XW-P1 vs. XW-G1

bass_produce

• 1 month later...

I wish to thank all of you for your help, advice and insight. I'm the old school home studio engineer/bass player, that has found it quite difficult to carve out the time and dedication to learning to operate this instrument. It has proven to be more of a challenge, and I really don't have the desire to monkey around with the XW-G1 any longer. There fore I'm selling it off, and using the money to pick up an electronic drum kit. Ive got a number of songs that I need to finish. My intention was to purchase a keyboard "work station" to work up ideas for my original stuff. This machine is waaaay cooool and sounds are terrific. 

A Linear thinker I am not, and unfortunately even trying to follow the manual, I'm unable to do the the most basic routine. I am sure it will do what I need, and watching the videos on you tube were inspirational. But it was not happening for me in reality.

Take care and all the best to you in your musical endeavors.

bass_produce....signing out for now? 

Always sorry to see a Casio user jump ship, but you do make a valid point.  The XW synths are very deep devices with a couple of hundred menus and submenus to explore.

Learning to master all the nuances of the machines can literally take years of patient study and experimentation, as much as or more so than learning music theory itself.

If you're looking for instant results though, pretty much everything electronic out there these days will demand about as much study and experimentation to get the results you are looking for.  Just getting a few MIDI commands recognized pretty much qualifies as an IQ test on most machines these days.

One thing I can virtually guarantee though.  A few days after you sell off your XW you will start to miss it and regret your decision.

Anyway, drop by and visit with us anytime and let us know how you make out with different equipment.

Gary

My intention was to purchase a keyboard "work station" to work up ideas for my original stuff. This machine is waaaay cooool and sounds are terrific. 

Bass_Produce, this I believe is half your problem. The XW-G1/ P1's have never been, nor have ever been intended, as 'work stations'. Both are intended to be far more as performance synthesizers, with 'on the fly' capabilities thanks to the step and phrase sequencers, and real time controls. 

I've had my P1 for 18 months now, and my G1 just over 6 months. I am STILL learning new tricks with both of them, and whereas I was managing to have fun with both straight out of the box they both require a change in thinking and approach compared with previous synths I've had. The biggest difference is that the XW's are way, way more than just a synth. They are effectively a drum machine, a rhythm machine, a poly synth, and a mono synth all in one. Additionally, in the case of the P1 it is also a drawbar emulator and has the amazing Hex Layers, and in the case of the G1 has the sampler and looper. 

It took me a while to realise the importance of saving individual Tones and step sequencer patterns first, and THEN saving them as Performances once set up. Once I got my head round this, I was able to start finding the immense potential that both these boards offer, though I really feel that I have barely scratched the surface of their capabilities. I agree that the supplied manual really could be better, however, the fact that the XW's take a whole new approach to combining so many features means that some lateral thinking is required. Once you get your head round this, so much more starts to make sense.

I also agree with Gary, in that you may struggle with many other more recent offerings from other manufacturers. Some are a little easier to use hands on, i.e. the Novation Bass Station 2 and Roland GAIA, but they are easier simply due to them having less features compared with the XW's. Don't expect drum/ step/ phrase sequencers/ samplers, nor any ability to program any form of sequences (other than arpeggios). All that would have to be done via a DAW or standalone sequencer. That may be a solution for you, perhaps buy a DAW like Cubase, or even a freeware DAW such as Reaper? That could well give you the workstation capabilities that you are seeking?

Lastly, I would again recommend many of the video clinics produced by Mike Martin, as these really do start to show you how to get the best out of an XW. You may need to watch some sections a few times to grasp some of the techniques, though this would apply to any new piece of musical electronic technology. It's a learning curve, and you really will get more out of these quirky boards the more you put into them. If you have made up your mind to let it go, it is sad but I wish you well. I do urge you to try getting your head round your XW just a little bit more before giving up on it. You might well get that 'Eureka' moment and suddenly connect with the XW, then you'll wonder just how you ever managed without one. :)

• 2 months later...

