Product Defect - How to get help

If any casio people are reading this, can you please let me know who to contact for a product defect.

Each time I record with the song recorder, the piano inserts a "phantom" note after a few seconds.

It's always the same note (a very low bass).

I can show this to you.

I recorded 2 songs and saved them as midi files and attached them to this post.

I stopped playing as soon as I heard the deep "phantom" note which means you can hear it at the end of the file.

This note is not coming from me, I did not play it in either of the 2 sample files.

I happens every time I record a song.

Please let me know how to get the piano repaired. (i.e. email address, telephone number etc.)

We are in Germany.

David Stephens

RECSONG66.MID

RECSONG62.MID

Hi David. One of our users analysed your midi file and it shows you are overdubbing...  . ie you are recording on track 2 while track 1 plays.  That phantom note resides on track 1. You can see from this graphic where the bass note is recorded (top bar is track 1 with the bass note at 13sec... bottom track is the one you just recorded...

sq61cg.jpg

REMEDY:
Delete  tracks 1 and 2 as described on page E-18 of the manual (http://support.casio.com/en/manual/008/AP450_EN.pdf)  and that bass note will go away. 

The preceding pages show you how to specify what track to record on.

(thanks Brad for the MIDI analysis) 

• Like 3

Hi David. Other than referring to the manual, I  have no other information about the operation of the AP line. (I am an admin of this forum, not a Casio employee). Unless Jared or Mike has some insights, you may want contact your regions Casio rep if you need more help.. this link will get you in contact with them.  Good luck!  :) 

https://secure.casio-europe.com/de/support/frage/

I'll preface my post by echoing what Scott mentioned.  Other than referring to the manual, I  have no other information about the operation of the AP line because I do not own that model and I do not work for Casio.  If this does not help, then Jared might need to make a video for this procedure. 

I'll translate what the manual says in step by step outline.   

1)  Turn on the Song Recorder system and enter record standby mode.

• Press the SONG RECORDER button until it's lamp is flashing.

The SONG RECORDER lamp should now be flashing to indicate the system in is Record Standby mode.

2) Select the track (Track 1). 

• While holding the FUNCTION button down, press LEFT button.  Release the buttons.  

The L lamp is now flashing indicating that track 1 is selected. 

3) Enter delete mode.

• Press SONG RECORDER until it's lamp is lit continuously.

The L lamp will now be lit and the Song Recorder lamp will be lit continuously.  

4) Execute track delete.

• While holding the FUNCTION button down, press SONG RECORDER.    

Track 1 is now deleted and the song recorder has automatically re-entered playback standby mode.  The Song Recorder light should now be flashing to indicate that the system is now in record standby mode. 

• Like 1

Hi Scott and Brad. Just in case you think I'm either lazy or 2 bricks short of a load, there are several areas where the manual is wrong. Honest.

I try the manual before I post here. In fact I try and ty and try the manual before I post.

I've made a video showing how I am following the manual word for word and the piano is not doing what is written in the manual.

Please help.

David

Hi David,

To clarify, at 23 seconds in the video, the Song recorder lamp is flashing to indicate the recorder is in RECORD STANDBY mode.  The right lamp is lit continuously to indicate that playback of track 2 will occur while recording track 1.  To answer your question more directly, the flashing left lamp is the one selected.  This seems normal according to the manual. 

The last step of the video shows you pressing the Song Recorder button and then the system entered NORMAL mode indicated by the song recorder lamp going dark.  Press the Song Recorder button again so the lamp is lit continuously to enter PLAYBACK STANDBY mode.  This is the mode that is used to delete a track.   

Once that is done then hold the function key and press the song recorder button. 

Again, to clarify my position here, my info comes from reading the manual.  Perhaps Mike or Jared can verify what I have outlined here. 

David,

At the end of the last video you had track 2 selected.  The phantom note is on track 1.

To clarify, at 16 seconds in the last video was exactly where you needed to be....track 1 was selected there.  You could've just skipped to step 3 in the manual without performing step 2. 

In other words....redo the procedure in your last video instead selecting track 1 (the left button). 

Sorry David, I'm out of suggestions.   As I said before, I don't work for Casio,  I'm just a user like yourself with another Casio keyboard and can only go by what the manual says.  I have the PX-5s and am very happy with it.   I suggest you either return the product if it's within that window or contact your local Casio support for further assistance perhaps under warranty. 

Brad,  I think Jared is from Casio right?  I looked in the manual and did not find any telephone numbers or email address for warranty issues.

Any ideas?

Hi David: Jared works for the Australian Casio Distributor. You will want to use  this form to contact the  Casio Europe Germany division if you submitting a warranty issue:

https://secure.casio-europe.com/de/support/frage/?to=faq_40

Good luck!  :)

Hi David

I've now had a chance to sit in front of an AP450 to suss this out.

Step 3 in the manual where it says "Press the Song Recorder button until its lamp is lit" to be clear means "Press and HOLD the Song Recorder button until its lamp is lit (solid)"

Once you do that, the Song Recorder light will be solid, the track you have selected to delete will be flashing, and the other track light will be off.

Now while holding Function, press the Song Recorder button to delete the track.