Can PX-350 be used for vocals?

Gene

Using the Line Level Inputs on the back of the keyboard, is there a way to plug in a microphone, say with some kind of a voice processor or D. I. box (whatever that is),  and use the keyboard's speakers and amp., in lieu of having a separate PA with external speakers and amp., and also to record vocals with the accompaniment?  

Using the Line Level Inputs on the back of the keyboard, is there a way to plug in a microphone, say with some kind of a voice processor or D. I. box (whatever that is),  and use the keyboard's speakers and amp., in lieu of having a separate PA with external speakers and amp., and also to record vocals with the accompaniment?  

Yes this will work and yes you will want some sort of preamp or mixer to boost the mic signal going in. 

• 3 weeks later...

I plugged in a mic. cable directly into the input in the back of the PX-350 and got only very faint sound.  Can anyone name something specifically, that I can purchase that will boost the sound for vocals to solve the problem?  

You'll need a microphone preamp, or a small mixer that has one or more microphone preamps built into it.

For a microphone preamp:

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/MIC200.aspx

For a small mixer (I have the Behringer Xenyx 802, and it solves a _lot_ of problems for me) --

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/302USB.aspx

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/502.aspx

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/802.aspx

Essentially, the preamp amplifies the (extremely small) signal that the microphone produces, so that it's compatible with the "line level" input of the PX-350's "Line In" jack.

.               Charles

PS -- all the above preamps and mixers expect a mic with an "XLR" connector.  What mic are you using, and what kind of connector does it have?

If you can change the PG58-QTR to a  PG58 with an XLR cable end  (maybe by just replacing its cable?), any of the Behringer preamps or mixers will work fine.  That's what I would do.  I suspect that 1/4" plug on mics only work for karaoke machines.

The mixers have 1/4" inputs (as well as XLR inputs), but they're "line level" inputs -- they don't go through the mic preamp.  You might be able to get enough gain, though, to drive the DP's "Line In" input.

.          Charles

If you can change the PG58-QTR to a  PG58 with an XLR cable end  (maybe by just replacing its cable?), any of the Behringer preamps or mixers will work fine.  That's what I would do.  I suspect that 1/4" plug on mics only work for karaoke machines.

The mixers have 1/4" inputs (as well as XLR inputs), but they're "line level" inputs -- they don't go through the mic preamp.  You might be able to get enough gain, though, to drive the DP's "Line In" input.

.          Charles

If I understand, I need a XLR cable (with male and female connectors) to go from the microphone into the mixer.  What kind of cable would I need to then go from the mixer into the line-level, 1/4 inch input in the back of the digital piano?  Would it be line-level 1/4 inch on both ends of the cable or would it have to be XLR on one end?  As I understand, the signal or whatever, from the microphone, has to be converted into a line-level impulse to enable the vocals to go through the piano's amp. and to the speakers.  Is the signal coming out of the mixer line-level.  The piano has two line-level inputs in back and one can be used for another instrument, like a guitar.  Ultimately, the signal has to be made into a line-level impulse.  With respect to vocals, one guy on the Internet talked about using a voice processor (TC Helicon Live Voice) or a "D.I. box", that would make the signal line-level.  Anyway, thanks again for the input--no pun intended.  

Gene

If I understand, I need a XLR cable (with male and female connectors) to go from the microphone into the mixer.  What kind of cable would I need to then go from the mixer into the line-level, 1/4 inch input in the back of the digital piano?  Would it be line-level 1/4 inch on both ends of the cable or would it have to be XLR on one end?  As I understand, the signal or whatever, from the microphone, has to be converted into a line-level impulse to enable the vocals to go through the piano's amp. and to the speakers.  Is the signal coming out of the mixer line-level.  The piano has two line-level inputs in back and one can be used for another instrument, like a guitar.  Ultimately, the signal has to be made into a line-level impulse.  With respect to vocals, one guy on the Internet talked about using a voice processor (TC Helicon Live Voice) or a "D.I. box", that would make the signal line-level.  Anyway, thanks again for the input--no pun intended.  

Gene

The mixer (or preamp) output is 1/4" "TS" (tip-sleeve -  monophonic, "unbalanced").   And it's 'line-level'.   [There are mixers that deliver "balanced" output with XLR connections, but they cost more money than the one I listed.]

The line-level input on the piano is also 1/4" "TS" (tip-sleeve).

So you need a 1/4" monophonic ("TS") plug on each end of the cable.  This is a standard item in any music store -- some call it a "guitar cable".

It's a really simple arrangement.

.       Charles

PS -- sorry for the delay in answering -- I have to turn on the "notification" feature . . . 

I checked the Helicon "VoiceLive 2".   Yes, it has an XLR "mic" input, and a mic preamp.  It's not cheap -- might be worthwhile if you're going to use its features.

The "VoiceLive 2" output seems to be either balanced (via XLR jacks) or unbalanced (via 1/4" jacks).  I suspect if you plug a 1/4" "TS" cable from it, to the PX-350, you'll be able to make things work.

There are various kinds of "DI boxes".   Most of them _don't_ have mic preamps built in, and you need that amplification.  [if you have hum problems, and can't fix them any other way, a DI box might be useful.]

.      Charles

PS -- I am using a DI box, right now, to eliminate hum from my computer, from getting into my audio system.  It's a kludge, but it works nicely.

• 2 years later...

Thank you for the above info. I have succeeded in running my mic cable into my mixer using regular mike cables XLR and then back out to my PX560 " Line In " port. I now can hear my vocals through the piano but still cannot get my vocals to record using the onboard sequencer. Any idea why this might not be working for me ?

4 hours ago, Gwen said:

Thank you for the above info. I have succeeded in running my mic cable into my mixer using regular mike cables XLR and then back out to my PX560 " Line In " port. I now can hear my vocals through the piano but still cannot get my vocals to record using the onboard sequencer. Any idea why this might not be working for me ?

The midi recorder does not record audio. Sequencers are like digital sheet music. No sound is actually recorded.  Just midi data.  

You can, however, do this.  Insert usb thumb drive.  Start a new recording using the audio recorder.  Playback the midi recorder, then start singing the vocal part. Everything will be mixed down and recorded as a single stereo wav file to the usb thumb drive.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BradMZ said:

The midi recorder does not record audio. Sequencers are like digital sheet music. No sound is actually recorded.  Just midi data.  

You can, however, do this.  Insert usb thumb drive.  Start a new recording using the audio recorder.  Playback the midi recorder, then start singing the vocal part. Everything will be mixed down and recorded as a single stereo wav file to the usb thumb drive.  

Thanks Brad ... interestingly enough I did figure out that I could only use the audio recorder because vocals aren't midi material. I was able to record vocals over my rhythm and piano playing. I'll just record my backup vocals and then sing over them.  Thank you for your help. I'm relatively smart BUT I  am technically challenged so can really use all the help I can get :-)

I should probably just connect the keyboard to the computer and use Pro Tools but that is a whole other set of technical challenges.