Work in Progress: Interactive (Also Jazzy for the Sunday Crowd)

hey all

i just thought I'd try something new with a track i'm working on and talk though the process of developing a track once there is a rough sketch of things. For me, composing digitally is a lot more like sculpture that performance. I'm still using sounds and theory, but 1) its not nececarily a "real time" dynamic proces as much as blocking in rough ideas and composing subtractively. Usually i'll take a day, slop all the ideas together that i can and will refine the rest at a later date.

I am also hoping that this helps people see a bit of the process of making music- by seeing the production process warts and all, it helps frame how art is formed and shatters the illusion that artwork magically happens.

for this project, I am posting before it is done and i'm going to be talking through the logic of enhancing my arrangement in a section by section basis, ultimately (hopefully) putting together a track that has solid arrangement, focus, and quality.

Entry 1: the plop

I made this track during some experimentation yesterday. its made using casio pt-1, casio mt-100, and yamaha pss-460 (all <$5 sound sources). I'm composing in reason and have sliced up and modified a few drum loops and have also used a pitch shifter to adjust some drum sounds. 

let me know what you think so far and some initial reactions. I'll be changing and adapting these, so this will be a nice chance to build your arrangement skills.

lodger- build it up WIP.mp3

• Like 3

I f-ing love this man. Doesn't even sound like it needs work but, we all have our own ideas of how we can make things better. You've def submitted yours for Synthazz Sunday. I can tell, because when I listen to smooth jazz I get those chills down my spine, so much emotion goes into it. Gotta give a + for that bass too.

now that my ears are fresh, i'm starting to take another listen.

1) tweaking some of the phrases- i'd like there to be a stronger sense of melody in the opening riff...at least in the 3-4 bar of the prase. imo the accompanyment is good, but the question of what the takeaway part that would leave people humming isnt the clearest - or at least a standout chorus, etc

2) arrangement is everything-  i'd like there to be some changeups with voicing, making the track hit in 2-3 waves more definitively.

3) There's somethign that feels too disorienting about the track- i'd like to find more ways of helping to tie this together.

starting to collect some reference works

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBKmaZxq98k

lets see how this goes