loading drum kits from samples

Guest gw_extreme

Guest gw_extreme

Hi. I just got the gw and love it so far.. still getting used to it, but its great value...

i am having trouble with loading drum kits from samples. perhaps someone has some thoughts...

I can load a constant sample loop, but is it possible to load a sampled drug kit and play that kit like I would a standard pcm drum kit...with each key controlling a snare, kick, hi hat, etc.

also, on another note.. with a pcm drum kit, can I change the individual pitch of the kick, or snare drum... for instance..

thanks

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Carl Winslow

U can control your drum kit and add dsP effects and edit the parameters a bit also. Check your mixer when you select your drum for the channel. As far as individual tweaking of each key that doesn't seem to be available. There's a way to add sound from ext channels but it only does it on synth sounds thru Osc

thanks. I think you can control a few elements of a drum sound within a kit, like reverb, volume.. but i was hoping to significantly change the pitch of a kick, for instance...maybe the programmers will add the feature in a future release..

also, still no luck in loading a sample drum kit and getting each key to play a separate sound...

Carl,

It is definitely possible to map out drum kits with user samples. I'm not in front of a XW-G1 at the moment but the process is something like this:

Start with a preset drum kit such as P400 (Standard Kit), press EDIT.

The first selection is Instrument Edit, select that by pressing ENTER

Next, play the keyboard you'll see the number numbers flash on the top of the screen. Once you've chosen the key you want to change, press ENTER again and it takes you to the next screen where you can choose your sample.

Yea I'm aware of that but I thought he was tryna upload his own sounds that he sampled from the sampler and map it to each key. Forgive me but once again I'm going off of the vague manual and less then supportive customer service to put it nicely... You seem to be the only one knowledgable about the machine...

Yea I'm aware of that but I thought he was tryna upload his own sounds that he sampled from the sampler and map it to each key. Forgive me but once again I'm going off of the vague manual and less then supportive customer service to put it nicely... You seem to be the only one knowledgable about the machine...

The manual seems to focus more on features than workflow. I agree with you in that it is hard to figure out how to put the pieces together. I think this board will help people in the future. We talked about a series of videos in another thread, and it would be great to get more info out there. It's probably up to the members here to document our discoveries, which will also draw new members to the site so that they can also contribute. This seems like something most people would want to do with their keyboard.

Maybe Mike could take some of the questions and post answers as part of a FAQ section for this site. A "here's how you do this" forum.

Yes... the goal is to make my own drum kit with my own sampled sounds.

Will try to do what Mike said when i get home.. thanks for the input Mike and for creating this forum. you are an asset to casio for sure.

needless to say.. this casio is amazing for the price, but its a bit tricky to figure out all the capabilities.

Carl,

It is definitely possible to map out drum kits with user samples. I'm not in front of a XW-G1 at the moment but the process is something like this:

Start with a preset drum kit such as P400 (Standard Kit), press EDIT.

The first selection is Instrument Edit, select that by pressing ENTER

Next, play the keyboard you'll see the number numbers flash on the top of the screen. Once you've chosen the key you want to change, press ENTER again and it takes you to the next screen where you can choose your sample.

Mike was right. Loaded a few of my own sampled drum sounds in a kit.... Awesome

• 5 months later...