XW-P1 vs. XW-G1

bass_produce

The Boss DR-880...was a part of my set-up just to make sure I can get it up and running. I do not plan on spending time on the drum machine (not yet anyway) the drum machine is not my focus. The focus is the ability to program the beats , the beatsThat I've already created (via MPC BOss etc..) to program those beats on my G1. ( yes I do have a nuber of songs that I want to re-record.

You know what this is called right???

A Labor of Love..yea Man...that what this is! It's a bitter sweet relationship between man and machine. Hey!!! someone should write a song about this !

...:-).

Anyway Ive got enough on my plate now. I"m glad if I gave you some ideas, although that was never my intention...how cool is that, I ask you guys for help and I give someone an idea. ....I love it..!

Quick chk-in :

Believe I'm getting the hang of the step sequencer. I've created to patterns and want play them in succession. Begun "chaining" together my patterns....still need to touch upon recording with the sampler, as well as messing with the looper and connecting to the PC. Carry on.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Connected my iPAD running Music Studio app ..WXG1 via camera connection. iPAD is the master and Casio responds to start and stop, although I'm unable to record midi notes to "Music studio" any suggestions? BTW when i'm able to record to the app the timing/synced gets out of wack.. Please advise. thanks

bass_produce

Before you attempt to upgrade the firmware (OS) on your G-1, you may want to review this thread:

http://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/topic/4834-pooched-xw-p1/

More than a few users have turned their XW's into useless bricks during the process.  Some have admitted to power failures during the upgrade process or to doing the upgrade wrong, but others did everything correctly and still ended up with a brick.  There is a chance that there may be a glitch in the procedure.  I am holding off on upgrading my P-1 until Casio has had a chance to look at the procedure.  If an upgrade goes sour, the keyboard has to be sent to a service center for a reload.

BUT . . . I think zymos is correct, your MIDI sync problem is probably due to the need for the upgrade.

Good luck !

• Like 1

Thanks again for sending that link/ info...I'll wait to upgrade the firmware, and concentrate on what I can and cannot do with this  WX G1 instrument. I ve spent time this lunch break w/Music Studio ipad app... and try to get my brain around it.

As far as desktop computers go...I never enjoyed (was productive ) , with the pc audio mulitrack recording, although MIDI recording has been cooperative.

I'll send some pics of my setup , when the sun comes back out, ipad shoots better with natural sunlight...looking forward to whats coming up next. i am still stoked about what this machine can do in my hybrid setup. btw my iPAD is up to the current version thanks.... 

Thanks, Brad.  I'll get the P1 upgraded this weekend.

Zymos, I think you are right about the affected units being just the P1's.  I think I am just remembering a couple of G1 guys holding off in case the G1's were also affected.

bass_produce - sorry - didn't mean to alarm you needlessly, but didn't want you to blow up your G1 without being forewarned.  Looks like you should be OK to go, BUT . . . as with any firmware update/upgrade, you do not want the process to be interrupted once it is started, so best to do it on batteries (keyboard + laptop) or at least not at a time when there is a good chance of a power failure (thunder storms, ice storms, volcano eruptions, Rodan attacks, Godzilla attacks, etc, etc, etc ;) ).  At least one P1 update mishap is suspected of being caused by antivirus software.  Based on what the other guys have said here, I am going to do my P1 this weekend.  Good luck with yours, whenever you do it, and I think you are going to have to do it, if you want to fix your MIDI sync problems.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone ,

Been working in my home studio on a project , (acoustic guit/vocals), for a client. Making great relationships and really putting my gear through its' paces. Except of course, my G1. Will post some pics soon..( sorry but I foget who asked for them.) ..I ve yet to update / upgrade the firmware on the G1. has anyone with a G1 experienced any problems with this. . ? any way I'll be back soon with some pics.

thanks

Hey everyone ,

Been working in my home studio on a project , (acoustic guit/vocals), for a client. Making great relationships and really putting my gear through its' paces. Except of course, my G1. Will post some pics soon..( sorry but I foget who asked for them.) ..I ve yet to update / upgrade the firmware on the G1. has anyone with a G1 experienced any problems with this. . ? any way I'll be back soon with some pics.

thanks

http://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/topic/5522-updating-the-xw-firmware/

As most people on this forum already know, I own both a P1 and a G1. I got my P1 first (in November 2012) as the powerful Hex layers were the big draw for me. Initially I couldn't see the point of the G1, I thought it was just a dumbed down P1 with the extra feature of the sampling. Well, having now had the G1 for a few months the extra drums and the greater real time control over the solo synth has knocked me for six. I have barely even touched on the sampler side of things yet! They really do compliment each other well, and I have to say that the G1 hasn't been marketed as well as it could because quite simply, a lot of people don't really know what it can do over the P1. Ideally, Casio should have merged the two together to give the XW-PG1, though for now I recommend anyone with a P1 to get a G1 (and vice versa). Together, you will have covered virtually every base and will have a formidable rig. So much so that out of the 28 Casios I own (yes really!) I've hardly touched the other 26 of late...  :wacko:

• Like 1

Hello all,

Ive yet to venture into "sampler" land with my G1......I'm still monkeying around with all the on board sounds. For me the "blessings" and the ."challenges" are toooooooo many way cool hardware configurations. I mean I had that running through my Yamaha motif rack, thru the Williams digi piano underneath it....i mean man!! The choices are all over the place. This unit stands out on its own just fine. I still did not upgrade the firmware....no prob because, the studio has to go the direction of my work, flow. Ive picked the Yamaha MGP 16 x mixer headphone amp , etc. The G1 does get played regularly and I'm glad I bought it. Btw I picked this VS-20 hardware 2 channel controllr as wel. Yep Ive got my hands full......bit I am sooooooo digging it! What you think of the pics I sent?

Later

• 1 month later...

Hello Once again...

Need some more help, please.

Back in the studio. In the process of creating a back-up track. Can't seem to save my user step sequence, properly. ie..the tempo is different than the way I "wrote" it. There's a asterisk next to the user number. trying to figure out why it's not saving correctly. What am I doing wrong. Ive ..Checked the user manual.. must go deeper into it i guess. thanks

• 4 weeks later...

I love my G1, it does more then i bargain for, at the price i payed for it.

Mastered my 20 + year old Yamaha 540 to the point i could do things it simply was not destined too do.

With my G1 i'm in for a good year or better before i even scratch the potential of this board.

I've made a few little tunes a week or so ago (of this post -May-29-14) that i wouldn't even dare put on this form or soundcloud because the tunes are so "out there" it's not even right - Ha- ha !

But that's ok, if i keep this up much longer i'll just be another  "Starving artist"  :blink: