Video Files on Forum ×

Pcm

Leon

Somehow I don't think we're going to get a definitive answer from Casio on this. Mike Martin from Casio has avoided specifying before, probably because with all the different methods of compressing data it really doesn't tell you much.  Some boards just do better than others with a given amount of memory.

That said, dis-assembly of the the XW-P1 reveals that it uses two 128Mbit Flash chips, for a total of 32MB (Megabytes).  Flash memory is non-volatile, so this is where stuff goes that needs to be stored when the machine is not powered, which includes the PCM data.  Some of the Flash memory is used to store non-PCM data including all the settings for sound parameters, performances, sequences, phrases, arpeggios as well as global settings. But all told that probably doesn't consume more than a megabyte or two. So I would estimate about 30MB for PCM. (The XW-G1 may have additional memory for user samples; I don't know since I haven't seen the main board for one of those.) 

http://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/topic/4834-pooched-xw-p1/page-2#entry9540

Now, ~30MB isn't a whole lot nowadays. In fact, it's downright miserly no matter how good your data compression scheme might be. But the XW makes the most of it.  Take for example the stereo piano. While its waves take the largest chunk of the PCM memory I'm sure that even in the P1, which uses a better (triple-strike) piano than the G1, it is still I am sure less than half of it, perhaps considerably less.  Yet it still sounds pretty good. 

PS. If I got anything wildly wrong I'm sure Mike will correct me.  I have been wrong before.  Once.  :P

• Like 1