step sequencer to drive external drum machine

rothers

I want to use channels 8-16 on the xw g1's step sequencer to drive an old yamaha rx11( using the individual outs to trigger analog drums on an old organ) . Im having trouble assigning notes for each track, so say track 8 i need key A2 to trigger bass drum on yamaha. How do i assign just one note (A2) for track 8. Every time i do it , there is a range of notes to choose from?

Regards

I can trigger the external drum machine from the xwg1 via midi by pressing keys but can't get the step sequencer to send midiout as it's playing what does the midi out setting do ? there are three choices keys,midi, and usb only keys seems to send midiout data when I play the keyboard, has anyone else managed to trigger external gear from the step sequencer......cheers

rothers

I assume you have the XG directly connected to the drum machine via "5-pin-DIN MIDI" rather than "USB via a computer", so make sure MIDIOutSel is set to MIDI rather than USB (Page E-82 of the manual), otherwise your MIDI OUT signals will be redirected to the USB port.

Since the Step Sequencer uses Channels 8 through 12 for drum notes, you will probably need to set your drum machine's receive MIDI channel to "ALL" if possible, but if it is looking for all drum notes to be on a common internal track (usually Track 10), then you will need to set it up manually to feed individual incoming Channels 8 through 12 into that common internal track (10 ?).

rothers

My sincerest apologies.  I have just spent the past four hours trying to do on my XW-P1 what you have been trying to do with your G1, and I can not get it to work either.  Rather than creating a new step sequence, I just selected a preset Performance with a step sequence rhythm that I liked and tried to get the P1 to output that via MIDI to any of several devices.  I have an old Roland SC-88 sound module that is my default sound module for the PC (Beats the MS Wavetable Synth all to @@@@). I have a Zoom MRT-3B drum/rhythm module to accompany my guitar playing, and then I have my PC DAW.  The SC-88 and MRT-3B are strictly 5-pin-DIN MIDI, while the PC DAW is either direct USB or 5-pin-DIN via a USB-MIDI adapter.  I tried connecting the P1 to each of these devices with every combination of its internal MIDI settings and got nothing.  I was able to play the keyboard and get Note ON/OFF data, but I was unable to get any MIDI output from the Step Sequencer either via 5-pin-DIN or USB.  This is not a major problem to me, as I use all of my keyboards pretty much as standalone devices - workstations, so to speak.  I normally create my initial work on the keyboard, then save it as a MIDI file on a flashdrive or SD Card, then port it to my DAW on that for mastering.  At that point, I will connect the keyboard to the PC for use as a sound module during mastering, but I certainly understand that this is a major concern for folks like yourself that have a need to inteface these units with external devices.  I do get extremely frustrated when I can not get something to work that should work, but at this point, I am afraid that I am going to have to back out of this, as I am more of a hindrance than a help.  If you don't mind I would like to "watch over your shoulder" on this in hopes that someone will come along with the right answers for both (all) of us.

Good luck with this !

You have to turn on midi out for each part. (or usb out if that's your output)

Edit performance > midi edit >  scroll down to midi out/usb out > use the part buttons to select the parts while turning on each one's output

Once you done this you can either make a Stepseq and map each corresponding key strike equal to the midi channel on you're Yamaha rx11, The G1 stores this in the stepseq file naming it YamahaRx11.

Or something totally different you can setup the corresponding midi channel to your Rx11 within performance mode add the stepseq , It also should be possible to assign prog chng number with multifunc key -> key setting and set each drum under a key.

Some idea's that could help, Has to cause I connected my mpx8 sampler player to the G1 and mapped each key or pad to play something :)

You can search the forum for mpx8 sampler to find the post about this but its similar information as BradMZ commented about.

B I N G O  !   Brad

Mine is working.  I had been into that Performance MIDI edit page several times, but MIDI and USB were both already on, so I just backed out and assumed that was OK, I didn't realize what I was seeing was only for Part 1 and that it they had to be set for each part that you wanted transmitted.  I had chosen the XW SoloSynth Performance, which is Performance Preset #2.  Turns out that only Part 1 through 6 were turned on for external output.  Parts 7 through 16 were OFF.  They worked internally, but nothing was transmitted out of the XW for them.  That is why, at one point, I could play the keyboard and get a response from my sound module.  The keyboard was playing Parts 1 and 2, which were turned ON.  I had started to come back in here and tell you that it still did not work, but then I realized I was not getting anything from the keyboard.  The Step Sequencer was running, but I wasn't even getting any internal sound from the XW.  It looks like Sonar had sent something to it that it didn't like.  It had turned off LOCAL, but that alone wasn't it.  I turned LOCAL back on, but that still didn't help.  A simple power OFF/ON didn't help either.  It finally took a complete factory reset to get it going again.  I had had Sonar connected during the night also, so even if I had properly set the Performance Parts, I don't think I would have known the difference at that point.  Anyway, I have it working now, but only for MIDI (5-pin-DIN MIDI ( "REAL" MIDI) ("ROUND" MIDI - not "FLAT" MIDI)).  I will fight the USB/SONAR battle another day.  Right now I just want to go have some fun with this thing !

Many, many thanks !  As I had said in an earlier post, I don't normally use my keyboards this way, but unlike Hannibal Smith of the A-Team - "I just hate it when a plan doesn't come together".  This plan just came together, so I will sleep easier tonight !

• Like 3

• 9 months later...

So glad I logged in and checked this out.

I'm looking at a used XW-P1 for running sequences live. I'm looking to drive a Boss DR-880 for drums and run bass & keyboards from the Casio. Seems like there will be some legit homework to do while learning this gear, but judging from this thread, this will all be very possible.

• Like 1

This is one of the best things about the XW series.  The Step Sequencer tracks can be internal sounds, external MIDI devices or both simultaneously.  In addition the USB and standard MIDI ports are independently addressable - I'm not aware of that capability on any other brand.  I've had the most fun lately using the XW's amazing sounds and tools along with other MIDI gear.

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

You will have to turn on midi out for each part. (or usb out if that's your output)

Edit > performance > midi edit >  scroll down to midi out/usb out > use the part buttons to select the parts while turning on each part's output

I just want to thank Brad and say that this is probably the most important post I've ever seen in this section of the forum. THANK YOU!! I've spent the week putting together a really complex sequence using almost every feature of the XW-P1. But there were two tracks I wanted to send out to other synths for their unique sounds. I knew that this could be done, but I simply couldn't find where to set the MIDI out parameters, other than just sending stuff out to Channel 1. This would never work for my idea. Spent a day going through the menus, changing everything I could find, combing through the manual, but I just wasn't finding it. I was just about to give up when I came here, did a search and found this thread. Thanks to everyone who contributed. Just another affirmation that the P1 is just about the most important piece of gear I own.

BTW, those two synths? Two Roland Boutiques (the JP-08 and the JX-03). These are simply amazing little boards with BIG classic sounds, and they really shine when you connect them to the XW-P1 sequencer and phrase recorder. Just fantastic. The three of them together are a dream come true. 

• Like 1