1 can send MIDI CC messages when in drawbar mode (G1 sliders can not). Useful for controlling softsynths and apps. 

- The P1 has 100 more PCM tones than the G1

- The P1 can play .wav files via the SD card reader, the G1 can not

I actually love the G1 but unfortunately I foresee it going into the book of classic rare Casio's.  You know....  Kids 20 years from now will be looking up the XW-P1 and finding loads of info on it because "everyone knows about the P1" and then one day someone see's a lonely little pic down in the corner of a G1 and says "What's that?"  "They made a G1??"   OMG!!

• Like 3

I didn't notice that Alen.  Good catch. I'll guess that the third dynamic layer is probably omitted on the G1 but that it's the same piano samples otherwise.

BTW Alen.  You just keep pointing out my mistakes.  I will learn eventually.  ;)

I don't mean to keep doing that!  Sorry.  You are one of the most prolific posters here and IMO have earned a pass.

Re the piano samples in the G1, I'm sure you are right.  I doubt Casio would go to the trouble of using a totally different set of samples. 

• Like 1

There are some more differences between the P1 & G1:

- The sliders on the XW-P1 can send MIDI CC messages when in drawbar mode (G1 sliders can not). Useful for controlling softsynths and apps. 

- The P1 has 100 more PCM tones than the G1

- The P1 can play .wav files via the SD card reader, the G1 can not

and that is why I bought both.

Thanks so much for the great feedback. like i said in first (ever) post on this site....I ordered the P1 and things changed and I'm getting the G1. I m still psyched (late 60's term) about adding it to my studio. Looking forward to the clock signal drive my drum machines. I've always good results with these units. I'm a 58 years (young ) electric bassist, Vinyl records by the hundreds and grooving on everything from abba to the beatles...george duke (God rest his soul) raggae , funk jazz and blues. I listen to it all as well as  produce my own music.

Everyone here is really making feel at home and I most certainly look forward to touching base with you when m,y G1 comes in....Thanks for all your help and info..!

• Like 4

....  I'm a 58 years (young ) ....

Whew, I thought I was alone on this site as being the old guy.  I'm 58 too.  

You won't be disappointed with the G-1.  I ordered it first, but once I started reading about the P-1 and watched a slew of videos, I ordered one of them too and I love having them stacked on my Ultimate Support stand.

• Like 1

Only dance music makers and DJ will find the G1 after they collected a few classic synth for themselves and experimented with it for a while, I think they will appreciate the classic tendencies it also powers from within it's core. P1 has the same characteristics but more for the Vangelis and Jean synth music.

I think a video demo of the G1 controls could demonstrated in a studio recording rig its ability will probably turn people to the G1 for its control ability to fill or change a sequence on the fly all the Cz or Fz classic synth plus "Vintage" sampling rate sounds right out the box .    

• Like 2

Hey all

Spaeking of "out of the box" .... Guess who just unpacked his G1. Thats right, bass_produce. It was very well packaged for shipping, came complete instructions in spanish and englich...he he he . Temps are freezin here in virginia so its waiting for me to fire it up. WX-Addict just mentioned video taping this puppy in action in a studio environment and I would love to implement this, although ..I have to spend considerable time w nomenclature and hardware config.....yeah I'm psyched. We've been preparing to be clobbererd with this snow storm, perhaps if electric power holds up I'll get to spend time with this machine. Be back later.

• Like 1

Only dance music makers and DJ will find the G1 after they collected a few classic synth for themselves and experimented with it for a while, I think they will appreciate the classic tendencies it also powers from within it's core. P1 has the same characteristics but more for the Vangelis and Jean synth music.

I think a video demo of the G1 controls could demonstrated in a studio recording rig its ability will probably turn people to the G1 for its control ability to fill or change a sequence on the fly all the Cz or Fz classic synth plus "Vintage" sampling rate sounds right out the box .    

You nailed it. Spot on. Being able to load in vintage drum machines or even "chip tune" samples is a big draw. I like to say the XW-P1 is better for people who gig, like sound design and have a better handle on keyboard playing. The G1 is better for EDM, DJ's and those who are after a very specific sound they can get from the sampler. 

