Video Files on Forum ×

Connecting the px-5s to the xw-p1 (and other midi devices) to Stage Settings

Rca999

Hi all, I recently got a px-5s (Holy crap what an amazing instrument, but I'll save my praising of for somewhere else.  Now back to the question), and I want to hook up my xw and my ipad to them.  I have connected the ipad alreadythru both the usd and midi ports and the audio in I'm sure its the same for the xw. 

My question is how do I make them a  part of a stage setting?  For example, I would like to put the sound of the audio in in zone 3 (or any for that matter). 

Also can I make the audio of the stereo ins and the 1/8 in two different zones?  Right now it plays throug what ever zone I'm on as long as its on. 

And finally, would it be possible to call up a stage setting (that I set up) that will change the tone on the xw?

Thanks

Hello,

the audio-in doesn't go through zones per se.  It feeds basically to the audio out.  So all audio-in, goes out - it cannot be manipulated through stage settings.  There are some system functions to control external volume and turn on and off the compressor, but basically audio-in is just a patch through with amplification.

The second part has to do with how the XW receives program change information.  Basically, when you choose a bank and number on the PX-5s, it sends that as a program change so on the XW (though I don't know that synth) or a midi receiving synth in general, you would have to have the corresponding patch setup so when you type the bank and number on the PX, the correct patch changes on the external synth

It can get a little bit complex, because there are several banks in the PX.  The tones that are tied to the stage settings have bank and program change information.  These tones can correspond to the instrument buttons on the left hand side of the display screen.  Each of these instrument types have a different bank.  GM, however, has a bank of zero. 

The details of the banks can be found in the manuals.  But to get you up and running, do a simple test:

1. make sure you have your chain of devices set up so that the PX is ultimately sending midi data to the XW

2. press the bank button and change stage settings

3. Check which programs are activated on the XW when you make program changes on the PX

4. For whatever zone on a particular stage setting you want sent to the XW, make sure the external midi out is set to the proper channel.  For those zones you don't want to send controller or keyboard information, turn the external midi out off.

• Like 2

You are welcome.  I'm not sure if I'm being helpful or just like to hear myself talk (or would it be "read myself write" ?). :)

Oh, and one other thing, the audio in can be recorded on the USB along with the PX-5s internal sounds - you can play along with your favorite song or something else coming into the audio in and record it all in real time on a USB stick.