Video Files on Forum ×

Any old Genesis fans?

Not a big fan of Genesis.  Too "corporate" a band.  I preferred Gentle Giant, ELP, PFM, Yes, Kraftwerk, Passport and a lot of progressive Italian bands from the 70's.

Then again when Peter Gabriel left Genesis, THEN he started to shine.  I've loved just about everything he's done since.

Gary

• Like 1

Yes pretty much created the genre and style.  Genesis came along later as a corporate "knock-off" pretty much copying their style.

At least IMHO...

I have listened to a lot of Yes over the decades. I have listened to a lot of Genesis over the decades. I never ONCE thought that Genesis was in any way copying Yes.

Yes pretty much created the genre and style.  Genesis came along later as a corporate "knock-off" pretty much copying their style.

At least IMHO...

Gary

Well, you are entitled to your opinion, but I don't think that claim is supported by reality. They are not even slightly stylistically similar, musically or in lyrical/thematic content. I like them both, in fact Steve Howe is one of my all time favorite guitar players. I'd never even thought of comparing the two bands before, they are just so different.

Are there any specific Genesis songs that sound like a "knock-off" of a certain Yes song?

The way I saw it, being a teen at the time, first Yes appeared on the underground radio stations with songs like Roundabout and Close to the Edge, then Genesis came on the scene a couple of years later with Selling England by the Pound, manufactured by the record companies and played to death on commercial radio.  Honestly, even to this day I cannot tolerate listening to that song.

Also Rick Wakeman's keyboarding in those days absolutely blew away anything Gabriel was capable of at the time.

Again this is only my opinion.  YMMV.

Gary ;)

Also Rick Wakeman's keyboarding in those days absolutely blew away anything Gabriel was capable of at the time.

Again this is only my opinion. YMMV.

Gary ;)

Since Peter Gabriel only did vocals and occasionally flute, I must agree that Wakeman is better at the keyboarding.

I really don't understand why you insist that Genesis was "corporate" and "manufactured by the record companies"- they were like most progressive bands of the era ( oh, except for Yes, with their radio hit of the shortened version of "Roundabout" ) - hardly anyone listened to them and they only got played on the college stations.

Like I said, I wasn't a fan of Genesis and don't have any in my collection.  Who did their keyboards?  Compared to Wakeman it was crap.

EDIT >>> Never mind.  Just looked it up.  Tony Banks played their keyboards.

Mediocre compared to Keith Emerson, Rick Wakeman or Derek Schullman.

Sorry.  Just chiming in with my humble opinion on what I thought was good in the old prog rock 70's.  Perhaps it would have been simpler if I kept my mouth shut, but the joy of music is that every opinion is a valid one.

Let's agree to disagree and still be friends, yes?

;)

Gary

• Like 1

Wow, good thing nobody asked about the "1910 Fruitgum Company".  Or "Moby Grape". :P Big fan of Peter Gabriel who has done some very interesting keyboard production work-sampling, textures, not as a soloist but more as a "sound engineer". As far as Banks-wasn't he more of a "hook" creator-played thematically whereas Emerson or Wakeman who were obviously going for the virtuosity. I still like "3 Sides Live". Afte that, I think Collins went for the Disney production values, guess he liked the big money.

There's a great Yes DVD, think its on Netflix- Songs from Tsongas 35th Anniversary. Howe's playing is just spell binding- I can't even express how masterful it is, and Anderson's singing is really strong, even after all these years. Wakemen? He was there too, they show him a few times, but it's like he's almost an afterthought. Obviously he was an important component to their overall sound, but I've never felt he was as essential to the band as Howe, Anderson or Squire. I think most people remember him as a "virtuoso" cause he wore the cape and had a whole bunch of keyboards around him in that concert film in the 70's.

I'd suggest anyone who isn't impressed by Banks' playing might need a refresher. "Firth of Fifth", the solo on "In the Cage", the organ solo near the end of "Supper's Ready"- just 3 off the top of my head...

So, without using Google- who WAS the keyboard player for "Moby Grape" or "1910 Fruitgum Company"??

That's probably why they aren't the topic of this thread!

At the risk of inflaming yet someone else's ire, I also have to put in a word for Renaissance's John Tout.  Abso-F***ing-Lutely one of the greatest keyboard players of this or any other age. ;)

Tune in around 37:00 when they really start to warm up. ;)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...