No ability for expression pedal input? I'll work around it!

pax-eterna

• 3 months later...

The PX_5S does have the ability for an expression pedal via MIDI with  the Behringer FCB 1010. Plug it into the MIDI port and set it to the right CC. Done and done. They  can do other things too, like program change up/down, trigger notes from the 10 switches... plus it has two pedals so you can use one to control filter, resonance, etc. so you can simulate aftertouch.

Scott Hamlin,

Can u suggest a similar workaround to simulate half-damper effect with the FCB1010. If it's possible to achieve half-damping, then i'm in for PX-5S.

Hi,

suggestion:

I'm not that techie to know how much is difficult (and expensive) to make a device that can trasform the volume pedal (or expression pedal) potentiometer to a midi CC (ie. 11).

If somebody can build such a board that has input for a STD expression pedal and a midi OUT with the proper CC (like a mini FCB1010) and this will cost in the range of 30-40 $ I guess there is a market for this.

I found this Wheel Electronic but it's bit too expensive...what is needed it's a "downsize" solution... 

I own a FCB1010, it's a great product but it's bi and heavy and this is not good particularly for the small gig...

• 2 months later...

Hi,

suggestion:

I'm not that techie to know how much is difficult (and expensive) to make a device that can trasform the volume pedal (or expression pedal) potentiometer to a midi CC (ie. 11).

If somebody can build such a board that has input for a STD expression pedal and a midi OUT with the proper CC (like a mini FCB1010) and this will cost in the range of 30-40 $ I guess there is a market for this.

I have found an Ardunio-based MIDI expression pedal. You basically strip an existing pedal and add a MIDI port and the new guts. Total price on a one-off is around $100-$150, depending on where you source the parts. Unfortunately there isn't a huge market for these, so getting the price down is tough.  

Here's the link with all the instructions if you are handy with sort of thing:

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/38203/Arduino-Based-MIDI-Expression-Pedal 

FootPedal3.jpg

FinalCircuitBoardBack.png

FinalCircuitBoardFront.png

CircuitBoardComponentsCloseup.png

CircuitBoardWithComponents.png

AssembledComponents.jpg

I also penned this article for the PX-5S Newsletter describing all the different ways to add expression to the PX-5S:

Volume / Expression Pedal Roundup 

2211a133-1031-415f-8bfd-6dabbb55724c.jpg

There has been a lot of discussion in the FB Group and on other forums about adding volume or expression pedals to the PX-5S. There are a number of options out there, depending on your budget and preferences. Here's a brief overview of what's available:

Analog Volume Pedal
This is probably the easiest way to control the PX-5S volume with your foot. Here's how it works: You run the output from the PX-5S into the pedal, and then run the output from the pedal to your mixer, amp, FOH, etc. Several members are using the Boss FV-500L pedal (pictured above, approx $110.00), but there are others out there. Make sure your get a "low impedance" pedal!

MIDI Pedal
I was somewhat surprised that I couldn't find a stand-alone pedal that connects via MIDI. It seems that the Behringer FCB-1010 pedal board ($150.00) is the only option for an all-in-one solution. The board may be a little overkill for some: It has 2 expression pedals, 10 programmable foot switches and a set of up/down buttons.  

The FCB-1010 can be a little tricky to program, but if you are a MIDI control freak this is the pedal board you have been waiting for! 

MIDI "boxes"
Another method is using a "box" that takes an analog pedal and sends the data via 5-pin MIDI DIN. I have found 2, both are around $100. One is the MIDI Solutions Pedal Controller , which is the most popular and has been tested and found to work well with the PX-5S. The other is a new one to me and I don't have any info. on it yet, but it looks promising: the Source Audio Soundblox Hub V1 

Another Keyboard
It may seem obvious, but if you have another keyboard that takes on expression pedal you can MIDI it to the PX-5S and send expression data that way. You would go MIDI OUT from your keyboard with the pedal input into the MIDI IN of the PX-5S.

Computer
One final method is to use a USB-adapter with an analog pedal and use a computer to send the expression data to the PX-5S. MIDI Expression makes such a device. I haven't tried it, but it looks promising.

Let Us Know What Works for You!
If you are successfully using a volume or expression pedal with your PX-5S, whether it's listed here or not, please share your story with the Facebook Group! 

• 4 years later...
On 10/13/2014 at 12:31 AM, Scott Hamlin said:

Computer
One final method is to use a USB-adapter with an analog pedal and use a computer to send the expression data to the PX-5S. MIDI Expression makes such a device. I haven't tried it, but it looks promising.

Besides using a traditional computer, you should also be able to use an iPhone/iPad and the Midiflow app (and probably other apps as well). You'd need a way to plug the MIDI Expression device and the Casio into the i-device at the same time, so you'd need some kind of USB hub. But especially since so many people have their iPhones or iPads at gigs anyway, this can be more convenient than bringing a computer.

Yeah,  I know. But PX5S is still current, and this topic is still a concern... and a relevant google search easily brings you here. So where better to keep this info consolidated?

While I'm here...

On 10/13/2014 at 12:31 AM, Scott Hamlin said:

MIDI Pedal
I was somewhat surprised that I couldn't find a stand-alone pedal that connects via MIDI. It seems that the Behringer FCB-1010 pedal board ($150.00) is the only option for an all-in-one solution. 

You could also keep your eyes out for a used Digitech MC2.

An issue with any directly attached MIDI pedal is that they will affect the sound of just one MIDI channel. Sometimes that's fine (or even specifically desirable), other times it can be a limitation.