Video Files on Forum ×

can you download songs to the Lk series?

areaman

hi, I've just purchased a LK 160ad keyboard, mainly for the kids. But it occurred to me if it was possible to download midi files to this unit of other songs, you know, in case they get ever get sick of "my bonnie.". the owners manual seems cryptic so I can't be sure - I suspect not, but does anyone know for sure?

thanks

Page 33 of the LK-160 manual explains how to connect the unit to a computer for playing external MIDI song data from a computer based sequencer, DAW, or MIDI file player, using the LK-160 simply as a tone module in real time.  With the proper computer software, it should be possible to turn off one of the song parts and play that part "along" on the keyboard - ala "music-minus-one", but the computer must be connected to the keyboard to do this.  The LK-160 does not allow access to internal memory for the storing of song data, as do the higher end LK units, for playback when not connected to a computer.  I don't think this is quite what you had in mind, but it would still be worth a try, as it greatly enhances the versatility and usefulness of the keyboard.  The "LK" series are "Fully Class Compliant", meaning that they use the generic drivers built-in to the Windows/MAC operating systems, so it would not be necessary to download and install any additional drivers.  Just connect a standard USB cable between the computer and the keyboard, bring up your MIDI software, and PLAY ! ! !   :)

For what I think you might need at this point, I am going to recommend VanBasco's Karoake Player, but do not let its name fool you.  It is an actual MIDI file player - NOT an audio karoake player.  It is available as a freeware download and is very simple to install and set up.  Even though it is freeware, it is a full featured program without any of the usual freeware "limitations".  I choose this one as it has the ability to mute individual instrument tracks for "music-minus-one" play.  The only drawback is that it will not just grab files ad-hoc on your hard drive to play.  You have to create a play-list for it, just like for an MP3 player.  I was originally put off by this, but now that I am used to it, I find it more convenient than ad-hoc file play.  It can be downloaded from:

http://vanbasco.com/

Should you be interested in going a little deeper at some point in the future and get into MIDI recording and editing, I would recommend Anvil Studio, which is a full featured freeware MIDI sequencer.  The freeware version will do some simple audio recording (two one minute tracks), but audio features are quite limited.  Anvil Studio can be downloaded from:

http://anvilstudio.com/

At this stage, you should avoid the "standard" recommendation of Audacity, as it is primarily an audio recording package with very limited MIDI capabilities, and MIDI capabilities are what you are looking for right now.

Good luck, and if you go with either of the above, I hope they enhance your enjoyment of the LK-160.