Mark of a great synthesizer

There are time's when im working with sound's on my XW-P1 when I think the music is coming through my speaker's, although it is only going through my headphone's. When I get thing's right on the XW,  even with just headphone's, I swear at time's I can feel the low end in my feet, there are time's when im jamming through headphone's, I have to take them off to make sure the sound isn't coming through my speaker's.

Even though it is just my opinion, I feel that airyness of sound is the mark of a great synthesizer.

Hey Patrick, did you quote me on that? I've said almost word for word what you've expressed somewhere in the "cloud" but in reference to the PX-350 which astounds me with it's realism. I am using AKG240s and an old pair of K66's, but even with a lesser model Philips around the ear headsets, I get the same results with the Casio PX which of course is not a synth. Has alot to do with the quality of components in the audio path. A lesser synth will sound somehow "shallow" even with effects and when many instruments are in the soundfield will lack clarity and spatial separation-all parts will sound indistinct like one mushy sound. And big-sounds that are supposed to sound "big" should sound that way. Most modern synths have improved greatly, although firing up my old Equinox, I was astounded at its depth and quality-the Hammonds in particular are gritty and full sounding. I swear Casio copied this keyboard from 1992-drawbars, arpeggios, phrases, real-time control of effects and mixes with sliders. Small LCD and touchy OS, but this one comes pretty close to being a monster even today.

• Like 1

There is a dedicated website on Synthmania, has mp3s of many of the factory sounds-there are thousands in the Equinox. For some reason, I can't seem to get the hyperlink copied here, probably browser c***ing itself, but search on GEM Equinox sounds, it's :

www.synthmania.com/equinox_61.htm

I'm also bidding on a junk Korg TR76 to rebuild, but from what I've reviewed, it ain't the cream of the crop build-wise. Nothing more fun to me than playing/creating music-that and digging into the tech aspects of any instrument, electronic and acoustic.

I certainly agree with Patrick's sentiments regarding some of the sounds from the P1's Hex Layers. A few demos I've recorded have amazed me at the overall sound on playing back. One sounds of the P1's Hex Layer, 'Sleep State' has a very ethereal, evolving quality, and simply recording the stereo track to Cubase, with no post recording effects, and then playing it back (dry) it sounds almost three dimensional and all enveloping the listener. And that's just one of the preset Hex Layer sounds - there are plenty more to find of similar depth and substance 

• Like 1