Hello all,

The sale of my XW-G1, never came to pass. My XW, back at atG Studios, where it is being put to use. I am going to eat this elephant....one bite at a time....ie: read the manual and press in. Number one on my list is re-recording 14 or more of my original songs, and incorporate the "XW" any and every where I can. Learning music theory is at the top of my list as well. Looking forward to learn from all you...LETS DO THIS! Thanks sooo much for all your encouragement and insight.  

• Like 3

hello bass_produce-I am a retired music instructor/performer who recently purchased the XW-P1 and the PX350. I've always loved music in any form, especially the twisted/tortured stuff-see my avatar.

Any questions re music theory, I'll pitch in with what I can, or PM me if you prefer. I've studied arranging, composition, all that stuff that hurts your head sometimes etc. Certainly others here know more than I. Ask away, forum keeps my "little gray cells" from shrinking! Not to brag (OK I am) one of my professors years ago before he passed was Thad Jones, what an incredible teacher he was! All he had to do was play-he played flugelhorn, trumpet and piano-like Duke Ellington and Count Basie, what an experience to be one of his students for a brief time yes I'm that old.  Learned some chord voicings and "coloration" from him, he liked the Impressionists-Debussy, Ravel. A beautiful human being, he brought patience and experience to the classroom, and his friends Dizzy Gillespie and Elvin Jones, yow! They too loved to teach theory, technique. Was I lucky to be there and learn a little, let my ears guide me, which is why I try to keep the wax/cowebs out. :P  And share what I've been given.

My brother is the bass player in the family from way back. I've picked up some (limited) technique from him. We don't work together anymore, he's at the NJ shore working steady and I live in PA pretty far away from that, but we share theory when we can. I i think it helps if you apply it practically, not just as more useless knowledge. Sorry I got a little heavy/personal here but I'm an old geezer trying to stay out there before the man says it's time to go!

• Like 2

bass_produce....Just another thought after studying these posts-perhaps you are a "linear' thinker after all.

As a bass player, are you thinking linear as you play, and sometimes horizontal (harmonically)? Many current keyboards, including the XWs are designed for (sort of IMO) non-linear music design and playing as already described-more of an 'ostinato" short phrase style of thinking-assemble a short pattern, then layer a phrase or arpeggio, patch several patterns together, etc. and finally you have a full more extended piece of music.

To play all these "live" in a linear way, I have to think my XW as several different instruments in an orchestra or ensemble, so it requires a completely different technique to play a live performance "on the fly" using only the G1 or P1.... As if you are creating an entire ensemble all at once.

If more comfortable with 'linear' thinking- I find a multi-track sequencer a little more approachable for composing, whether it's software or hardware based. The WK and CTK series have multi-track sequencers which I haven't tried yet and are probably very easy to use this way. I use other workstations/software with this capability for laying down one long track from beginning to end in one pass, etc. as if playing live or in the studio.

The XW is still an interesting challenge since it makes me think in a different way, an interesting way to create music, fer sure! But if I needed to crank out full production tracks in a hurry/ professionally on a deadline, I would definitely keep my workstations. And the XW.

• Like 1

Thanks.

I receive these words more than youll ever know.

This man , that you made reference to, is perhaps the Man , I love and serve and worship, this Man s Name is Wonderful, Counselour, Mighty God...Jesus Christ!

Ive been playing elec bass guitar, in and out of bands night clubs as well weddings you name it, for quite a number of years, my regret is , i foolishly squandered that time. Well He is faithful to allow this time ..to make this right.

Last night we had our first "song writers Guild" are we are stoked at all the original musical motifs we have written on our own, the 5 of us will begin this jounery together and we will musically " kick *** " on our spiritual enemy! Using the talents God has given us.

I will take you up on the offer of the music theory help. I truly believe , There is a truth, a reality at work, that states, basically, when you give it will be multiplied back to you. Perhaps this is that opportunity for us all. Im interested how the "pm" option works.

You all are my gift, thanks.

Lets stay in touch.

angel g out for now.

• 1 month later...