Video Files on Forum ×

Performance Vs (.5) Workstation like ability of the XW synth.

First this is a though subject for me to relay but I have to trow it out because I keep asking myself the same question over and over again instead of a performance synth I find the XW-G1 more half of a workstation I know the PCM quality aint to shabby but still doable because you can edit or add your own samples it gives you more variety even if its not of the highest fidelity found in more expensive workstation hardware out there. 

But the step-sequence and controllers, broad range of instruments brings out more of the synth capability. I totally vouch for my G1 I understand why its not a workstation it just isn't powerful enough to do loads of sound processing at once like the PX5S is capable off but for the little part that it has puts me sometimes in awe because it doesn't make me lazy to do a quick music session or creation.

When I think about workstation I think about creating my sound with a rhythm to match and go wild  pressing buttons switching effects and sound the addition with the Sseq balanced it very well in the XW synth it can do most stuff alone but it really excels when it performance as support to other synths, synth/sequencer apps  , samplers ,DAW.

Ever noticed what happened if you put the total sound of your XW through a FX processor unit let me say I think when it is just half of a workstation my other stuff makes it a whole one and I enjoy a space ship like getup for sure a workstation doing it all in once is much better but I have a feeling the XW got  a .5 ability from the engineers to do some of the stuff.

I paid approximately $600 USD for my XW-P1 "SYNTH", and it comes in at 12 lb. (5.4 kg).

I paid approximately $2500 USD for my Yamaha Motif XS "WORKSTATION" that has all the features you describe, and it tipped the scales at a little over 32 lb. (14.8 kg).

Features = $$$ + heft :rolleyes:

So far, the P1 has been able to do everything I bought it for - - - - and then some !

• Like 1

We have talked about this in other threads.. but I have reached the conclusion that XW-P1 means "Experimental Workstation - Performance" and XW-G1 mean "Experimental Workstation - Groove".  To turn the XW into a full-blown workstation, I have found this set-up to play really nice with my Casio: An XW, an iPad mini and a BR-800 (digital 8 track / effects box).  Total cost is less than $1200. 

t9xn4w.jpg

• Like 1

I remember that term indeed, Well that settles this for sure now for me, Now I just have to get used to the term "Experimental Workstation" for these synth :)

Tnicoson I now what you mean its raw as in do "work" yourself :)  while a Motif workstation dish it out the XW screams only if you work for it rewards sonic joy :). But I'm eye balling between the PX5S and MoxF 8 now  :blink:.  That Br 800 recorder Scott its on my wish list :)

That Br 800 recorder Scott its on my wish list :)

It's really versatile. It's an audio interface for my computer, a drum machine, a mixer, a multitrack and an effects box. Runs on batteries and has two really nice built in condenser mics. I use it quite a bit for recording my acoustic piano.. works very well just with the built-in mics.

Another item in the same price range is the Tascam DP-24.. more tracks, no drums and not as portable.. but very nice as well. It's good to have options! 

:)

When I first got my P1 and G1 I was a bit confused about the sequencer portion of them. I forgot they were step sequencers and at that time was a bit disappointed. Then I picked up a Yamaha QX-5 20,000 note sequencer and that helped a great deal. Many of the older Roland and Yamaha sequencers are for ale on eBay at a fraction of their original cost, or if you wan to go the software route, then there are quite a few for your PC/Mac/iPad too. I'm still pretty much old school and prefer the hardware sequencers.

But I'm eye balling between the PX5S and MoxF 8 now  :blink:

PX-5s!  PX-5S!  Oh sorry...couldn't help but cheer for a moment.

We have talked about this in other threads.. but I have reached the conclusion that XW-P1 means "Experimental Workstation 

Here's my questions if this is true.  Is it called experimental because that's the way the end user should use it?  for experimenting.   Or, is it being called experimental because that's they way Casio views them?  They designed/released them as a market/engineering experiment.  Or is it both?

I feel if this were still the eighties (where'd I put my time machine??) Thomas Dolby would be using an XW-P1 or G1 (or probably both!) to make his "The Golden Age of Wireless" album.  You know, the one where he is posing as a mad scientist on the cover among all his "tubes and wires."  (Maybe posing is the wrong word given that he IS a kind of a musical mad-scientist!)

thomas-dolby-golden-age-of-wireless.jpg

Any Photoshop wizards out there want to do a suitable mash-up?  That one from last Thanksgiving still has me chuckling anytime I think of it.  Here's a link to a decent res scan of the cover:  http://blog-imgs-15-origin.fc2.com/r/e/r/reryo/thegoldenageofwireless.jpg

• Like 1