Video Files on Forum ×

coupling 2 keyboards by midi

krullebolle

Hello,

I have an old korg X50 and a px-5S.

I want to couple them both, by midi. The px5s will be the master controller, giving the cc's for the pedals, and for changing programs (only to the ones I want). I find very little info on the net on how everything is configured.

Could someone summarize what needs to be put out or changed, how to configure the midi settings generally?

For example:

in my setup I want to use the px as main controller, but also I want to use the expression pedal from the korg to be send by midi to the px.

Both are coupled by midi cables, midi in and out are connected.

Do I have to program every stage setting (bank 0) i'm gonna use in the live set, the according midi settings? Or are there general settings to be made?

On some stage settings i'm gonna want to use the korgs waterfall keys to control the organ from the px.

All in all, what I ask here is advice from someone who has done this, experiences and things to watch out for. Is this a strange setup? I find it strange that I can't seem to find much info about it...

Thanks in advance!

@krullebolle

Talk yourself through the setup, that will help you get an idea of what to do.  I'll give a rough idea of the process for your setup.  If their are details you need for a specific piece, ask and myself or others will likely respond. 

1. You want the Px-5s to be the main controller - so you definitely want midi out from the px-5s

2. Whatever stage setting is set on the PX is going to have 4 zones.  Each zone is going to SEND OUT midi information on any or all of 4 midi channels - 1 channel per zone.

2a. You're going to want to set up which channels and which zones are going to send information to your other midi device.  Every stage setting has it's own midi setup so you are going to have to be aware of this and if you plan on switching stage settings, you're going to have to setup the midi for each stage setting you plan on using.

2b. If your intention is to change programs on your external keyboard from the Px-5s then there are several things to consider.  Looking at 2a, if you are going to change the stage setting, then the individual tones that assigned to the stage setting are going to influence which programs are changed.  Usually the external midi device will read the program change from channel 1.  If this channel is transmitting on a Px-5s zone, then the tone assigned to that zone will likely be the one that changes the program on your external keyboard.

Now, if you do not change stage settings on the Px, then you can change the tones on any of the 4 zones.  You can do this by using the + or - keys, or by pressing an Instrument button and + or - keys.  In general, the transmission will be on Bank 0 (GM) and the program change on the external keyboard will correspond.

We're still just thinking about the Px-5s, so we won't talk about the external keyboard setup.

3. Globally, if you want the Px-5s to transmit midi data, and you want it to be the master (do you want the timing based on the Px-5s clocks?) Use the [sys Setting] button and go through the options until you find the Midi information you need to set.  If you are using the Midi in and Midi out ports (not usb), make sure you Midi Out set to Keyboard - so that what you play on the Px-5s goes to the keyboard

4. Controllers (sliders, dials) are going to be zone based.  Refer to 2a. when you set up your stage settings.  The sliders and dials should be active and they can be set to control  various midi CCs.

Once you have the Px-5s set up how you want, or have at least mapped out your intentions, you can move on to your second keyboard.

5. You definitely want the keyboard to receive info from the Px so the midi out from the px to the midi in of the Korg.

6. Make sure the Korg is setup to receive info.  There may be a control where all channel information is received over channel 1 (or some other channel you select).  Make sure this is set.  Do some simple test by playing on the px-5s and see if the Korg Plays

7. Refer back to item 2,a,b.  Change stage settings and/or tones on the Px and see how the korg responds.  It may not be as you expect.

7a. The px-5s has a fairly complicated program change system.  There are several banks, and the banks can be set to transmit I think (though I haven't tried it).  These banks may influence the program changes on the korg.  The stage settings, for example, have their own bank, as opposed to piano sounds for example, which have their own bank.  You may have to do a lot of experimenting to get which program change from the px-5s will draw up the program change you want on the korg.  You may also NOT want the px-5s to control the program changes and only do so from the Korg.  There should be settings on both machines to manage this.

8. Check the sync timing.  If you want to follow the Px midi clock, you may have to set the korg to slave.

9. You want to be able to control the expression (do you mean volume? Expression can be set to or mean anything) on the Px-5s through the Korg.  That means you'll need the midi out from the korg to the midi in of the px-5s.

10.  Determine which channel the volume control will come through.  You may run into trouble trying to control both keyboards from each other - the results may be a little different than you expect.  In general, if you send midi from the korg back to the px-5s on a channel that it is using to control the korg, you may inadvertently change the program (the tone) on the px-5s - if the volume (expression) is sent with a complete midi string that identifies channel, program, etc.

10b. You should be able to set the px-5s to not receive (or rather not respond to) program change information in case that is sent with the volume control information from the korg.

That's the overall process for setting it up as you want it.

The quick and dirty is just plugging in the cables, pressing buttons and keys, and seeing what happens.