Muting tracks live/switching "parts"

Jokeyman123

Is there a quick way to mute complete tracks playing within a sequence? Watching one of Mike Martin's videos he mentions "muting" but I can't see how to do this quickly-changing levels from within the mixer screen with the sliders seems to be the only way I can do this and it isn't quick.

Another sequencer detail I can't understand-when trying to switch "parts' from the mixer in sequencer mode, it seems to default to track 8 and unless I get out of the mixer screen, I cannot shift to tracks 1-7 with the part button. I know I must be misunderstanding something. Does it have to do with whether I'm in edit mode or not? Maybe I better put this question in a separate post, Creating tracks with this sequencer is a performance technique within itself!

Jokeyman

While you are in Step Sequencer mode, you can press the EDIT button and then use the 16 buttons at the left side (1 - 16) below the 4 Assignable Knobs to turn the various tracks on and off.  While you are in this mode, you can press the MIXER button and hold down one of the 16 track control buttons to "solo" a particular track.

As for your second question, the Step Sequencer uses Tracks 8 thru 16, so while you are in Step Sequencer mode, the Mixer defaults to that with Track 8 being the first track.  See page 50 of the XW-P1's manual for a diagram of the Step Sequencer's track layout.  Parts 8 thru 16 are for recording "note" data (note-on / note-off / etc), but the diagram shows four additional parts for the recording of controller automation.  I have yet to determine where these additional four parts actually get recorded.  I can find no indication that they are recorded on any of the seven remaining tracks.  I have also been unable to determine exactly the relationship between a "part" and a "track" and a "channel" as Casio uses those terms.  For the most part, I just assume that they are on a one for one basis, that is, Part 8 is Track 8 is Channel 8, and so far, I have gotten away with this assumption with no problems.

Aha!-I know how to turn individual steps on and off for each track in the sequencer no problem. But switching entire tracks at once helps when I'm developing a sequence for playback. I also understand the layout of tracks for the sequencer, but I still get confused due to Casio's terminology sometimes. I think the trick is that I have to get out of "edit" mode when I'm recording a sequence, before I can switch to "track" or "channel" 1, 2 , 3 etc. using the "part" buttons.and the mixer screen. Studying the WK manuals (I don't have a WK) I can see changing channels or tracks is a little easier from that mixer setup. I'll have to ptractice switching around screens some more to get clarity, Unlike other keyboards/workstations I've owned, the XW does not always switch from one function to another "seamlessly" in order to be able to access functions that would seem to be closely related. In order to switch "tones" when recording a sequence, if I have the keyshift function on, it turns it off when I do that. This is a complex machine. Thanks again Ted. I

Following up-page E-56 in the manual is the only description I see as Ted describes, so there is no real 'quick' way to mute tracks. In sequencer mode, hit edit. Scroll to pattern to select/make sure I'm working on the correct "pattern"- scroll to "track" setting in sequencer edit menu, then use 8-16 sequencer buttons (note parts in Casiospeak) to mute/unmute a track or tracks from there. That is as quick as I guess it will get.  Or I can mute all tracks at once, by turning it off, I know that will work. :P