Video Files on Forum ×

PX-350 - "GrPnoClassic" -- trouble with "damper off" resonance

cpcohen

First post --

I picked up a PX-350 yesterday, and spent the afternoon exploring it. I'm impressed. Everything is great, except for one problem involving "damper-off" sympathatic string resonance.

The PX-350 makes a soft sound when the damper pedal is pressed -- not a problem, so do acoustic pianos.

With the damper off, sounding a note gives the note, and a "wash" of sound from the simulated open strings. Not a problem, it's supposed to be like that. And it sounds fine with most of the piano voices -- the "wash" stays in the background.

BUT:

With piano voice number 4 -- "GrPnoClassic" -- the "wash" includes a lot of non-harmonic content, and it becomes dissonant quickly. The effect isn't obvious playing one note, but a repeated major-chord arpeggio will make it audible.

. . . Has anyone else had this problem? Or are my ears playing tricks on me?

I see that this forum supports "attachments". When I figure out how to work the USB-drive recorder, I'll post an example.

Thanks --

. Charles / Richmond, BC, Canada

Press audio recorder once to turn on USB

Press again & the red light will flash...this is record mode.

Recording starts as soon as you start to play.

When you finish press audio recorder again and the light will cease to flash after a second or so.

To play back that track just press start/stop and it will play automatically.

When finished press audio record button & red light goes out.

Remove USB stick & plug it in to PC. WAV file will play in all media software.

The GrPnoClassic tone, playing middle C repeatedly, with pedal on (damper off) . --

Oops -- ran out of file space. The "500K bytes" limit applies to the _total length_ of all the files I upload. I'll see what happens if I compress the samples into MPG files. And I'll see if I can _remove_ the file I just uploaded . . .

I will work on this . . .

As I've been listening to the samples, and doing some Fourier analysis, I'm changing my opinion. I still think the "Classic" sound is muddier than the "Concert" sound. But I'm not sure that it's muddier than some real pianos that I've heard.

And "Classic" plays at a much lower level than "Concert", so comparisons are difficult. Maybe my ears _are_ playing tricks.

. Charles

Grrrrr --

The manual for the Casio PX-150 [!!!] has a discussion of the "Grand Piano" tones, on page E-9. My ears weren't deceiving me -- the "Classic" has different "resonance" settings than the other Grand Piano tones.

RTFM -- but it should be the manual for the keyboard I'm using, eh?

. Charles