Video Files on Forum ×

Linking LFO to Filter Cut-Off

Chas

I'm having a good bit of fun experimenting with the G1's solo synth mode and experimenting with all the settings to see how to change the sound. However, I can't seem to find out how to link the LFO(s) to the filter. A lot of older analogue synths had this function whereby you could link the LFO to the filter cut-off to get the classic filter sweep effect, or depending on the LFO waveform and speed, all sorts of strange effects using the filter.

How do you link the LFO to the filter cut-off? Or link the LFO's to various parameters, especially the filter functions?

To link either, or both, of the two LFOs to the total filter (Block 7), simply change the LFO1 Depth or LFO2 Depth (page E-27 of the manual) to a non zero number; plus change the depth of LFO output (page E-28) to be greater than zero. 

Alternatively, you can create an envelope (page E-27) to sweep the filter with each key press, according to the levels and timings you specify.

I think the above only affects the cutoff, not the resonance.

Similar effects can be obtained using the filters within each tone generation block 1-6 (page E-25), but they are usually not as dramatic as the total filter because their cutoff is not as steep and they are non-resonant.

• Like 1

Thanks so much Brad and Brett!

I'm currently trying Brad's suggestion first, running a simple drum track with the step sequencer and playing a bass line with the arpeggio, and having the filter automatically sweep the cut-off. It's sounding great! My only criticism is that though the LFO goes up to quite a fast rate, the slowest setting ("1") isn't as slow as it could be to give a very long sweep. Ah well, can't have everything.

I'll also be looking at trying Brett's suggestion for creating an envelope triggered by each key press, as one sound I'd like to recreate is the 'miaowing' type sound as heard on the opening synth line of the Human League's "Love Action". That should certainly be possible with the XW's filter envelopes.

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate the fountain of knowledge available here  :)