Video Files on Forum ×

MIDI Questions - DSP and MIDI Controller numbers

David Loving

In reading the PX330 MIDI Implementation book, I notice DSP for Organs:" slow, fast, brake" .  http://support.casio.com/en/manual/008/PX330_midi_EN.pdf , see page 44  -  how do I program in  DSPs of "slow, fast and brake" for organ patches  and what switch can control the leslie DSP on the PX330 panel?  It seems like if Casio goes to the trouble to mention 'fast, brake, and slow" in the MIDI manual, there ought to be a way to use it.  I would like a leslie simulation for each organ patch.  That's the one thing this board needs to make the organ patches usable.  I like the organ sounds, I just need a Leslie switch.  It may be that each organ patch has slow, fast, OR break programed in as an unchangeable effect. One would think a sim could be in operation -like on an XW-P1- where you could switch between slow and fast.  Can this be done or is it impossible?   I can't use a neo ventilator because the slow or fast speeds in the stock tones can't be taken out for a clean tone.  If one of the tones is on "break"  maybe the vent would work on that tone.  I had cross posted this over on the keyboard forum.  Anybody know?

Hello David, if you've read a few of my posts, you can see I've been trying to get to grips with this too. Controller #1 is standard for the mod wheel according to the chart by the MMA here:

http://www.midi.org/techspecs/midimessages.php

Pitch bend might be #11 (expression) but I'm not sure if Casio uses it for pitch bend. I have contacted Casio tech support by email trying to get info about what exactly the DSP CC numbers actually do, but haven't gotten any response. The MMA chart lists numbers 16-19 and 80-83 as general purpose controllers but i think this is where the Leslie parameters must be. I have managed to squeeze more reverb and chorus depth and even panning by using an external controller to access those CC numbers, but I've had no success in accessing and altering anything else yet including the Leslie settings which I'd also like to be able to do.  I also requested in an email to Casio support that they create some kind of editor for the PX 330, 350 etc. similar to the PX5s editor so we could do some programming as you and I are trying to do. I  even tried connecting the PX-350 to the PX5s editor to see if anything would happen and no luck there either although sequencing software sees the PX and is usable.

Not sure but I think each 'tone' must have it's effects settings programmed individually and locked in as part of the tone-when i record multi-track arrangements, it sounds like each tone retains its own DSP settings, even though I can't change anything externally.  This would be really nice, as if there is separate DSP for each track. I could be wrong about that, still experimenting. and maybe I'm off-base in this post as I don't know if the PX-330 has a song recorder function like the PX-350 so disregard this if it doesn't.  I also purchased a Korg Nanokontrol to see if I can program that, connect it to the PX and make some alterations to the DSP settings, individual track levels, panning etc directly into the PX  but no luck so far. Wish i could be more helpful, but unless Casio sends me more tech details, I'm playing trial and error. If I find out anything more, I'll post it.

Thanks for the answer.   I edited my question while you sent your information.  I think the effect - slow - fast - or brake, probably is part of the patch, which as I was told, cannot be edited out on a PX330.  There may not be a way to switch.  The MIDI Manual is http://support.casio.com/en/manual/008/PX330_midi_EN.pdf  and the reference is at page 44.  It has the midi charts, too.Maybe one of the organ patches is on brake and I can use a Neo Ventilator on it.   I could not figure out how to have the KorgNano plug into the board, so I gave up on that.  It has a small plug into the Korg to a regular flat USB plug to insert into a computer's usb input slot.

I purchased a small USB adapter that enabled me to connect the nanokontrol directly to the PX (mini-usb to flat female standard USB) as an experiment, but still have had no luck.  Most people onboard here seem happy with Neoventilator, I was just hoping to be able to control and edit the PX itself. I thought if I could change DSP settings with CC, I could store these in registrations,  I'm probably expecting too much. Alot of switching around even if I can get it all too work, although being able to change Leslie settings and other DSP settings with a controller would be at least an improvement.  Can't afford a PX5s in addition just for these functions and the PX-350 is a real sweet instrument as it is.  Will keep trying until I come up with something. 

I decided to accept my PX330 as it is.  I really like it.  I hooked up a Neo Ventilator to it, and it's usable, just barely.  It's easier to just use  the one patch that has fast leslie programed into it.  I'm going to just take the Macbook Pro and the KorgNano along and use the Native Instruments Tonewheel B3.  Were I to buy another Privia, I'd get a PX350.  I like the speakers.  The $50.00 KorgNano does all the usb stuff I'd get the PX5 for.  I enjoyed our discussion!

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks David. Just love to squeeze stuff to see if I can make it work! I'm pretty amazed at the PX's capabilities as is, guess I'm trying too hard to make it do something it wasn't designed for. And the Korg Nano is a pretty nice piece of work. If I make any "stunning" discoveries I will post them here!