Phrase sequencer

Jokeyman123

Just when I thought I knew what I was doing-was reviewing Mike's video tutorials to "bone up" and this may be old news here but in case no-one noticed, using a performance with up to 4 separate parts I can be record live to the phrase sequencer, and played of course over the sequencer. I didn't even realize, thought the phrase sequencer was limited to one sound, my mistake. Since a phrase can record quite a few note events, an entire multi-part composition can be created just using the phrase sequencer, and then you can add a multi-part step sequencer in sync. This is wild stuff! Man I am glad i got my XW back, woo-hoo!

• Like 3

Thanks SmoovJazzy55-after having my XW out of commission and returning to it-it's a fresh revelation as to how amazing the XW is, and I've played keys as far back as the Wurlitzer tine/Fender Rhodes pianos, Moogs, CZs, samplers, several modern workstations and this is still the most unique instrument I've owned. Casio took the best keyboard features from the past 25-30 years and put it in one place. The phrase sequencer alone now that I realize what it can do with a performance-opens it up in a totally different way-and on top of the sequencer and being able to play live at the same time-it's mind boggling. Best of all-I met Mike Martin at Casio when I went to pick up my XW...and got a Privia t-shirt (oh man I need to lose some weight!) Made my day, He is a true gentleman and talented pro, what a treat to meet the mastermind behind all these videos!

• Like 4

Hi Jokeyman123, Glad you got your xw  back. Plus you got to meet Mike Martin. I have never met him in person,but I kind of feel like I have through watching his many xw, and px-5s video's.

Glad you didn't give up on your xw, you have showed that you are a very patient person.

Thanks Patrick. Shoulda gotten his autograph! And the XW was definitely worth the wait. Just for edumificanation (I made that up), they did have to replace the motherboard with the monolithic chip epoxy-sealed on it. I think understandably they are trying to prevent others from stealing their design which would be possible without this type of board cemented shut. Hopefully i won't quack my XW again although I'll still upgrade firmware if I'm sure it's safe. And it would still be nice to have some kind of reset function on the XWs although it might not be technically possible depending on the software routines embedded in the cpu. I have run this by Casio tech support. Doesn't hurt to ask.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've been digging into the phrase sequencer..Amazing feature and theres some really tasty and well known phrases in the pre sets..Ie Sweet Dreams/ Eurthymics .

We play some real eighties synth style stuff in my band and as we know a lot of that stuff is so multi tracked and layered, but the phrase sequencer has come in real handy for repetitive synth riffs, which as enabled me to play a layer over the top.

I wouldn't mind some additional Phrase set for any other kind of music styles. I'm not so familiar with all style's available out there but been using them for a while now it changes how my stuff sound. But I do wonder how you would add new phrases into the XW I'm not a key perfect musician to do it myself.

The label for phrases saved to the XW-P1 which can also be saved to the SD card are called "ZPH" files. I haven't checked our downloads section to see if others here have uploaded their own phrases-A phrase can be any length, you could play an entire composition with one tone and save it as a phrase. The manual description (page E-48) seems complicated, but basically all you have to do is push the "record" button in the phrase sequencer section of the XW-then play whatever you want and it will be recorded-remember to select the "tone" you want to use first-the phrase sequencer can only record one "tone" per phrase. Also remember to push the "write" button-select a blank user memory slot and you're done. The other options make recording a phrase seem complicated-such as turning the metronome on and off, etc. but once the record button is lit red and you've picked your tone play away and press stop, your phrase is there. Even if you have no playing skills-you could create some pretty interesting phrases of your own just hitting keys! I know alot of serious compositions that don't sound much different than that!

• 2 years later...

Hi everybody, I just joined this Casio music forum. My doubt is: in Performance Mode, how can I assign for a phrase sequence a tone other than that defined for the zone part 1? For example, how can I play a phrase using the tone assigned to zone parts 2, 3 or 4?

Fernando, from Brazil

You need to enable the phrase in the zone you want playing it (or zones - you can enable it in more than one) and disable it in the zones you don't want playing it. If you have an XW-P1 see pages E-62, E-64 and E-65 of the User's Guide. For the G1 see pages E-72 to E-74.