Your First Casio Keyboard Was / Is ?

Scottym

This was my very first keyboard when I was around 8 (around 28 years ago), I think it was my older brother Kenneth and sister Avril who bought it, they are 9 and 11 years older than me. I think it was a couple of months before Christmas before I saw it and got to play with it. I loved playing with it, sampling conversations without them realising and making farting sounds behind peoples backs.  Rather than my sister buy me a Christmas present, she said I could have it as one. Prior to this, my dad when he was alive could play 5 different instruments and had purchased an organ back in the 70's which still resides in my loft to this day. I always tried to play it in my young years but the keys were just too huge to span them properly. Kenneth and Avril tried to teach me though and I did manage to learn a short one. Today my sister can play the piano and sight read music notation as well as my younger niece. I've never been very much inclined to read music notation. In high school, 1st / 2nd year.. teachers tried to force us to learn notation by threatening detention on us if we didn't do the homework. So I ended up hating the theory part and not taking it in 3rd and 4th year and since then I have carried on producing music using the same mythology as I did 28 years ago with the Casio SK1. :-) Unfortunately when I was around 14 I put 12 volts into the Casio SK1 using one of those risky variable power switch adaptors, and fried the components. With the sudden flicking lights and burning smell oozing from it's openings, I kinda knew my Casio was pretty much dead. My Yamaha DJX 1D was it's successor around 6 years later with it's sampling capabilities..    

My very first keyboard which was also a Casio was an MT-70 I picked up used for about $300 30 years ago.

Prices have dropped incredibly on musical keyboards and synths since those days.

I never sprang for the funky barcode reader available for it as an accessory.

post-14-0-28792000-1392918285.jpeg

post-14-0-28792000-1392918285_thumb.jpeg

Casio CZ-101, followed shortly by the CZ-3000, followed shortly thereafter with the CZ-1 complete with half dozen RA cartridges and custom larger cartridges that held banks of  64 sounds switchable with 2 tiny DIP switches (hey who called me a dipswitch!) all a load of fun. All gone now replaced with the XW-P1 and PX-350, formidable replacements.

My very first keyboard which was also a Casio was an MT-70 I picked up used for about $300 30 years ago.

Prices have dropped incredibly on musical keyboards and synths since those days.

They have indeed. I just last week picked up an MT70 for £5! Here it is in all its glory:

post-2103-0-80967300-1392843620.jpg

post-2103-0-63543500-1392843665.jpg

post-2103-0-80967300-1392843620_thumb.jp

post-2103-0-63543500-1392843665_thumb.jp

• Like 1

My first keyboard was a CZ-3000. I did buy it for its piano sound.  :lol:  :rolleyes:  I seem to think I had a hard case for it, too. I replaced it with a Korg SG-1D and an Ensoniq EPS-16+, both of which I had for many years. I gave the CZ-3000 to a friend's kid who was learning to play.

I just remembered that the first keyboard I ever really played on was a Casio as well. It belonged to the guy who lived upstairs in our dorm. He and my roommate both played guitar and jammed, and I'd join them on this little Casio. My roommate had taken some piano lessons so he showed me some chords I could play. That was the start of me playing keyboards.

(I had one or two "organs" as a kid growing up but I never took to those for whatever reason. They might have been cheesy.)

Here's a photo of another dorm resident playing the CZ-3000. He loves this photo. 

post-36-0-45111500-1392898920.jpg

post-36-0-45111500-1392898920_thumb.jpg

Yes I remember having a mt 40 and later a mt70 if I still recall these models well I was only 16 at that time..lol. Funny thing was I was learning to play the guitar I saw someone playing one and I got a hold of one fiddled with it for awhile but never got into it I guess as being a teen I was focused in the guitar at that time... :)

Casio DM-100 - late 80s. After playing it for a while in a true disco style I put it aside. Couple years later when I changed completely music styles it came back to life thanks to sampling abilities - it was even able to play samples in reverse (G1 cannot do it almost 30 years later ;-)

Here is a small sample what it was capable of...

Edit: you will not believe it, but the guy I was buying G1 from had Casio DM-100 in a pristine condition - does it mean I will have so much with G1 too ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAkaLZRoLaM

My very first keyboard was a yamaha e233. You see, I'm 67 and I always had an inkling to learn a piano. So, I'm a beginner!  Next I bought a yamaha e423 a year ago in March. It had more bells n whistles than the 233 but it was still lacking something. After more searching I picked up the Casio CTK6500 which I have now. Its crazy, I see young kids playing a keyboard with both hands and doing quite well.  Maybe its my age but I just can't play chords and melodies together. My brain can only give directions to one hand at a time not both, doing different things. I try to make use of the auto accompanyment and some tunes don't sound too too bad!  I just wish I could do better and get that satisfaction of playing something with meaning and not a garbled mess. I will be making lots of use with this forum! Tom

• Like 1

A co-worker gave me a Casio MT-45 last weekend.  I think it was dated 1982, quite vintage and was fun playing on it.

I am so happy for you - enjoy!  ;)

My very first keyboard was a yamaha e233. You see, I'm 67 and I always had an inkling to learn a piano. So, I'm a beginner!  Next I bought a yamaha e423 a year ago in March. It had more bells n whistles than the 233 but it was still lacking something. After more searching I picked up the Casio CTK6500 which I have now. Its crazy, I see young kids playing a keyboard with both hands and doing quite well.  Maybe its my age but I just can't play chords and melodies together. My brain can only give directions to one hand at a time not both, doing different things. I try to make use of the auto accompanyment and some tunes don't sound too too bad!  I just wish I could do better and get that satisfaction of playing something with meaning and not a garbled mess. I will be making lots of use with this forum! Tom

Its crazy, I see young kids playing a keyboard with both hands and doing quite well.  Maybe its my age but I just can't play chords and melodies together. My brain can only give directions to one hand at a time not both, doing different things. I try to make use of the auto accompanyment and some tunes don't sound too too bad!  I just wish I could do better and get that satisfaction of playing something with meaning and not a garbled mess. I will be making lots of use with this forum! Tom

Welcome Tom!

What you're talking about takes time and practice. You start out simply and slowly and build from there. It doesn't happen overnight, far from it. But if you keep at it, one day, you'll think it did!

I was self though for several years although I could play something I never knew what it was for me to play on the keyboard.

Had no knowledge of chords or chord progression before the internet I've watched videos for hand position after that Ive watched 

pop musician how they played from music video's a few years back I did it from youtube for petesake :)) (very helpful in a way). 

That was an on and off thing for years. Fed up with that last year October I started taking piano lesson 

it was hard in the beginning hand position reading scores and such I'm learning from a book "Alfreds piano methods basic for adult beginners", 

first thing I did was looking at half way the book and last pages it was very intimidating I though no  way I could learn that 

I'm five months further the pages that intimidated me where easy to read paging back I think about myself like wow did I progress that much. 

The thing is I did not learn piano at first because I start to take lesson with a teacher I learned because I progressed the book 

and the teacher was there for pointers and theory about scales stuff that gradually become a topic by each page progression 

I still have to practice allot to become familiar with reading notes scores and such but everyone can learn piano age does not

matter at all once you've learned the basic both hands can do lots of music.  

Not to endorse the book but try out some you would be surprise how far you can get with a bit of practice I am.

• Like 1