Video Files on Forum ×

Transpose/split

Scorpio

Hi all! new here! may become a Casio XWP1 owner soon, and have a couple of questions:

1.Can one split the keyboard with two sounds,- for example, strings on left hand and, vibraphone on right hand?

2. is it then possible to transpose ONLY the left split, ONE OCTAVE up?

thank´s in advance, Levi

(jazzplayer oldschool)

Hi all! new here! may become a Casio XWP1 owner soon, and have a couple of questions:

1.Can one split the keyboard with two sounds,- for example, strings on left hand and, vibraphone on right hand?

2. is it then possible to transpose ONLY the left split, ONE OCTAVE up?

thank´s in advance, Levi

(jazzplayer oldschool)

Hi Levi and welcome to the forums. No problem doing what you want.. Very easy to set up performances like this.. and if you need help we are here for you!  :)

• Like 1

thanks for answer! i am an "oldschool" jazzmusician getting into synth´s  :)  maybe will get a XWP1 next week, this function is not mentioned in the manual i downloaded, or maybe it is refered to as the "keyrange" function?, anyway, this function is relevant for me in buying the P1 or not, "i´ll be back" for sure... ;)  thx again! Levi in Sweden

Yes it has to do with keyrange... The full explanation of the performance mode is a little further in the book... E-62.. you can actually set 4 tones split and/or layered across the keyboard in different zones. It's a very flexible board - good one to have if you are just getting synths.. will give you a little taste of everything: performace synths, sound design, sequencing, drums. You will love it!

http://support.casio.com/pdf/008/Web_XWP1-E-1B.pdf

• Like 1

thank´s for great help! - this was importante for me to know! now only sit with fingers crossed for a week and wait  :P 

i do have some more though..?  i saw a guy from Casio UK demo it on Yoytube (grayhaired as me.. :D ) and at the very end he showed something that looked similar to a arranger/accompaniment keyboard-function? he had full accomps with left hand, and then played a solo with his right! what´s that..?..

thank´s for great help! - this was importante for me to know! now only sit with fingers crossed for a week and wait  :P 

i do have some more though..?  i saw a guy from Casio UK demo it on Yoytube (grayhaired as me.. :D ) and at the very end he showed something that looked similar to a arranger/accompaniment keyboard-function? he had full accomps with left hand, and then played a solo with his right! what´s that..?..

That is the pattern/arpeggiator function. There are a lot of pre-programmed arrangements in the XW-P1 but the real fun is making your own. If you keep looking on YouTube you will find more of this.. Also, if you're on Facebook we have a group for the XWs.. (link is in my sig).

• Like 1

hrumph...some more: can i transfer a Midifile-bass-track to the P1,and then use it, and play along with it?(backingtrack)

can wave audio files also be used as backingtracks?

dont have the p1 yet, but want to be prepared... :)  (if all goes as planned it should arrive next Sunday)

I believe it is possible with the Data Editor to edit a MIDI snippet and convert it and load it into the Step Sequencer but be forewarned you are limited to Sixteen Steps in all or 4 Barres at 4/4 time.

Not 100% sure on this but I'm certain someone will correct me if I'm wrong.  The internet is funny that way :D :D :D

Gary ;)

I believe you can screw around with the tempos and use 1/32 or 1/64 notes in the step sequencers so that's still a sequence of of up to 256 notes.

Also, again you can use the chain function to string different step sequences together with up to 99 sequences.

Considering most bass lines and drum beats tend to repeat over and over for a few barres it would take a bit of work but you could still import a workable song with a few choice snippets.

Again don't quote me on this stuff.  Others here have more experience with this stuff than I have.

Gary ;)

ok! i think i sloowwly am beginning to understand  :D  i just watched a videoclip with Mike Martin telling that it is possible to put both Midi and Wavefiles on the SDcard and then use as backingtracks, so thank´s for your input, and i will just have to experiment when i get the P1  :)  txh, Levi

There is again a song playing mode on the XW's but I'm not certain if you are able to play along on the keyboard while a song plays.

It doesn't really have a song sequencer like a typical workstation but it can play a MIDI songfile from the SD card.

It also has a 16 step rhythm sequencer which is what I was referring to earlier.

I'm sorry I can't be clearer on any of this because I do all my work using computer based sequencers instead of on the XW.

Worst case scenario you could always hook up to a PC via a USB cable and accomplish what you are trying to do from there.

Gary

I just double checked on my XW.  It turns out that you can play along while the song player is operating.

I was unsure because it's been a long time since I loaded up a song via the card method.

So yes, if you have a MIDI file holding a bass track and/or drums you could play along while it plays but again I'm not certain if you could select individual tracks for play.  I think that's beyond the XW's capabilities.

It really is more of a song player function than a proper sequencer.

Gary

wow! that was a lot of useful info  :)  thankyou very much! i am beginning to understand a bit of P1,s structure, i think the best thing to do, is building up ones own sequences with bass,drum,piano,etc. for a whole performance, and the play&record!  :D though the Midi and Wave capabilities also are very interesting to create tracks/backingtracks, thanks a lot!  - Levi 

I have found the best way to use backing tracks with the XW is to put the tracks onto a MP3 player and run the MP3 to the audio in of the XW. This way you don't need to rely on the MIDI sounds exclusively and you don't need to worry about loading in from the SD every song.  I find using an iPad mini IDEAL for this as it sits perfectly on the rubber pad and the screen is large to control your playback app.

To elaborate a little more: I actually keep two "play lists" of each set. One with backing tracks, and one with the FULL track.. This way is (God forbid) something happens to my keyboard, I can fake it if need be. The show must go on!!! This saved my butt more than once when doing live theatre (back then it was cassette tapes for back up!). 

Anyway, there are a number of ways to pull of backing tracks - I have tried them all, but this method works best for me and provides a nice insurance policy if things go to pot.

• Like 1