Video Files on Forum ×

The Nona-layer (9! layers)

Listening to Patrick Arend's hex layers got me thinking about how to implement multiple layers on the G1 and I've come up with a method of using the 9 parts of the step sequencer to create what I'm calling the nona-layer. "Nona" can mean nine or none, depending on your point of view. I'm posting this in the general discussion, rather than the G1 specific area, because it may be of some amusement to P1 owners as well. P1 owners will probably find it easier to get a 9 tone sound by using performance mode with a hex layer in zone 1.

The basic idea is to tie all 16 steps of each step sequencer track into one continuous note. Then use the mixer to assign any PCM tone to each of the 9 parts, including the drum and bass parts. The mixer and sliders can also be used to mix in the volumes, pans, etc. of each part to create the overall nona-layer tone. Keyshift with realtime shift timing can be enabled for each part to create a small mini playing area in the bottom octave of the keyboard. G1 owners are able sample the nona-layer, loop it, and use it across the entire keyboard. (Four sampled nona-layers in performance mode gives a potential 36 layer sound! Then there's overdubbing.)

Here are the basic steps for creating the nona-layer:

1. Select an empty step sequence.

2. On track 1/part 8 (Drm1), tie steps 2 – 16 to step 1.

3. In track parameters for track 1, set step size to maximum, 1/4 notes, and note length to 100%.

4. In track parameters for track 1, enable keyshift in realtime on track 1

5. Copy part 8 to parts 9-15 using the copy menu. This is the quickest way of repeating steps 2 to 4 on the other tracks.

6. Set up part 16 (chord track) similarly. Part 16 can't simply be copied from part 8 so you have to do it manually.

7. Use the mixer to assign the desired PCM tones to each part.

8. Set tempo to 30, the minimum value. This is strictly not necessary, but ensures that the nona-layer will play as long as possible before the step sequence restarts.

9. Press Start and listen to your tone.

10. Use the mixer and the sliders to mix in the desired levels of each individual part. This is the interesting bit.

Limitations

• Can only play keys C2-B2.

• Apart from using the sampler, I can't think of a way to access multiple octaves in the mini left hand keyshift keyboard. I tried different step sequencer patterns with the note of each track shifted an octave, but couldn't get the patterns to change quickly enough in real time. The G1's multifunction keyboard didn't seem to help either.

• Slight blip each time the sequence restarts.

Differences from hex layer

• Three more layers!

• Accesses PCM tones rather than PCM waves. G1 owners are able to extract solo synth and PCM waves via sampling.

• Does not have velocity switching.

If you discover a way of improving this set up, please let us know.

I've posted a demo nona-layer in the G1 downloads section.

Enjoy!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Very clever. But isn't being monophonic another way "nona-layer" is different than Hex Layer?

Also, your track numbering is a bit confusing. If Track 1 of the sequencer is Drm1 (which is correct) then tracks 14, 15 and 16 don't exist (there are only 13 tracks in total) and tracks 10, 11, 12 and 13 are control tracks that don't play a sound.  It looks like your description is confusing tracks with parts. Track 1 plays part 8, track 2 plays part 9 etc up to track 9, which plays part 16.  (Casio also uses the word "channels" to speak of "parts" but I wish they had not because it is too easy to confuse this with MIDI channels - they don't have to be numerically the same.)

This is very nice and complex but doable did something similar but never panned it out like this since its within the step sequence makes it utterly mad cause what you can do with every setting in step sequence in combination with performance creates other possibilities if programmed right can make for interesting pad sounds.

You're right Alen, my usage of "tracks" and "parts" was confusing. I've re-edited my original post to hopefully make it clearer. "Part" is probably the best word because they are what you select with the +/- Part buttons, buttons 9 in the manuals.

And you're also right about the nona-layer being monophonic. It can't be used to play chords on the keyshift keyboard, although you could set up chords across the layers. Another limitation is that, even monophonically, the same key pressed twice doesn't register. Perhaps it is more of a sonic scratch pad with which to experiment with different tonal mixtures than a useful instrument in its own right.