Video Files on Forum ×

"Blank Inst" when saving files using the editor

jaspeter

I have had this problem crop up before, but it really reared its ugly head this morning.  I decided for some upcoming gigs that I need to split the percussion and tones into right and left channels so they can feed two different mixer channels independently.  Thinking it would save time, I started loading the files one-by-one into the data editor, panning drums hard right and tones hard left and setting the reverb return to zero.  After saving the file to disk (not to the PX-5S), I would load another one and do the same with it.

Now, when I go back and drag the files I saved into the PX-5S from the editor, the percussion all comes up as "Blank Inst", even though I had something saved there before and it worked fine.  They were all custom percussion settings/files.  If I hit any of the keys assigned to percussion on the keyboard, I get no percussion sounds, but I do get a horrible noisy electronic thumping that won't go away unless I turn off the PX-5S.

If I transfer the files across as soon as I make the changes, this doesn't happen.  Unfortunately, this didn't dawn on me until I had spent almost an hour on making the adjustments to the stage settings.  So the temporary answer is, "Drag the files across as soon as you make changes."  I believe the permanent answer is something in the programming of the editor or the PX-5S, though.

UPDATE:  I hadn't noticed this before, but it also set my tones 2 & 3 to GrPnoConcert in the Mixer screen.  If I tried to re-select the tone it was originally assigned to, it wouldn't change.  If I selected a different tone, then went back and re-selected the original assigned tone, it worked.  All my FX settings remained intact.