Video Files on Forum ×

Putting audio on sd card

Patrick Arend

Does  anyone on the forum have any info on how to put audio on an sd card?

Hi Patrick.. it's  done in the Data Editor...Details are in the Editor manual, Page E-24

http://support.casio.com/en/support/download_files/en/008/manuals/DATAEDITORS1-E1B.pdf

Important thing is the target audio file needs to be in the right format.. use a DAW or other audio utility to convert. 

Patrick

Audio files placed on an SD Card for the XW-P1 are Casio proprietary audio files.  They are not Windows standard 16-bit 44.1 Khz wav files, rather they are 42 KHz audio files.  They are placed in a hidden partition on the SD Card by the XW Data Editor software, so they can not be seen on the SD Card by Windows Explorer and any audio files just copied to the SD Card with Windows Explorer will not be recognized by the XW-P1.  The XW Data Editor software will convert Windows standard 16-bit 44.1 Khz wav files into the Casio proprietary format and install them onto the SD Card, but the files to be converted must be this exact format.  So-called wav files with any other format (8, 24, 32 bit / 48 etc KHz sample rate) will not even be recognized by the Data Editor software.  Audio files in other formats (including MP3) will need to be converted into the standard 16-bit 44.1 Khz wav format with other third party audio software before the XW Data Editor will recognize them.

If you have not already done so, download and install the latest version of the XW Data Editor software from the Casio website onto your PC.  Plug an SD Card into the XW-P1 and format it with the XW-P1.  You should be able to format it on a PC, but the new Casio boards get a bit picky about formatting when dealing with audio files, so best to be safe and just do it on the board to begin with.  That will also automatically create the MUSICDAT folder for storage of other than audio files.  Unplug the SD Card from the XW-P1 and plug it into the card reader on your PC.  Start the XW Data Editor software.  When it comes up, click on "Preference" - the last item in the menu at the left of the Data Editor window.  In the "Preference" window, go to the last (bottom) data entry field, entitled "WAVE File Folder Path" and click on the "Browse . . ." button at the right of that field.  Browse to the folder on your PC that contains the wav file(s) that you want to convert and install on the SD Card.  Nothing will be done to the files on your PC, so you do not need to worry about them.  When you get to the intended folder, you will not see the files in it yet at this point.  Once the intended folder is showing in the data entry field, click on "Audio" in the menu field, and this should take you to the audio file transfer screen.  You should see all of the correct format audio files in that folder listed in the left hand pane.  Click on the SD Card icon at the top left corner of the right hand pane and select the correct "drive" designation for your SD Card.  Drag and drop the desired files from the left pane to the right pane and the Data Editor will convert them and install them onto the SD Card.  You can use the standard Windows SHIFT-CLICK and CTRL-CLICK for dragging and dropping multiple files at a time.  Remove the SD Card from your PC card reader and plug it back into the XW-P1.  Press the "DEMO / PLAYER" buttons, and when the menu comes up, arrow down to "Audio" and press "Enter".  The first audio file should show in the display.  Use the data wheel or "- / +" buttons to select other audio files. Press the "START/STOP" button to start or stop file play.  When finished, press the "Exit" button as many times as necessary to return to the "Performance" screen.

As an interesting side item: for those that have a CTK/WK-7XXX Workstation as well as an XW-P1 or that have friends or colleagues with those workstations - audio recordings of performances on those workstations may be ported directly to the XW-P1 on their own SD Cards and played there, as the audio files for all of those units are the same format.  What will play on one, will play on the others, but for audio file sharing, the downside is that the Data Editor or Data Manager software would still need to be used for copying audio files from one SD Card to another, since Windows Explorer can not access them.  For the most part, the procedures for handling audio files for all of these units is pretty much the same, it's just that the CTK/WK-7XXX Workstations will also create them.

• Like 6

Oh, you're welcome, Scott - Thanks for the kudos - and thanks for posting the link to the editor instructions.

I'm just keeping a promise I made to Patrick over in the General Discussion sub-forum.  I don't want him to have to wait for the next Live Clinic to get this info. ;)

• Like 2

Great outline Ted!

