G1 Drawbar Pack

BrettM

File Name: G1 Drawbar Pack

File Submitter: Brett M

File Submitted: 19 Mar 2014

File Category: XW-G1

After experimenting with the nona-layer method I posted in the G1 area a while back, I now realise there is an easier way to create a complete drawbar organ on the G1: save the nine basic drawbar tones as splits across two user waves. Each split corresponds to one drawbar. Then all you have to do is edit the volume of each split to create the desired registration. Don't forget to change the volumes in increments of 16 if you want true drawbar authenticity, although finer adjustments are possible. The splits are constructed as follows:

File/Split Note played Drawbar
DBL88888 Split 1 C3 16'
DBL88888 Split 2 G4 5 1/3'
DBL88888 Split 3 C4 8'
DBL88888 Split 4 C5 4'
DBL88888 Split 5 G5 2 2/3'
DBH8888 Split 1 C6 2'
DBH8888 Split 2 E6 1 3/5'
DBH8888 Split 3 G6 1 1/3'
DBH8888 Split 4 C7 1'

Also included in the pack is a performance which ties it all together, including the 2nd and 3rd percussion in zones 3 and 4. Knob 1 adjusts the volume of zone 3 and thus switches 2nd percussion on or off and increases it's volume in the mix. Ditto for knob 2 and 3rd percussion. Knob 3 controls the overdrive gain of the rotary speaker and knob 4 controls its speed.

It uses up two user waves, but this is a small price to pay for a fully functional drawbar organ. Save the files to a card until needed.

The main limitation of this set up is that it chews up the polyphony pretty fast because we're mixing the drawbar sound in real time. One note on the keyboard activates 11 tones. A triad uses 33! If this causes a problem, just record a single note, say C4, in the sampler and you're back in business. This is also a good way to store specific registrations that you may want to reuse. Enjoy!

=== Version 2.0 ===

I noticed some distortion when playing triads in version 1.0 of the organ, which I put down to exceeding the polyphony, but now realise that it was just straight out clipping. So version 2.0 has the same files with the volumes of each split reduced from 127 to 80. This should eliminate any distortion and also makes it easier to create standard registrations using stop increments of 10 rather than 16, you may have to turn up the volume a bit more however. When some of the drawbars (splits) are "pushed in" (turned down), it may be possible to increase the volumes of the others without experiencing clipping.

=== Version 3.0 ===

I have since realised that the pitch shifter can shift up two octaves, but can shift down many more, so I've raised everything by an octave. Thus all the notes in the table above are an octave higher. This allows the organ to play from C7 down which makes it much more playable. Previously the notes repeated after C6. I've also improved the looping in the splits.

Click here to download this file