Of course, there is a lot of cross-over between the two models and they are more alike than they are different.. kind of like fraternal twins.. They share a huge amount of "DNA", but they are very unique in their own right. :)  

• Like 1

Quick check - in. Ive been working with the G1 unit, checking out the sounds , etc. 

...successfully synced to the Boss dr 880 drum machine after a little trial and error.

In trying to create my own "step sequences" I seem to lose my drums* as I select the next drum "part" using the - and + push button.

I'm having better success in editing the preset step sequences then creating my own. followed the you tube tutorial by Mike Martin and still having difficulty (user error) I'm sure. The sounds themselves are suitable for my taste....although I am not a keyboard player ,(self taught) so just noodling around is a blast.

note* drm1 = kick drum --  drm 2 snare   --  drm3 is hat and so forth. 

perhaps I should somehow de-activate the sliders, and stay with the default drm voices as I learn ..??

anyway i'll keep on it and see what happens.

Quick check - in. Ive been working with the G1 unit, checking out the sounds , etc. 

...successfully synced to the Boss dr 880 drum machine after a little trial and error.

In trying to create my own "step sequences" I seem to lose my drums* as I select the next drum "part" using the - and + push button.

I'm having better success in editing the preset step sequences then creating my own. followed the you tube tutorial by Mike Martin and still having difficulty (user error) I'm sure. The sounds themselves are suitable for my taste....although I am not a keyboard player ,(self taught) so just noodling around is a blast.

note* drm1 = kick drum --  drm 2 snare   --  drm3 is hat and so forth. 

perhaps I should somehow de-activate the sliders, and stay with the default drm voices as I learn ..??

anyway i'll keep on it and see what happens.

You're right on track its the only way to figure out how it blends to you're taste of the music you want to create once you get accustomed to the drum. 

Mind you that you sync to the boss you probably have to adjust manually which part you work on from the G1 step sequencer to match your boss try configuring a performance patch set up each zone drums etc and the midi.

I recommend using the G1 solely it has drumkits for any style of taste I use midi in performance mode to trigger a midi device or start a sequence from the G1. 

I recommend using the G1 solely it has drumkits for any style of taste I use midi in performance mode to trigger a midi device or start a sequence from the G1.

The Boss machine was just for me to make sure I can get it to work. I wont get sidetracked on it, just checked off my to do list.

The real concern is to create my own drum programs, the step sequencer, is an entirely different animal, different from my old Akai MPC 2000 XL. Is it possible to create drum patterns via the keys themselves, I mean is it possible to play them into the sequencer? If I'm barking up the wrong tree , I'll give up on that notion.

So main thing is for me to learn how to make this sequencer play whats inside my head. I own the Korg Electribe it works along the same lines. 16 steps broken up into 4 sections ..measures..., .it is a machine!

I mean is it possible to play them into the sequencer? If I'm barking up the wrong tree , I'll give up on that notion.

Possible with the phrase sequencer not the step sequencer. The "swing"  or tie function on the step seq. may help you dial in the beat as well. Please post some pics of your rig. Sounds really cool! B) . 

The Boss machine was just for me to make sure I can get it to work. I wont get sidetracked on it, just checked off my to do list.

The real concern is to create my own drum programs, the step sequencer, is an entirely different animal, different from my old Akai MPC 2000 XL. Is it possible to create drum patterns via the keys themselves, I mean is it possible to play them into the sequencer? If I'm barking up the wrong tree , I'll give up on that notion.

So main thing is for me to learn how to make this sequencer play whats inside my head. I own the Korg Electribe it works along the same lines. 16 steps broken up into 4 sections ..measures..., .it is a machine!

If you mend doing the drumming through the Boss then yes its possible you will need the instrument appendix list tho to set the pads up correctly it's a small booklet delivered with the manual of the synth. And probably have to select the channel or drumkit to accompany the list set its how I did it with my akai mpx8, off course doing the reverse is also possible by letting the G1 play the drums through the Boss doing it with my mpx8 was tricky at first cause the range of key was map different lucky the pads could be setup accordingly to any key on the G1 wanted , You've give me a few new ideas :).