Split point setting for transposing sequences live

Jokeyman123

OK, another XW-P1 stumper. Sequences will transpose with keyshift button selected on got that.  But there seems to be different key split points for different preset sequences or performances and I'll be darned if i can find how to set or modify this, or how it is programmed into the presets. Some sequences will only trigger transpose with lowest 5 or so keys, others are up an octave. Is it done through performance zones with a sequencer "attached" to the performance? Or is it set as part of the sequence preset itself? I can't tell, and the manual/!@#$%%^!!  I see how to set zones in a performance, but which zone is triggering the keyshift transpose function? And sometimes at random the keyshift works, and sometimes it doesn't, with the same sequence or performance, must be a bug or I don't understand something inherent in the system (I'm being repressed-Monty Python). I still haven't discovered what's going on here. HELP ME :wacko:

As I know the position of the keyshift is always in the lowest octave to the left. Go to Step Sequencer, press EDIT -> Track Param -> Keyshift. There you can adjust the breakpoints and the way keyshift works (real time - switch immediately or wait first to finish the whole sequence). And this is for just one individual track. You must use the PART + - buttons to cycle through the rest of tracks. 

OK, so it is done from sequencer track. page 57 in the manual. Guess I didn't quite understand "point between c and b where keyshift drops the octave when the key is exceeded".  I had read this, but couldn't quite grasp its meaning. Still can't figure out which track is triggering the transposition. Guess if I study how the presets are programmed I can figure it out. Thanks.

• Like 1

Since you have only an octave (without the upper C) for keyshift, you are offered to designate a breakpoint. That means, if your breakpoint is G for example, the following is happening:
- by pressing keys from C to F sharp, everything is played normally from those keys
- by pressing the keys from the breakpoint, in our case from G to B (or H), they are played by an octave lower.
The selection of the breakpoint usually depends in which key (or tonality) are you playing, or how do you want your sequence to modulate. 
The keyshift can be turned ON or OFF in the KEYSHIFT menu in the TRACK PARAM. I usually turn OFF the keyshift for the drum parts, and leave it ON for the solo, chord and bass parts.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hi, I'm new on this forum...so I hope I started the right way ( this is my first message )....I'm writing from Italy and I apologize for my bad English ;)  Before all...I'd like to thank all people here ( Administrators and users ) for their great willingness!

I'm writing on this thread because I'm interested in Buying an XW P1 these days, and I have two questions about sequencer and Key shift function:

1) is it possible to extend the key range of the key shift feature? I mean...I've seen many videos where just the first octave on the keyboard is available for this funcion...after reading the manual I assumed there is a sort of programmable split / note octave reallocation inside the only first keyboard octave range available when the key shift function is enabled....I'd like to know if is possible to extend the key shift feature at least to two octaves ( the first two octaves ) in order to obtain a wider transposition range?....for example on C2 have the original sequences pitch, on c1 an octave lower and on c3 an octave higer....and so on for all the semitones in beetween...

I've also seen videos about the use of the phrase recorder and this funcion permits a wider range of key transposition to be used along the keyboard with different assignable zones too...so...maybe the same thing is possible with the step sequencer in key shift mode?

2) when external gears ( synths ) are controlled by the internal xwp1 sequencer ... is the key shift funcion transmitted ? so all the external gears will be transposed accordingly to the realtime pitch transposition of the xwp1? 

Thanx in advance! I hope my English has been understandable ! 

Cheers .

Dixie.

this picture shows what i mean....is it possible to extend the key shift range to 2 octaves? setting the green key ( c2 ) to the original step sequence pitch ( instead of c 1 ) allowing the player to transpose up or down an octave?

this option is available for example on Elka Synthex's sequencer...

KB-6-12-334x.jpg