As a side note:  If the audio files for the XW-P1 are anything like the XW-G1 sampler files then the precise format will be 42,819Hz  16bit.  Casio doesn't tell us this. I figured it out on my own by having the data editor save a sample as a wav file and then using audacity to check it's format. The precise sample rate is necessary when creating instrument samples that need loops. I use audacity to find the perfect loop points and then define copy and paste the numbers in the data editor.   I would use the XW-G1 to set my loop points but it sometimes adds click noises to the sample that is not easily corrected.  I would like to see Tokyo correct this issue in an update but I fear they won't.

I think you are probably right about the sample rates on the P1 and G1, Brad.  I got the 42 KHz out of the P1 manual, where it discusses audio files.  It was mentioned so off-handedly, it almost didn't fit in with the rest of the discussion.  I mean, nothing else in the paragraph had been specific.  Why all of a sudden get specific about the sample rate and then not even follow up on what the important point really was - that being: "It is not a standard Windows wav file." No mention of that little item at all.  Any way, it would not surprise me if they just rounded the 42.819 off a bit to 42.  I would try to load one into Acid and check the specs on it, but when you format the SD Card, the keyboard repartitions the SD Card and creates that hidden partition to store the audio files in.  That's why you get that format error if you try to save an audio file to a card that was formatted in a PC.  That hidden partition isn't there in that case.  That's also why Windows can't get to them, and if it's a proprietary partition, I'm not sure even partitioning software could get to it.  I really don't understand the rationale behind that.

I am very disappointed about the "noisy" loops you are getting from the G1.  I bought an Ensoniq EPS-16+ (one of the few 16 bit samplers of the day) when they first came out back in the early 90's.  That thing was a full fledged sampler.  The only thing it had in ROM was the OS - no tones - no presets - no performances - nothing.  Once it booted, you had to load the tones you wanted to play in that session from 3 1/2" diskettes (and hope you didn't run out of memory before you had everything loaded), but it would sure give the Roland samplers of the day a good run for their money.  I think it had something like 8 or 10 or 12 different kinds of crossfades to avoid the problems you're having with the G-1.  Plus it had a full set of envelope shaping parameters and a complete set of insert effects that were the best of the day.  I used to  make some really beautiful samples with that thing - no loop clicks - no aliasing - just nice musical tones.  The only drawback was doing that kind of intense editing at the keyboard (no PC editors back then) was a real strain on the back, butt, and eye muscles.  Maybe that's why I now view the world with a squinty-eyed stoop. B)

I think it had something like 8 or 10 or 12 different kinds of crossfades to avoid the problems you're having with the G-1. 

I do the crossfades in audacity or Cakewalk.  It's tough keeping track of those precise sample numbers but it does work out.  The G1 could make a pretty good instrument sampling board.  For an example,  I can load (from the data editor) a click free sample into the G1 and then as I enter "point edit" mode there's a click added, not always, but it does depending on the sample. Maybe I'm not leaving enough silence at the start of the sample.  IDK.  Another example is when in POINT EDIT mode, doing sustained sound loops such as a sine wave, you can set a loop start point and then go to the end point and adjust.  Every time you back up the end point it leaves a click in the sample that won't go away.  The more times you back up a go over the same section of sample the more clicks are added to the sample.  The only way to get rid of the clicks is to discard the edits by changing tones without saving and starting over new.  So with all that, I decided it was best to not use the POINT EDIT mode on the G1 for more critical instrument samples.  Drums are not an issue.  

Edit:  To clarify, The issue is the inability to correct any clicks once they are introduced into the sample.  Clicks only appears in "point edit" mode on the G1.  Using the data editor for point edits is trouble free. 

• 5 years later...

Hi all,

I was hoping I could play audio files on my XW-G1, but reading this post suggests this is a XW-P1 feature only?

I've downloaded the the XW-G1 Data Editor, and discovered it lacked the Audio menu, so downloaded the XW-P1 Data Editor. However when selecting the Audio menu, the SD Card I have inserted is not recognised. Reading the Data Editor manual it suggests this would be the case if the SD card had been formated on a machine that does't accept Audio. 

As I formated the SD card in my XW-G1, I am assuming that is why it doesn't show up in the XW-P1 Data Editor.

Is there a way to transfer WAV files to my XW-G1, or am I limited to User Tones?

Cheers,

Rob