P1-G1-Kaossilator Pro Plus

Zergmazter

I learned to control my Kaossilator from my G1's multi function keys using MIDI and its amazing. I need to buy 1 more MIDI cable so i was wondering if my prediction will actually come true.

-Internal Clock-

My P1 is the master sharing its Internal clock with my G1. Now lets say i get that other MIDI cable, is it possible to MIDI my Kaossilator from my G1 giving it its internal clock being shared from my P1? I tried it with my G1 being the master and giving its Int Clock to my Kaossilater and it works, but what im trying to find out is if i can MIDI 3 devices sharing the same INT-CLOCK from the same source like this:

P1-MIDI-G1-MIDI-KAOSSILATOR, P1 being the master clock. Has anyone attempted this set up? I dont know if this is what people refer to as Daisy chain...  :o

• Like 1

MIDI is in fact a daisy chain like a token ring ethernet network.  In sequence you connect the individual instruments and sequencers from IN to OUT until you complete the loop.

Individual instruments in the chain are identified by the selected channel(s) of operation for each one.

So yes, if you configure the channels properly, the MASTER MIDI CLOCK will be shared by all the hardware on the loop.

Gary

I have a similar set up with my P1, G1, Kaossilator Pro+ and KP3+.  This issue that you may start to run into as you do this is "midi lag".  If you can find a midi router like a Casio TB-1 or a Yamaha MJC8 (other brands too) this will prevent this from happening.  

Yamaha no longer makes the MJC8 but I snagged  one on eBay for next to nothing.  Yamaha also made another neat item called a MEP4 that allows you to change an incoming midi code to a different code.  For example a program change can be converted to a aftertouch code.  I'm on the hunt for one right now, so good luck finding one.

• Like 1

Also, just as FYI, if you're using a computer you can save the price of a MIDI router and use the USB connections if the hardware has them and/or MIDI-USB interfaces and use your computer as a patch bay and software control MIDI router.  That's what I do with Linux and you can find free MIDI routing software easily available for download with a simple Google Search.

Truth be told, MIDI Routers and Daisy Chaining are pretty old skool these days.  ;)

Gary

• Like 1

Lol thx for the tips. Truth is i spent most of my life terrified of MIDI cuz i couldnt make it work in the past lol. I just tried to do everything by hand with 2 keyboards for live performances which greatly limited cuz they werent MIDIed and i only got 2 hands. When im done with all this its gonna be an all new me  B)

Also, just as FYI, if you're using a computer you can save the price of a MIDI router and use the USB connections if the hardware has them and/or MIDI-USB interfaces and use your computer as a patch bay and software control MIDI router.  That's what I do with Linux and you can find free MIDI routing software easily available for download with a simple Google Search.

Truth be told, MIDI Routers and Daisy Chaining are pretty old skool these days.  ;)

Gary

Agreed, but for me I'm also running some pre-USB gear that is just midi, such as my Yamaha TX81Z, Akai S3000XL and a Roland JV2080.

I have the midisport uno and no drivers for Mavericks OS  I contacted M-Audio and they have no intention of updating the drivers either.

I did some double checking.

The MIDIsport Uno does not state class compliancy so I can't say if it's workable without drivers or not, but the MIDIsport line (I own a 1x1) including the 4x4 are listed as class compliant.  I can vouch for the fact that the 1x1 DOES indeed work on my Linux system so you might want to consider buying a 4x4.

Gary