Video Files on Forum ×

No midi out on channels 7 upwards.

Micky B

I've linked my XW-P1 via 5pin midi cable to a Yamaha RM1x. When I play the keyboard on the XW in the mixer mode, I get midi info arriving at the RM1x, but only for channels 1 to 6. Channels 7 to 16 dont seem to be outputting any midi data. the RM1X has a midi receive light to verify this. Anyone know what I might need to do, or is midi data not transmitted from the XW on channels 7 to 16? 

Thanks.

Micky

When you use the XW-P1 as you are trying to, you are actually playing a 16-part "Performance", and even though you may have already set up the XW-P1's MIDI hardware, you still need to set up the "Performance" by telling it which "part" to transmit/receive on which MIDI channel.  Usually this is set up on a one-for-one basis (Part 1 on Channel 1; Part 2 on Channel 2; etc), at least to start, but there is no requirement for that.  You can mix and match them any way you like.  That is why they give you these options.  You would need to do this for each new performance that you create, and can then save them as custom set ups.  It sounds to me like you are currently trying to use a performance that has been set up only for parts one through six.  See Pages 62 through 66 of the XW-P1's owner's manual for setting up your Performance.  Also, if the RM1x has a similar set up, make sure it is set up accordingly, as well.

Good luck !

• Like 1

Many thanks for your answer.....from what you said, I've used a Preset Performance, changed it so it only has I zone, which then covers the whole keyrange, and then change the midi output channel by going into Performance edit / Midi Edit / External out channel, and changing the channel there. It's working, but it would be nice to find a more elegant and more easily accessable way to do it, maybe fron the top level of a performance.

By default MIDI output is turned off for parts 8 to 16, which are normally played by the step sequencer.  (FWIW, the MIDI outputs of parts 5, 6 and 7 are also likely turned off by default but since there is no way to play these particular parts from the XW itself I don't see the point of controlling whether or not they output MIDI.)  To turn on MIDI output for a part you simply go into the MIDI editor from the Performance edit menu and turn on "MIDI Out" and/or "USB Out" (if you want to output the MIDI data on USB) for that part.  Your MIDI settings will be stored in the current performance.  This seems straightforward enough to me. 

Mick

Along with AlenK's comments, most of the other 16-part keyboards (Roland, Yamaha, etc) have their power up performance default to all parts "ON" with a one-for-one MIDI channelization, so if that is what you are used to, you are probably a bit spoiled like the rest of us.  The XW's take a little more specialized (flexible ?) approach to MIDI, so that requires a little more thought in the set up, but once you know its rules, you get used to it pretty quick.

Good luck !

Sorry Alen !  I should have been a little more "XW" specific/accurate with my original reply to Mick !  Just signs of too many years of Roland/Yamaha thinking !   :wacko: