Video Files on Forum ×

new Sounds new Samples ? on March...

User 29303

Given that the update.bin file is ~110MB, while the piano sample alone is specified at ~732MB, I don't believe the firmware updates include the ROM-based samples for the keyboard. Sounds don't usually compress by more than 7:1. That would support my theory that the samples are in separate ROM.

I'm guessing the March update could include firmware and stage settings, but the underlying ROM samples will remain the same as they can't be updated without physically replacing a chip/board?

good requests from all in the responder's. Personally, I would prefer orchestral expansion. With the ease of layering provided by the PX-5S, I believe the symphonic domain holds the biggest opportunities in regards to increasing the PX-5S popularity. The Yamaha M0* has wind and brass in the bag. I have to say the PX-5S has the piano sound in the bag hands down. imo.

• Like 1

good requests from all in the responder's. Personally, I would prefer orchestral expansion. With the ease of layering provided by the PX-5S, I believe the symphonic domain holds the biggest opportunities in regards to increasing the PX-5S popularity. The Yamaha M0* has wind and brass in the bag. I have to say the PX-5S has the piano sound in the bag hands down. imo.

I concur!

I find the px-5s lacking in woodwinds and orchestral sounds.

I listened to Mike's video from NAMM with Sonic State (link below) and it seems quite clear to me that the new "sounds" are new Stage Settings and not new samples.  He says it will be an "extreme synth bank" at about 0:40  He later calls it a "sound set" but I think those are just words that are more easily understandable for those less familiar with the instrument.  Nonetheless, I very much look forward to the release.  I am curious to see how that vocorder-like sound starting at about 1:40 was created.

I hadn't looked into the velocity sense of the drawbar organs.  I'll be darned - they aren't velocity sensitive, and don't seem to be able to be made to be (for the melody tones, anyway)!  How bizarre... I know organs aren't velocity sensitive, but the stage settings are completely able to handle that independently of the tone.  And it doesn't make sense that the other organs have velocity sensitivity, but not the drawbar tones.  It seems short-sighted to go out of your way to unbuild a capability from your product.

As far as the vocoder-like sound, it sounds to me like a filter sweep on a tone like VASynth2 with the arpeggiator cutting the expression on and off.  Pretty cool!  Can't wait to see how it was actually done!

• Like 1

I hadn't looked into the velocity sense of the drawbar organs.  I'll be darned - they aren't velocity sensitive, and don't seem to be able to be made to be (for the melody tones, anyway)!  How bizarre... I know organs aren't velocity sensitive, but the stage settings are completely able to handle that independently of the tone.  And it doesn't make sense that the other organs have velocity sensitivity, but not the drawbar tones.  It seems short-sighted to go out of your way to unbuild a capability from your product.

Yup......exactly!

And, as far as I can tell, the ONLY Organ sounds that can have the Velocity Sensitivity turned on are the GM Organs and the Rock Organs.

Or, am I missing something?

You would have to edit the TONE not the Stage Setting to make the organ sounds velocity sensitive.  Not short-sighted at all.

i have played my PX5S with Monitors this day´s and i can say there is a lot of very good samples and sounds and some are missing the deep ...most of all i feel the PX5S Sounds are very clean and sometime i miss a warmer feeling..playing around with samples is sometime

extremely funny the Clav Samples fits very well for a Guitar Sound...and so now i only miss minimal things in the PX5S ...

1.st ...recall Button for Programmed Sounds ..like a compare Button...i still have the problem programming a sound on the px5s and

accidently i push a stage button and the px5 is switching to the stage sound and a lot of work is gone..a recall button please !!

there is no  way to get back to the edited sound...

Ring Modulator section yes sounds crazy...

3. a stereo spread Effect...and FM Effect section.

4. drop of some GM samples who need them ? put inside some cool long samples...or analog instruments voices ...

or some voice samples ...not only those  " ahhhhh "   "uhhhhh " stuff there are so cool voice stuff remeber the

KORG M1 -.Voice ? ;)

5. Mike Martins......LIVE CLINIC n. 4 :-)

Hey Mike!  Perhaps I'm missing something.  I am getting the same results as SonnyDaye.

When you say "edit the tone", is there a step I'm missing, or another menu?  From the keyboard, I go to Edit > Tone > Amp > Velocity Sense.  I get the GM organs to respond, but not the Drawbar.

It's not too big of a deal, since that is doable in the hex layers.  I was just a little surprised that the melody tone doesn't seem to respond to specific tones.

Although I don't currently use velocity-sensitive organ tones, I'm really thinking about it for the dynamic control.

• Like 1

BradMZ -

I was mistaken about the sample size. I confused that with specs for a different keyboard (Yamaha MOXF8). I looked and looked but don't see any published specification for the size of the ROM data in the Casio PX-5S.

That said, I still think it is likely more than 110MB given the quality of the piano samples. Unless someone here has dissected the firmware update file and discovered WAVE samples within...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

hahaha of course Krullebolle i am still hoping of that freaky Job opportunity by Casio to burn out my brain ...to...anyway i love this PX5 and the more i try the more i learn ...about the sample size in the update 1.10 was some minor changes Casio added some Samples so i think it is possible to change and switch samples.....nobody knows how big this RAM or VROM is so maybe it is possible because there is more ram free to add samples or maybe not and they have to change them wich means soundpatches are also broken.....

i hope Casio was so sharp to leave some additional samples Ram....but we can recall the original patches this also mean there is a ROM with the

original information inside......ok last but not least....i also hope there is a hidden slot inside for future updates....;)

awaiting new sounds,,from MIKE

MauVan