Video Files on Forum ×

Will Casio ever support Android?

The real question you should be asking is whether or not Android will ever support MIDI properly.  Casio's current apps support Windows, Mac, iPads and iPhones and even Linux under the Wine emulator.

The sad truth is that Android tablets lack the necessary hardware to support the MIDI spec properly.

If you have complaints, make them to Google, not Casio.

Dat's de way de cookie crumbles :)

Gary

• Like 2

The 5S is a great keyboard but will users ever have an Android App or do well all have to spend another $600 on an IPad?

Get an iPad. No need to spend $600 unless you want the latest greatest. I have a mini I picked up for $200 on Black Friday. Runs all my apps just fine. Heavy multitracking can't be done on mine, but I don't need it for that anyway. 

I use small Windows compatible tablet/laptops that can also run Linux (which is pretty complex for music unless you are ready to dip into terminals, ADB interface commands and incompatible or non-existant drivers!) One is an older Fujitsu Lifebook (P1620) with an 8.9" touchscreen that runs several sequencers, all the Casio software, audio editors, Coolsoft virtual synth and complete DAW suites without a hitch. I'm no Windows fanboy but at least everything works, much Windows music software has stood the test of time and Windows shortcomings. Happyrat is right-there is no midi spec for Android that works well so far. I've tried many Android music apps but these all run as stand-alone without a midi interface or with a complex wi-fi networking arrangement, not pretty. And Google-take a look at the backlash in communities such as XDA, Howard forums who are constantly trying to work around Google's attempts to take over control of what is supposed to be an "open source" OS and the problems it causes-insufficient memory problems and ad-hogging applications mostly. I have a 'non-Google certified" tablet which I thought was broken until I realized I had a tablet that did not support Google Play, Google Services, maps, etc.until I found alternative apps that worked fine without Google apps.

using an OTG Cable some of the Midi programms are working out of the Box..xpou can give it a try using midi monitor and you will see android is recognizing Midi messages,,,,the problem is the driver....IOS is burn from Mac´s OSX Software and there is the core driver inside...of course the mac´s was always first choice for musicians...and Google does not care about musicians....they are selling informations and and all your datas theycan get with Android....so why making a MIidi Audio Driver they can´t sell your music it is under your property.......;)

Chris

Right now, Best Buy is selling the 32 Gb 8 inch Lenovo Miix-2 tablet with quad core processor and running Windows 8.1 for $300.  That is $200 less than I paid for my Samsung Galaxy Tab-2 a couple of years ago and way less than I paid for my iPad.  I think you will see the Windows Surface/Tablet market give the iPad the real run for its money in the music production arena way before the Android products do.  The Windows hardware and operating system are already MIDI Class Compliant, so they don't need to do the "catching up" that the Android market needs to.  There are not a lot of music production apps available now, but give them a few months.  There are already a couple of serious sequencers avaiable for them - one of which is Steinberg's Cubasis.  You don't get much more top drawer than that, and even the iPad doesn't have an app that comes up to Cubasis' features and capabilities.

Chris

Right now, Best Buy is selling the 32 Gb 8 inch Lenovo Miix-2 tablet with quad core processor and running Windows 8.1 for $300.  That is $200 less than I paid for my Samsung Galaxy Tab-2 a couple of years ago and way less than I paid for my iPad.  I think you will see the Windows Surface/Tablet market give the iPad the real run for its money in the music production arena way before the Android products do.  The Windows hardware and operating system are already MIDI Class Compliant, so they don't need to do the "catching up" that the Android market needs to.  There are not a lot of music production apps available now, but give them a few months.  There are already a couple of serious sequencers avaiable for them - one of which is Steinberg's Cubasis.  You don't get much more top drawer than that, and even the iPad doesn't have an app that comes up to Cubasis' features and capabilities.

Cubasis is for the iPad...

Sorry Rusty !

My error !  I thought they had ported it to a Win-8 tablet/surface app as well.  Have no idea where I got that.  Thanks for the correction.  Would hate to see Chris, or anybody else, run out and buy a Win-8 tablet thinking they were going to run Cubasis, but my original point to Chris is still the same - I think it will be the Win-8 tablet/surface market that undercuts the price of iPad for music production way before the Android market.

• Like 1

Sorry Rusty !

My error !  I thought they had ported it to a Win-8 tablet/surface app as well.  Have no idea where I got that.  Thanks for the correction.  Would hate to see Chris, or anybody else, run out and buy a Win-8 tablet thinking they were going to run Cubasis, but my original point to Chris is still the same - I think it will be the Win-8 tablet/surface market that undercuts the price of iPad for music production way before the Android market.

Agreed.

Even if Android devices were up to the task of serious music production, I think the rampant piracy associated with Android would still cripple development or ports of apps like Cubasis.

I thought that Cubasis was a stripped down version of Cubase, often packaged with audio hardware/ sound cards? I had a copy of Cubasis running quite happily on my PC until I upgraded to a full Cubase package.

I could be wrong but I think now Cubasis is just an ios app and it is Cubase le or ai that comes free packaged with other gear.

Chas

Rust is correct.  Cubasis is an iPad app.  It will run stand-alone, but it was really designed to run as an adjunct to full Cubase running on a PC.

The stripped down versions that are distributed with hardware are the "LE" (Limited Edition) versions.  Some years ago, there was also an AI-4 version, which was the LE-4 version customized to integrate with the Yamaha Motif XS Workstation, and was distributed with them.

• Like 1

Just checked the back up CD copy I still have, and it has 'Cubasis VST 5' written on it. It was given to me by a friend who bought a soundcard and it came bundled with it, but he already had a full version of Cubase so never needed/ wanted Cubasis. This is the one I had installed on my PC a few years back. Now I'm running Cubase SX (it's old but works absolutely fine for what I need).

Any idea what the Cubasis VST 5 was all about? 

It appears that Cubasis VST replaced the LE (PC) versions of Cubase for a number of years and in addition to being bundled with hardware, was also available on the open market.  While it was licensed and sold under the Steinberg name, it was actually published and distributed by Pinnacle Systems, a producer of low priced software in the UK.  Cubasis VST was on about the same level as Cakewalk's Music Creator.  There is a distinction between "Cubasis VST" which was a Windows PC product and "Cubasis" which is a current product for the iPad market.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow! Now that's a longshot. I'd be willing to guess that some of their new instruments are already using some type of RISC CPU and instruction set of their own design, but we'll never know as some of the CPUs are sealed in epoxy! (I know I've taken the XW-P1 apart to check when I pooched the firmware). Each version of Android is actually "machine dependent" in a sense-each newer chip in your tablet or phone is dependent on the new functionality developers program into the newer OS and vice-versa (you can upgrade your Android but your old chip might not work anymore or you will not gain the new OS features unless the chip can perform the instructions) imagine what this means for a music keyboard manufacturer/ software developer-regardless of what's in your tablet, unless there is programming in the OS specifically designed to function within the MIDI specifications established years ago and updated only sporadically, and the CPU is capable of responding fuggedaboudit! Windows dropped midi functionality from Windows 98 to XP, Mapping midi functions in XP was almost impossible until programmers developed ways around it, and it was painful if you were music software dependent and had everything up and running in windows 95/98.